• ...and so much more!
  • Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    I have a couple of these on some short barrel builds. They are pricey but extremely effective in reducing muzzle flash and sending the noise downrange to your target. The Area419 Hellfire Linear Flash Suppressor.

1704580395012.png

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I never had any thoughts of wanting an AR pistol, but with all of the attention the brace rule litigation has brought about, I decided to build one. I procured an SB3 brace and I’ve decided to just stick with .556 NATO caliber (or .223 Wylde). So my questions are mostly, what barrel length, twist rate and are there any tricks or things I should know, or avoid, what works best. All input is welcomed.
    Thanks
    What do you mean by "build"? Buying a kit or sourcing parts individually?

I bought a few build kits and have been happy with their quality and performance for the low price tags.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    [QUOTE="Coon, post: 3012742, member: 45586] As I typed that, I realized that I would probably have to buy or load specialized .556 loads for this pistol. So now I’m rethinking my caliber choice. The plan is for this to be a truck gun, but I really don’t want a pistol caliber. That ballistics table also has me rethinking my caliber choice.[/QUOTE]

Why? You plan on taking long range shots on Elk? Taking on guys in body armor? Killdozer coming at you full speed?

Factory ammo (or similar reloads) will be fine. 5.56/ 223 will be fine.

I read your OP as you just want to build a pistol to have a pistol. Just do that then. Build one and enjoy it.

There will always be a better platform. Always a better caliber. Always a better bullet. Always a better barrel length. Always a better opinion.

You can drive yourself crazy worrying about every aspect. It makes it not enjoyable anymore.

BTW a truck gun should be cheap and reliable unless you plan on taking it out of the truck every time you exit.

Coon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    What do you mean by "build"? Buying a kit or sourcing parts individually?

I bought a few build kits and have been happy with their quality and performance for the low price tags.
    Initially I wanted to actually build it, but I can't build it nearly as "cost effective" as a kit. Assuming I can find exactly what I want. I've bought two PSA AR rifle complete uppers that have been great. So I'm open to a kit if I can find what I want.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    Initially I wanted to actually build it, but I can't build it nearly as "cost effective" as a kit. Assuming I can find exactly what I want. I've bought two PSA AR rifle complete uppers that have been great. So I'm open to a kit if I can find what I want.
    .300 Blackout is a good round for a pistol in the 8” plus range. It’s not as loud or has as much pressure/recoil as a 5.56, has variety of effective loads available, and works with a lighter buffer. Ammo does cost more.

.300 blackout I feel works better on hogs and humans than the 5.56/.223 varmint round.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    My 5.56 is an 11.5”. Shortest i would run would be ~10.5”. even my 8.5” 300blk, if I were doing it all over again, I’d get something longer.

Coon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    Well, y'all have convinced me. I'm going to go .300 blk. I figure that as a truck gun, it will mostly be used on hogs and varmints (coyotes and foxes). It will come out of the truck at the end of every day, so there is the possibility of me using it out the back door for the national forest critters that come after my chickens. 11.5 inches with a linear comp.
    Thanks everyone for your input.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    .300blk is expensive and rare. If you aren't already set up to reload, or have a .30 caliber suppressor, it's a big investment.

5.56 isn't the best out of >14.5" barrels, but even the cheapest m193 55gr ammo will still yaw and fragment out past 50 yards out of a 10.3" barrel. Better rounds (m855a1, mk262, mk318, gold dot, TAP, fusion, etc) will perform better.

11.5" is a good length. Velocity is already a non-issue, the real benefit with longer barrels is the increase in parts life, as shorter barrels will break bolts, extractors, and cam pins.

Coon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    .300blk is expensive and rare. If you aren't already set up to reload, or have a .30 caliber suppressor, it's a big investment.

5.56 isn't the best out of >14.5" barrels, but even the cheapest m193 55gr ammo will still yaw and fragment out past 50 yards out of a 10.3" barrel. Better rounds (m855a1, mk262, mk318, gold dot, TAP, fusion, etc) will perform better.

11.5" is a good length. Velocity is already a non-issue, the real benefit with longer barrels is the increase in parts life, as shorter barrels will break bolts, extractors, and cam pins.
    That's good information. That's why I love this forum. The wealth of knowledge and experience available and the members here are happy to pass it on.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I wouldn’t call 300BO rare by any means. You can walk into virtually any Academy and find it on the shelf. It will cost more than 223, but it will be there.
    Using Ammoseek as a source, brass cased 223 can be readily had for 42 cents/rd plus shipping, while 300BO is at 58 cents/rd plus shipping. I wouldn’t call that exceedingly expensive.

@Coon if you do decide to go 300BO, don’t be afraid to go a bit shorter than 10.5”
    If you’ll notice in the chart posted on page one, a 9” 300 can have as much energy as a 14.5” 223.
    Of course it would also depend on how far out you want to try and reach critters as well. A 9” 300 is probably not going to be a great 200 yard rig.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I wouldn’t call 300BO rare by any means. You can walk into virtually any Academy and find it on the shelf. It will cost more than 223, but it will be there.
    Using Ammoseek as a source, brass cased 223 can be readily had for 42 cents/rd plus shipping, while 300BO is at 58 cents/rd plus shipping. I wouldn’t call that exceedingly expensive.

@Coon if you do decide to go 300BO, don’t be afraid to go a bit shorter than 10.5”
    If you’ll notice in the chart posted on page one, a 9” 300 can have as much energy as a 14.5” 223.
    Of course it would also depend on how far out you want to try and reach critters as well. A 9” 300 is probably not going to be a great 200 yard rig.
    It's certainly more rare than the single highest volume centerfire rifle cartridge sold. It's certainly more rare whenever there's a panic.

That 58 cpr .300 is ammo inc, which if you factor in all the duds you'll have will put you in the high 70 cents per round

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    It's certainly more rare than the single highest volume centerfire rifle cartridge sold. It's certainly more rare whenever there's a panic.

That 58 cpr .300 is ammo inc, which if you factor in all the duds you'll have will put you in the high 70 cents per round
    “More rare” is obviously subjective.
    223 is more rare than 22LR, I guess OP should not consider it either.

There are multiple manufacturers at that price point.
    58cpr, I’ve used plenty of it, and its good ammo.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    “More rare” is obviously subjective.
    223 is more rare than 22LR, I guess OP should not consider it either.

There are multiple manufacturers at that price point.
    58cpr, I’ve used plenty of it, and its good ammo.

Subjective is one thing, but it's not all that subjective if we're talking about the two most popular rounds for the ar15.

Ok, I'll give you that your still more expensive ammo will work. Meanwhile 5.56 is still cheaper, more available, and there's an election right around the corner. Thats always good for ammo prices

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston

I wouldn't call 300BO that rare either...it's pretty common. 223/556 will sell out first in a panic over 300BO. Don't think either of those should justify steering someone away from the catridge.

Also don't understand the dud comment for mass produced ammo from manufacturers? Doubt there will be any squib loads in there.

Top Bottom