• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    ok, I've gathered from many of the people here that they use a grease to lube their AR. That it last longer ect.

So I picked up some Hoppe's Gun Grease. Now that I'm reading the label, it specifically says this if for "idle firearms."

Did I buy the wrong stuff? Thanks
    Venture Surplus ad

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I'm not sure how thick Hoppe's gun grease is. I use what the military issued for the M16, LSA Weapons Oil which is a lot thicker than just plain oil but not as thick as the grease they used for the M1 Garand. LSA is a medium weight product. I have a feeling the Hoppe's may be too heavy.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sounds like Hoppes grease is cosmoline. Yes - it is cosmoline or something similar: Hoppe's 9 - Gun Grease It's a storage grease.

Go to the local auto parts store. Pick up some moly wheel bearing grease. Works just fine. I prefer moly brake grease, but that's partially because I get little packets of it for free at work. The stuff works great - molybdenum disulfide actually bonds into the metal, and it can actually work even better dry (but you kind of have to bake it in for that). The wheel bearing grease will be heavier than the brake grease (not the silicone crap), but it should work just fine on an AR.

Lube the bolt where it rides inside the carrier, assemble it and then lightly lube along the little raised areas on the bolt carrier. You don't have to slather it on, you don't have to grease the whole carrier - just the raised areas that actually touch the receiver. It seems to work better than oil, and definitely stays put a lot better.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I use a new product called Slipstream.

Full Disclosure: Slipstream is a new product, less than a year old at this point. I'm a staff member at WeTheArmed.com - Index, which is owned by the owners of Crusader Weaponry, the makers of Slipstream. I was one of the first users of the lube. I am not an employee of Crusader, nor do I get any compensation for my reviews of the product. I've paid for my Slipstream.

Ok, now that all the fine print is out of the way, I strongly recommend Slipstream for any gun, including AR's. The kit costs $20 and includes an oil and a heavier grease. I originally put the grease on my bolt carrier group and charging handle. The effect was quite noticeable. I had been using Hoppes oil and Rem oil, and this stuff is so much better. And a little goes a long way. I have lubed all of my guns, some multiple times, and haven't put a dent in the kit. The oil is good for small parts, like trigger groups. It works its way into the springs and pins and actually improves triggers, in my opinion. The grease is good for surfaces like slide rails, and the friction surfaces on bolt carriers- parts that get hard use and where you want the lube to really stay put. A combo works well in some cases (I grease the frame rails on my Sig P226, and oil the slide rails. It's smooth as silk)

I really can't say enough good things about Slipstream, but I also don't want to look like the new member here who is just spamming the board. I promise, I'm not. I'm just suggesting a product that I've had very good experience with.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I use TW25B. It is an excellent lubricant, and fairly thin so it won't get gummy. Also Shooter's Choice Synthetic is good, although it is a bit heavier than TW25B. You can also use just about any white lithium grease. You can find that in the automotive department, like at Wal-Mart.

That Hoppes grease is more for storage.

tommyh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Houston
    Mobile 1 fully senthetic motor oil. lasts longer than gun oil, cleans easier than grease, and a few drops is all it takes. ARs like to run wet!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Go to the local auto parts store. Pick up some moly wheel bearing grease. Works just fine.
    Ha! I thought I was the only one who uses this... I've had gun snobs talk smack about using an automotive grease on guns before, but it works great and is cheap. I also like to apply CLP to one surface and moly grease to the other sort of like Outbreak said. Everything feels super smooth doing it this way.

Top Bottom