Venture Surplus ad

Anyone Using a Laser Dry Fire Device for Defensive Training?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I used to burn up a lot of ammo and spend hours at the range practicing pull and shoot drills, mostly with instinct shooting at 10 yds without the use of sights. After I gave up reloading and moved away from a handy range, my practice (and skills) dropped way off. I purchased a couple of 9mm laser dry fire cartridges and not run my little drills in the garage and am please to say that my point and shoot skills are not too bad for an old guy.

Any of you guys use these?
    Gun Zone Deals

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I use the Mantis app and laser cartridges. I also have their AR setup. I have it set up near my work desk. I like to laser plink between meetings

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I haven't used it much lately, but I use the program called "ShootOff" which is free and works pretty well for me.
    I got the laser trainer cartridges from Amazon for around $40 each I think.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    The laser cartridges are a very good training tool. Well, not by themselves. But the apps help a lot. You can time your shots, practice draw from a beep, train trigger press etc.
    Nay-sayers often quote lack of recoil as making laser training useless. Since recoil happens after you press the trigger, it really does not affect accuracy of a single shot.
    What is your favorite exercise and app?

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I've used Strikeman with my 9mm pistols. The 45 acp cartridge wasn't available at the time, and I haven't tried to order it again. As the range I usually shoot at does not allow drawing from a holster, it has been useful.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I have Laser Lyte training cartridges for 9mm and 45 ACP. 8 years ago when I first bought them I used them daily for several weeks. I noticed a marked improvement at the live fire range. For the past few years I've been using them exclusively for draw and fire practice, albeit not as often as I should.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I do not use a laser device for dry fire practice because I do not practice defensive shooting by dry firing. I pretty much gave that up maybe 30 to 35 years ago.

I find dry firing essentially to be a waste of time in most cases for defensive shooting. You are never going to be 'shooting' for self defense with an unloaded gun, at least I am not about to do so and hope you will not either.

I will dry fire a new to me firearm, a few times (very few) just to see if it works, or after maintaining it and assembling it, before hitting the range and to get an initial feel for it. However, when I practice defensive shooting, something upon which my life may someday again depend, I practice by way of live fire because for an experienced shooter who is a decent shot there is nothing like the real thing to prepare one for defensive shooting.

I have been considering getting a laser firing kit, I saw one recently at two gun shows, but I'd only use it myself for game like fun in the home or to help a very new shooter but then minimally. I am hesitant though because I never want to fall into what I consider would be a very bad habit of depending even in part on dry firing for defensive practice. Just my way of looking at it.

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I do not use a laser device for dry fire practice because I do not practice defensive shooting by dry firing. I pretty much gave that up maybe 30 to 35 years ago.

I find dry firing essentially to be a waste of time in most cases for defensive shooting. You are never going to be 'shooting' for self defense with an unloaded gun, at least I am not about to do so and hope you will not either.

I will dry fire a new to me firearm, a few times (very few) just to see if it works, or after maintaining it and assembling it, before hitting the range and to get an initial feel for it. However, when I practice defensive shooting, something upon which my life may someday again depend, I practice by way of live fire because for an experienced shooter who is a decent shot there is nothing like the real thing to prepare one for defensive shooting.

I have been considering getting a laser firing kit, I saw one recently at two gun shows, but I'd only use it myself for game like fun in the home or to help a very new shooter but then minimally. I am hesitant though because I never want to fall into what I consider would be a very bad habit of depending even in part on dry firing for defensive practice. Just my way of looking at it.
    All of my shooting is geared towards defensive shooting. Both dry fire and live fire.

Top Bottom