• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I took my lady friend to an AS for her birthday. Both of us are 60+ and I'll give our perspective.

Pace is extremely fast. Shooting time in each stage is very short. Be familiar with your rifle & make sure it is reliable.
    We both have mobility issues. You must get up & down into shooting positions very quickly.
    There are magazine changes in some stages.
    We both loved the Revolutionary War stories.
    Bipods are not allowed.
    Slings are a must. The best is the Garand cloth web sling.
    They shoot in ALL weather conditions except for during close lightning strikes.
    Bring a ground tarp and a pad. The ground we shot from was rock hard!
    Bring lunch and drinks. There is no time to go out to lunch.

That's as straight as I can put it. Make SURE your equipment is reliable! There is no time available to nurse a fussy rifle or sights. We both used scoped rifles and had them sighted in at 25 yards. Their pet rifle is a 10-22 with Tech Sights and a sling.

Flash
    Venture Surplus ad

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I took my lady friend to an AS for her birthday. Both of us are 60+ and I'll give our perspective.

Pace is extremely fast. Shooting time in each stage is very short. Be familiar with your rifle & make sure it is reliable.
    We both have mobility issues. You must get up & down into shooting positions very quickly.
    There are magazine changes in some stages.
    We both loved the Revolutionary War stories.
    Bipods are not allowed.
    Slings are a must. The best is the Garand cloth web sling.
    They shoot in ALL weather conditions except for during close lightning strikes.
    Bring a ground tarp and a pad. The ground we shot from was rock hard!
    Bring lunch and drinks. There is no time to go out to lunch.

That's as straight as I can put it. Make SURE your equipment is reliable! There is no time available to nurse a fussy rifle or sights. We both used scoped rifles and had them sighted in at 25 yards. Their pet rifle is a 10-22 with Tech Sights and a sling.

Flash

Thanks Flash. I am looking forward to the history lesson as well. ^^That's the rifle and set up I plan on taking.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I had several Tech Sights and didn't like them. I took them off and sold them. Our AS range faced into the sun and iron sight shooters had Hell with the sunlight. Bonnie and I both used scoped 22's and I'm satisfied that that's the way to go. There is so much working against you at an AS that anything you can do to make it easier makes sense. The biggest trial will be the extremely short preparation times and dropping into position from standing in that short time limit.

Replaceable box magazines are the way to go. Tube .22 magazines do NOT work. There is little point in shooting a high power rifles in the first day. It's a waste of ammo and money. We did not return for the second day so I can't advise you on that.

Flash

Last edited:
    Top Bottom