AR 15 DPMS: Was it the shooter or rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    How can you want to shoot, but...
    Be such a bad shot, that...
    No one wants to even train you???

Think about Skumala Harris' "selection" as V.P.
    Seems the leftists like worthless humans for puppets...

Joe
    His classmates were interviewed and they said he was bullied pretty much daily in high school. This might explain a lack of social media presence too. If he was angry, I wonder why he chose to take it out on Trump rather than his bullies. Maybe he thought this would make him famous but no manifesto so far.

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    Depends on how good the other shooters on the team were and how much competition there is to get on the team.

If they had a really good shooting team and a guy shows up to try out and just shoots “ok” there’s a good chance they’d tell him “sorry, practice and try again next year”.

Hard to quantify his skill without knowing who he was competing against for a spot. Or how the teams are structured, limits on team size, etc.
    I spent several years hunting in the western PA area with a friend who lives in the area. Smallbore rifle shooting is a big deal in that area, with most high schools and 4H clubs having a team. The competition can be fierce, so if the local team wouldn't take him, he was probably either a very poor shot, or else he had other issues (maturity, sanity, etc.).

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I spent several years hunting in the western PA area with a friend who lives in the area. Smallbore rifle shooting is a big deal in that area, with most high schools and 4H clubs having a team. The competition can be fierce, so if the local team wouldn't take him, he was probably either a very poor shot, or else he had other issues (maturity, sanity, etc.).

If the competition is fierce wouldn’t that mean a much higher standard to make the team?

hornetguy

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    You guys have me curious.... if possible, I'm going to take the AR to the range this weekend, to see what it's capable of with factory ammo. It will only be 100 yds, but it should give an idea of the capability of one DPMS rifle. IIRC, I took the scope off that one, and put a Romeo on it... so it should be almost apples/apples.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The rifle, unless its a total dog paired with the worst ammo he could find, can more than make that shot

Even if it's doing 8+ MOA, there's nothing stopping one round getting that close.

The guy was not accepted for his schools rifle club, but they're shooting irons only. Red dots are much easier for new/less experienced shooters to make hits with.

I've been shooting my AP5 a lot recently, and i can get pretty consistent first round hits offhand (probably 80%ish) at 100 yards on a reduced size silhouette. Prone with an AR would be nothing.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    DPMS factory rifles are not accurate.

The shooter was not accurate. He was not allowed on the high school shooting team because the instructor kicked him out and said he was too dangerous.

Use some common sense people.
    My LR 308 with zero mods shoots cloverleaf groups at 100 yards.
    My AP4 will do 1-1.5” groups from a sandbag all day long.

The LR308 has over 1,000 deer killed with it.

Mohawk600

Anti-woke
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Not bragging. I killed deer at the taxpayer’s expense for over 5 years.
    Hoji..........I totally believe you.

I was just poking fun at the discussion of DPMS accuracy and AR 15 accuracy in general. Everyone familiar with the platform knows that a decent shooter even with a DPMS at 100 yds would hardly have to try.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    We have no idea and will never know if he could accurately shoot. The shot that grazed Trump's ear might have been aimed by the shooter at center of mass and he missed a lot. Or maybe he was aiming for a headshot and just missed. We simply don't know.

Maxrobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2022
    Nashua, new Hampshire
    He bought ammo the morning of the shooting. Perhaps his dad had the ammo secured. He bought ammunition at Allegheny Arms & Gun Works, which is a mile from his Bethel Park home.

"Officials told CNN that the day before the rally, Crooks went to the Clairton Sportsmen's Club to do target shooting. Crooks was a member of the club."

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    My 16” LR308 is a joy to shoot. I have a ton of crap attached to it so it certainly isn’t light. It shoots as straight as I can aim. Had it out to ring 300 yard steel about six months ago. I don’t think I missed a 10” gong in probably 300 rounds. That Trash Panda was justa glowing. This kid was just a really crappy shot.

Top Bottom