• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I've done it and had a great time and then did it again with two friends one a new shooter. We all had a great time. Sight in your rifle before you go. Go with an open mind, follow their instruction and the targets don't lie about how good of a shot you are are are not. Feel free to ask me any questions you have specifically about it.

I'll be going again in November once things cool down. First time I took a Ruger 10\22 the second I took my AR15 shooting .223.

My Setup..jpg
    EMT Folks..jpg
    pencil.png

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Fredericksburg is closest to me. They have weekend events scheduled for late September and early December there (maybe more, but those are the two I remember). I was thinking the December one. I was going to take my AR (hopefully, it will be fully configured by then).

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Appleseed is a decent way to learn basic static marksmanship. However, it will not teach you to fight with a rifle, and many of the techniques taught are of no use from a defensive/offensive standpoint (except the fundamentals of course). I say that so that everyone understands up front what Appleseed is. It's purely fundamentals and a history lesson. It's also a great way to introduce kids to firearms IMO, and hopefully teach them a little about our history.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Not really a match per say. At one of these events you are taught how to shoot from prone, sitting and standing. You then shoot an AQT

10 rounds Standing in 2 minutes - possible 50 points

10 rounds Standing to Seated in 50 seconds with a mag change (load 2 & 8 or if your rifle doesn't allow that load 5 & 5)
    5 rounds per target - possible 50 points

10 rounds Standing to Prone in 60 seconds with a mag change (same as above)
    3 on first target, 3 on second, and 4 on last - possible 50 points

10 rounds Slowfire Prone in 5 minutes. No mag change necessary
    2 on first target, 2 on second, 3 on third, and 3 on last - Double the score on this stage for 100 possible points.

Total clean score would be 250 points.

MVC-820Xa.jpg

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Yes. It's possible. The fewer folks there the more time you have to run AQTs. Don't expect it though. Out of 30 or so students I've seen 1 ~ 4 riflemen, some of those were there for the second even third time.

I've not made rifleman yet. Part of that was due to time\weather constraints. If you don't shoot Saturday and Sunday I'd say you're odds are very slim of making rifleman just with one day instruction.

This puts a shakdown on your equipment as well. I'd highly recommend not taking a rifle fresh out there unless you expect to be behind the curve the two days.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I treated Bonnie to an Appleseed event for her birthday. It did NOT go well. Both of us are experienced match shooters at Master to High Master level but we are also older (60+) shooters. The pace is FRANTIC and if a person doesn't catch on, they get left behind. The saddest part was to see ladies and kids who were not skilled get left behind in the dust. The good shooters prosper and the ones who really need instruction and patience fail.

If you have any physical issues that keep you from dropping into positions with VERY short time limitations, they will grind your ass into the dust! Bonnie had major back surgery and cannot shoot from positions. She uses a little table that I made for her and she shoots High Master at 200 yards! She was disqualified from shooting for "Rifleman" because she shot from a table! We arranged for her adaptive equipment well in advance but didn't know they would disqualify her for using it!

One of the stories they tell about the Revolutionary War is about a very sick man who instructed his servants to prop him up in front of his home so he could fire at the Redcoats. That's where he died, defending his home and shooting from a rifle rest. He couldn't shoot from positions but he defended his country! He was a Rifleman! Bonnie is a 1st class Rifleman but she wasn't allowed to shoot for the rating.

Here's how the instruction works....... There is a huddle meeting where you are shown how to rig a sling. Two minutes of prep time are announced so you run to the firing line. Some who are not familiar with a sling struggle with rigging it, Commence fire is ordered for one minute. If you aren't rigged and ready, you don't get your rounds off and simply fail. Then they move on to the next instruction. If you didn't master the last stage....tough. That is VERY discouraging to a lady or kid shooter!

A kid next to me on the firing line kept saying "I want to go home!" He seldom hit the BACKING PAPER of his target! They just moved on and let him fail.

It is their philosophy that if you fail to shoot "rifleman" this time, you enroll in the next Appleseed and shoot it next time. In truth, folks get so discouraged that about 1/2 fail to show up for day 2 and couldn't be dragged with a team of horses to another shooting event!

We had a terrible experience. I've heard some say that they had a ball. My advice to you is do NOT take a lady or a new shooter....especially a kid to an Appleseed until you check it out first. That way you will know the routine, equipment requirements, quality of instruction and need for provisions. You will NOT have time to assist your lady or child once the Appleseed begins! After our experience, I checked Appleseed out completely. My information suggests that quality of instruction varies at each event. Some are great and some suck.

What is true in each is the frantic pace, quick instruction (show you once and then shoot for record with virtually no practice. Remember, you are not allowed to touch the firearms during a huddle session) with very short preps, no breaks and short firing intervals.

Need to pee? You dash to the porta potty and miss that instruction session. The pace is relentless!

Day one lasted 9 hours with a short "snatch as you can" lunch. We were broiled, dehydrated and beat to Hell. We did not return for day 2.

Sounds like fun, huh?

Flash

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    All of this is done at what distance? I shoot service rifle, have solid zeros at 200,300 and 600 yards for my rifle.

25 yards IIRC. The targets are scaled to simulate shooting at distance. Some ranges do offer targets out to 400 yards. This may not be for those who already know how to shoot at distance.

I agree,

It's a cookie cutter program for a wide variety of experience levels.
    It's fast paced and two days won't be enough for some there.
    Some of the teachers are not very experienced at the art of teaching outside the Appleseed crate. All volunteers.

That said I've seen the results of a mother and son, who had very little knowledge of rifles and who borrowed two rifles for the course, have a bunch of fun. It was a great bonding experience for them.

If you look in my pictures the second day was mostly rain and mud. My elbows would sink shifting my point of aim and everything was wet for the whole time. Despite the forecast and thunder and lightning that morning before the shoot everyone who signed up for the second day was present.

Sunday Mud Line..jpg

Top Bottom