• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Gents, went shopping for my first shotgun today and thought I was going to walk out of the store with a Mossberg 590A1. Did plenty of research, fired a couple shotguns, and reaad/listened to some website chatter...but it came down to something I never researched.

Automatic or pump shotguns.

A salesman here in Kiilleen (the infamous Guns Galore) showed me a automatic Mossberg (I think) - it was beautiful and felt great in my hands...and you didn't need to pump to load.

I also looked at a Benelli Nova which was for $379 with tacticool sights (with picatinny rail). Loved that as well and I can afford it.

SOOOO- I can't find too many of you talking about buying autoloaders vs pump shotfuns. Any thoughts or comments????

SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    This is dated information since I left the police department in 1993:

No semi-automatic shotgun was reliable enough for any police department of which I was aware. But there was also a movement back then to go away from shotguns to carbines because of decreased ability to control the path of 9 pellets versus one bullet.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    For a pump it's hard to beat an 870, but the Nova is a good one too. For an uber reliable auto loader, the Benelle line up is pretty impressive, but they also cost quite a bit.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    If you are in the $300-400 range you can easily afford a 12ga Mossberg 500 pump, one of my favorites. Remington 870 is nearly identical, also has a big aftermarket and cult following.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    A good all around would be a pump.

Most of us who shoot pumps all the time can dump 5 shots as fast if not faster than an auto loader

The pumps will have a bit more recoil than a auto loader
    The pumps are lighter

the 870, mossy, ithaca's are all good pumps

I have both auto's and pumps
    When I go hunting I will grab the pump 90% of the time

Here is what my HD shottie looks like

Ithaca 37 featherlight 7+1 with the trigger disconnect (slam fire) bottom eject is the only disadvantage as you can't tack load it.

DefenseWood8Shot.jpg

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    Autos are fun to shoot and I like to hunt with my Beretta. When my life depends on it, I use a pump action. I have used 870's for years and the action has never locked up with a malfunction. I short stroked the gun once trying to shoot skeet with it but that was operator error, not the gun.
    There will be folks who will swear by each one but ask those who carry one for defense to get a more realistic count.
    My vote- PUMP

Buy whatever will make you sleep at night.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I am also in the market for a HD shotgun and will definitely go with a pump for reliability and cost. The 870 is certainly the most popular, but to me the controls on the Mossbergs are in more intuitive locations. Settled on an 18.5" 590A1 with speedfeed stock and ghost ring sites.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Two things to think about,

1. That price range is fairly high end for a pump and low end for an auto. If you want a good auto, you are going to have to spend more.
    2. If you want only one gun, an 870 or 500 series is hard to beat for extras, such as barrels, stocks, and so on. I saw an ad for Cabelas for an 870 with (I believe) a 26" and a 18" barrel in that price range. Pretty hard to beat for an excellent pump as a do-all combo.

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    i have an 870 with an 18.5 inch barrel and an extended mag tube,but i usually reach for my 18 inch sxs coach gun with 00 buck ,in a tight if you ain't hit it in two shots with 12 ga 00 your in deep sh*t anyway i keep both barrels loaded and 6 on the butt stock.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    An auto is excellent for dove hunting. I prefer an auto to a pump for hunting. But don't get me wrong, I have been outshot by a pump many times.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    I am also in the market for a HD shotgun and will definitely go with a pump for reliability and cost. The 870 is certainly the most popular, but to me the controls on the Mossbergs are in more intuitive locations. Settled on an 18.5" 590A1 with speedfeed stock and ghost ring sites.

The Mossy was my backup choice to my new 870. You could get either an 870 or a 590 set up really sweet for under $400 if you shop around.

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC

Yeah, that is what I decided on as well. Good choice!

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Great comments gents- the shotgun is for HD and will sit by my bed for years with only bi-monthly visits to the range. I'm not a hunter but love the feeling of a shotgun for HD. Grew up as an MP firing the 870 but loved the Mossburg once I shot it several months ago!

Thanks again for all of your comments.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Pump ot Automatic ? Good question answered by use and prospective owner. I have owned several Remington 1100s, loved them all, presently for defense or whatever an old Winchester Model 1897 pump in 12 Ga. Bought this one for Cowboy Action back when, cut the barrel to legal 18 1/2", kept it clean and oiled and the absence of modern disconnector makes it go boom while holding the trigger back every time its pumped, like lookout zombie !!! Birds and clays, I have a Russian over & under that doesn't seem to miss clay pigeons, Sorry it isn't a high dollar American or Italian O&U but again money....Being old and retired leaves only memories and past experience.....Vote this Fall to get back to real America !!!!!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I was in a gun store one day and a young couple came in and told the salesman they had been broken into and wanted to purchase a pistol. He suggested they get a pump shotgun instead. When the lady (who seemed to be in command) objected, he said, "Turn around and watch the people in the store." Then he racked the action on the pump. Everyone in the store looked over at him. He told the couple, if you're behind a door and someone is trying to get in, you can yell, "I've got a gun!" and MAYBE the bad guys will believe you, but maybe not. If you rack that slide, they will KNOW you have a gun, what kind it is, and how big of a hole it will open up. Chances are pretty good they'll leave. Everybody recognizes that sound.

A pump also allows you to do any other hunting or skeet shooting you wish.

If you can only afford one shotgun, make it a pump. The 870 has a great, long standing reputation, and the Mossburg is a very good low $ shotgun that will last a long, long time.

Top Bottom