• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Has anyone been to one? From what I've read it looks like it would be fun and the training would be good for me.

There is an event next month in the DFW area and I want to sign up but I would like to hear about some of our member's personal experiences.
    ARJ Defense ad

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    It's essentially a history lesson with military-emulated shooting. They even use Army targets. Each one is run by different people so you can get a really good one or a pretty bad one.

I was in the military so I've never gone myself. I did my Appleseed on Uncle Sam's dime. I'd still like to go some day just for the experience.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    The one on April 22nd is a .22 only event which is okay. I have a 10/22 but it has a cheap scope on it with no parallax adjustment now.Should I buy a set of target sights for it and loose the scope altogether? I've never used open sights at the ranges they talk about but I guess that's kind of the point. I might learn more.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    .22's are better because they are cheaper to shoot and don't induce a flinch like a lot of rifles would after a few hundred rounds for a inexperienced shooter.

They want you to learn with iron sights.

They want to teach you how to properly use a sling.

You only shooting 25 meters so most guns are good enough in the accuracy department.

Taking a magazine fed semi-auto rifle is best, because it's easier to keep up with the fast pace.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I thought about using my SKS
    3rd time I took the class there was a gal that qualified with an SKS. I really think a magazine fed simi auto .22lr with good sights is the best.

If you have nothing a Marlin 795 is a great gun to get, buy 2 or three extra magazines, drop a proper sling on it and some tech sights.

Marlin 795 - Marlin Model 795 +2 or more mags. 3 total.

Tech Sights - Marlin 60 & 795 Rifle - adjustable aperture sights

Sling - CJ Weapons M1 Garand Web Sling Cotton Olive Drab

Take it while the weather is nice.

If anyone in the Houston area wants to go to an Appleseed::

IF you don't have a rifle or if you want to take you son or daughter and don't have a rifle PM me and I'll let you use my Ruger 10\22 setup with Tech Sights, a few magazines and a sling. I'd offer ammo but I can no longer do that.

Last edited:

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I do alright with the original commie sights have been considering a Mojo after seeing hickock45 use them on some of his Marling lever guns.

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    Have never done an Appleseed, but want to do one. Already have a Ruger 10/22 with Tech Sights. Main problem, though, is .22LR ammo is next to impossible to find right now.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    I have never shot Appleseed, but would love to. I have a Ruger 10/22 with Williams peep sights and a sling. How many rounds do you need? How many magazines?

From the desk of a literate squirrel named Leonard.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Appleseed - How to Prepare for an Event

Notice: During the present shortage of .22 ammo of all kinds, Appleseed offers a new Low Round Count Course of Fire, so that instead of the usual 400-500 rounds we suggest you bring 200 rounds. Be sure to check with the Shoot Boss of your event to see if it is an LRC event. Always, as long as this shortage lasts, if you can bring more to share with others on a cost reimbursement basis, please do so.

Two mags. 10 rds. each. Bring extra mags. if you have them.

Top Bottom