• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thequintessentialman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2015
    Been thinking that I want to build an AR style rifle in .308 & I want to keep costs low for this pilot project in case I break something, but still want something reliable when I finish. At my level of experience (or total lack of) a complete kit would probably be the best starting point (Think "paint by numbers")... at least for the first one. What are some of the good quality brands to look at that will not break the bank. On the first build, I don't really want to get involved with trying to mix and match brands. From what I have read, the 7.62/.308 are not as standardized and as easy to interchange parts as the 5.56/.223.

Thanks

bptactical

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    CO
    Buy a complete rifle, make changes as the mission role defines it.
    Armalite has some unbelievable deals right now on the older!B models. Great rifles, the only drawback is they are magazine specific.

rdb241

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    The fourth rifle down, or 2nd rifle up, is a Mega Maten matching upper and lower built with DPMS parts. I knew nothing about building a .308 when I started, but have built a couple of AR15's prior. They go together pretty much like a 15. True there are not as many options as a 15, but they do have quite a bit of stuff available to trick your gun out.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Buy a complete rifle, make changes as the mission role defines it.
    Armalite has some unbelievable deals right now on the older!B models. Great rifles, the only drawback is they are magazine specific.

This^^^ By the time you get done buying all of the parts to build a rifle, the tools, the learning, buying a complete rifle will teach you the same things at a much lower cost with an operating rifle. ARmalite is an awesome company and has stellar customer service. They have their "A" models that accept the Magpul mags or DPMS mags.

DSCN2111.jpg

rdb241

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    This all may be true and a matter of opinion. But when you buy a complete rifle, you do not get the satisfaction and pride of building it yourself.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Pick up a Ruger SR762. Then have an excellent rifle with a lifetime warranty.

PBR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Houston
    some dont like them and some do but i have couple of PSA ar-10 and have had no issues with either one and are very accurate -- one 18" and one 16" -- the 16" i just got the upper the other day and complete ar-10 was like $575 with shipping and ffl transfer, very hard to beat price wise and are great for my needs and wants

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa10-16-mid-ss-308-1-10-rifle-kit.html -- was on sale for $449
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa10-blemished-308-stripped-lower-receiver.html -- was on sale for $74.99

now will change out handguard, stock and grip later but still wont have very much in it even then

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    A lot of good info here for the OP.
    Bottom line. If you have built an AR before, this should not be that hard or expensive and you should have modt if not all the tools you will need. PSA is hard to beat price wise for a first build. The go somewhere like Ground Zero Precision and build it better if you want. Or as a second better build.

And have fun.

from an idgit coffeeholic

smee78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    I went with a PSA Moe 20" upper with the rifle length gas system and a Moe lower parts kit and one of their stripped blem lowers and put together a great gun. I believe they are selling them for about $600-$650 right now.

Top Bottom