Hurley's Gold

AR Lightweight Budget Build Challenge: See my results!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Was I successful in my light weight budget build?

• You did a-okay son, yes you did.

Votes: 8 61.5%
    • No, I would have done this different (explain what you would have done differently).

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    thread drift2.jpeg
    Texas SOT

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    .30-06 is the ultimate rifle round. It is more than capable of taking any game on earth within reasonable distances.

It is what brought us into the spitzer bullet era, and upon it's adoption and subsequent modernization in 1906.

It has earned it's legend in WW1, WW2, Korea, and Vietnam.

You can still find lots of AP, tracer, and incendiary loadings

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Correct. 30-06 even when compared to more modern cartridges, is a great choice for bridging that gap between none magnum and magnum performance. Look at the 338-06. It failed marketing wise but if you look at its ballistics holy smokes was it good.

And you put a 200-220 grain bullet in an 06 hot load you don’t really need a magnum. Here’s the thing…debating a few inches matters on paper but how much does a few inches really matter? You get a good shooter and you want energy down range and ammo should be cost effective…the 30-06 gives you all that vs using a magnum

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Why are we always on TGT at the same time? :laughing:

Also, 30-06 is a boomer caliber. I don't buy it and I have no reloading dies, etc for it.
    Referring to a caliber that was adopted in 1906 as a boomer caliber makes you appear to be a crayon eater. My Great Grandfather was issued a 30.06. His son a 30 carbine, his son a 308. Must of us boomers, the 556. So what would be the boomer caliber? Your generation would be the airsoft caliber. The .06, like its predecessor the 45-70, are still used by many hunters, yes I know the 30-40, and 30.03 were in between. It has just recently outlived it's military use. The last batch of LC ammo was 2002. Due to its potent ballistics, and still readily available milsurp ammo it, lives on. And ya don't need dies to shot it.

Last edited:

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Referring to a caliber that was adopted in 1906 as a boomer calier makes you appear to be a crayon eater. My Great Grandfather was issued a 30.06. His son a 30 carbine, his son a 308. Must of us boomers, the 556. So what would be the boomer caliber? Your generation would be the airsoft caliber. The .06, like its predecessor the 45-70, are still used by many hunters, yes I know the 30-40, and 30.03 were in between. It has just recently outlived it's military use. The last batch of LC ammo was 2002. Due to its potent ballistics, and still readily available milsurp ammo it, lives on. And ya don't need dies to shot it.
    Boomer caliber. :laughing:

Top Bottom