• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I picked up a used GSG-5 a few weeks ago and while I love the rifle, it is driving me nuts!

The problem is mostly misfeeds, and I think it may be the magazines. They bind up, and I've disassembled, cleaned and even sanded them down in an effort to keep them from doing so. I am also using CCI Mini Mag ammo, which has one of the best reputations of working with the GSG-5.

After another bad range experience, I broke the rifle down as far as I could and cleaned the dickens out of every bit I could. I oiled it up and reassembled everything, but this morning I had the same problem.

I was wondering if someone in San Antonio has one of these and would be willing to let me borrow a magazine or two to see if that is the problem. If better magazines work, then I will pick some up at the next gun show; but they are expensive (especially for being plastic) and I would like to try some before shelling out the cash.

Thanks! M2
    Guns International

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I'm not to that point yet, I just stripped apart the three mags I have, used a Dremel tool to smooth out the middle slot, and sandpapered down the inside a bit. I sprayed them down with silicon spray and they seem to be much smoother, but it will take a return trip to the range to find out for sure.

It seems these are not uncommon problems, as a matter of fact, this appears to be the most common complaint about the GSG-5. I wish someone made steel magazines for it, I just don't think the plastic ones are up to par. It is getting to the point where being able to fire 4-5 rounds without a failure is a pleasant surprise!

But I still love the thing, when it's working it is a blast to shoot! We had MP-5s in Belgium when I was stationed there and the GSG is the closest thing I can afford to one. I just put a Tasco red dot on it, and mine has the collapsible stock, the H&K push pins, and the cocking arm buffer pad. I want to get the thing to run any ammo through it without a problem...wish me luck!

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well, I installed a new barrel and breech block yesterday. When I took the old one out, the bottom of the latter had a few burrs in it that I suspect may have been the culprit.

The top side of the feed ramp isn't too bad...here it is compared to the new one on the bottom...
    IMG_3732.jpg

But check out the burr on the bottom!

IMG_3735.jpg

So hopefully I've got the cure!

Oh, and here's a pic of my baby...

IMG_3733.jpg

Since we are going to the SAXET show on Saturday, then the Beethoven Maennerchor Oktoberfest in the afternoon; we won't be able to get to the range to make sure it's fixed until Sunday morning. If it's still not working properly, I am going to go back to the show to see if I can find a good deal on a replacement...

Cheers! M2

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Any update on this??? I am having Brad send mine off this week to ATI... Is yours registered with them? or over two years old?

Don't toss that old barrel if you were thinking about that...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Nope, I am currently away on a business trip but before I left I tore that damn GSG down and replaced all the screws that hadn't been upgraded and Loc-Tite'd every one I could; and still got numerous FTFs! I was going to buy a magazine at the next gun show and give it a try, because outside that I have no clue as to what I could do to fix it. Considering the items I've replaced, the damn thing should run like a top; but that's not the case and while I entertain the idea of buying a new one, at this point I am not sure what my next move might be. Unfortunately, the one place I would have taken it to for some gunsmithing--Hoguns in San Antonio--is no longer; and I am not sure how old it is (it's a Gen II) and what ATI would do for me. There is someone who works there on a GSG forum who I might ask, as this is the first firearm I've had that's given me so much grief (it's even worse than the Kel-Tec P3AT I had!).

Cheers! M2

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Here is an email address for them... bilal.binici@americantactical.us being that the gun is modified I don't know what they would do at this point... worth a shot to send them the serial number and see when it was built and if it was registered with them already.

I've heard if you can find a Pro-Mag those are better than the OEM ones. I only have one mag so I can't be sure on mine, but if you have three then I'd lean more towards something in the rifle... I love the thing even when it is being a POS, I just have a 1st Anv. edition and I kind of wish I had another to carry on the ranch so I don't cringe when I get it dusty and of course risk getting it scratched up, etc...

On the other side of the coin, I should be able to get them to tell me what they are going to do to mine to try and fix it and maybe you can just order those parts...

Selph Arms in Buda is where I get my work done...

If you end up getting to frustrated with it and want to dump it let me know... I may be interested...

Also you say you upgraded the screws? Did you buy that kit from online and then additional ones local or what? Do you happen to know what screws and sizes have all been upgraded?

Once mine is back from ATI and hopefully all good... I want to start collecting some of those upgrades for after the warranty is up...

HK pin set, screws, buffer are the top three... then I am considering an actual HK rear stock and a railed foreend and vertical grip on it!!! Of course if I find a good deal on a normal one instead of limited edition then I might just leave this one alone and go to town on the next one... ;) so feel free to sell that worthless hunk of junk to me...

lol

Patriot Arms 1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Texas City, Texas
    Pro-mag solved my problem with the GSG-5. Every factory mag would misfeed about every 5th round. Changed out all my mags to pro-mags and have not had a single misfeed. Over 3000 rounds now thru the GSG-5

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Pro-mag solved my problem with the GSG-5. Every factory mag would misfeed about every 5th round. Changed out all my mags to pro-mags and have not had a single misfeed. Over 3000 rounds now thru the GSG-5

HEY, I say the gun is JUNK and he needs to sell it to me cheap!!! so shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

(actually I guess I already opened my mouth and suggested the Pro-Mags so my fault) ;)

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I'm curious, how is your GSG "modified?" I would like to know what ATI thinks in that regard, as mine has the screw kit from RRages (some were already in it, and I put some in myself), as well as the H&K push pins, neither of which would affect the operation or performance of the weapon. Heck, as I stated I've even replaced the barrel and breech block and it still doesn't operate correctly. I've also put in the cocking tube buffer, but it wasn't working properly before that.

If they try and tell me that is because of any of the "modifications" to the rifle I am going to tell them to take a hike!

As for the magazines, they seem to operate properly but for the life of me I can't figure out why I keep getting so many FTFs! Mechanically it's straightforward, the magazine pushes the round up, if slides into the breech block and the bolt pushes it forward into battery. Luckily, it won't fire out-of-battery; which happens a bit (the round not fully going forward into the firing chamber).

I will be interested in hearing how yours performs once it comes back. I think mine is going in the safe for a little while, it's frustrated me too much and I need to take a break from it...

Cheers! M2

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    No my gun is stock... I was referring to I don't know what ATI would do for yours if yours was under two years old and may be in warranty...

I will ask for a parts list of anything they replace so I can pass along the info... again on a serious note if you want to sell it let me know...

I think the screw kit and buffer will be the first two mods...

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    One of the guys that comes to the houston meets regularily has one, and it definetly is a jam-o-matic, not much fun to shoot when it jams 5 time per mag. I think it is the mag design itself, ruger has the right idea with the 10/22 mags, the single stack mags seemed flawed in design.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I was told the Pro Mag magazines make a difference, so I picked one up at the Powderhorn yesterday for $25 (ugh!). I was also told it helps to slap the back of the magazine after loading rounds, so we'll try that as well. We might go out to the range tomorrow (dependent on the weather), I've been out of the country and am still a bit jet lagged (which is why I am up at 5:30am on a Saturday!). If this doesn't work, I talked with a buddy who is a gunsmith that says he'll take a look at it. I really want this dang thing to work, it is a lot of fun to shoot and inexpensive. I saw the Powderhorn has new GSG-5SDs for $550 or something ridiculous like that...

I'll let you know how things work out!

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom