• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    Has anyone (in Houston, specifically) ever hired any of those day laborers you see hanging out at Lowe's and Home Depot in the mornings? How much per hour is typical?

I need some yard work done and was thinking about hiring the help out rather than breaking my back doing it. And I know they're most likely illegal aliens. I'm not looking for legal advice.

Thanks!
    Venture Surplus ad

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Not meant as "legal advice", but as cautionary.....be VERY aware that if you're found to have illegal aliens in your employ, you could be facing stiff legal sanctions. Do with that as you will.

Cyberlink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington
    I have hired them for odd jobs, Not all of them are illegal some are just people down on there luck looking to make a few bucks.

I dont know what others pay them but when I have used them in the past I normally pay $10+ and hour. Then through in lunch and a 6 pack of beer after the job. But that is just me.

They never say what they expect to get paid and I never have an idea what it costs.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    $10 hr is pretty typical I've been told, and most are paid in cash. As far as the illegal part, let your conscious be your guide. Not being a lawyer I can't give definitive advice on what would happen if you were found to have illegals doing a day job for you, but my sense of it is probably little or nothing would happen.

I have a lawn service to mow my lawn weekly, and I can say with a pretty high level of certainty that some of those workers don't have all of there papers in order.
    It used to bother me, but in reality, if you're going to have such work done, chances are not all workers will be completely legal. I wish we had a well thought out and regulated guest worker program, but with the current administration, that is pie in the sky.

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    I was thinking of $10/hour but didn't know if that was too high/too low or what.

As far as the legal issue, if the contractors here aren't getting busted (and they aren't) when they have dozens and dozens of illegals on all of their construction projects on a daily basis, I highly doubt the feds will come after me for having 2 guys do my yard.

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    How about finding a couple neighborhood kids willing to do the work. Show them how it's done, and set them on their way to making money and being productive.

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    The fact of the matter is that there aren't any kids of the appropriate age in the neighborhood. They're all either toddlers or away at college. I would hire my nephews but their schedules are too full with soccer and this practice and that event and this dance and that whatever for them to earn any honest wages. Me, I worked after school and in the Summers from the time I was 13.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    If you could get them off the Nitendos or X-Box, then it would work............good luck.

Aint that the truth. When I was in my teens I never got an allowance, I always did my chores(lawn work too) everyday. Kids of today are spoiled and the parents arent any better. Didnt mean to get off topic here. $10 an hour sounds reasonable if I lived in Houston I would do it for that.

TXchoctaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Euless
    FWIW, since you live in H-Town, I highly doubt you would have any trouble with the INS or local law enforcement. If you did just give 'Ole Bill White a call and Bingo away go your troubles.

Between 8 and 10 is sufficient for lawn care.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Sorry, know you didn't want legal/moral/doing the right thing comments, but I just have too. Remember the statement about all it takes is for the rest of us to remain silent?

Take some time and look at the Legal jobs available in Craigs List. I am sure you will find a number of places that are hiring those with papers at the $8 per hour point. Were I to hire someone off the street for a job that required no training, no paperwork, no taxes paid, I would be offering about $5 and hour, it is better than nothing and I would ask for green card and social. Most call centers, stores and other places that do not require a degree are in the $8 to $10 range and tax is paid on the paycheck.

Why pay more to someone who is here illegal, why not stop on those street corners that have a "disabled Vet" and ask if they would like to earn a few bucks?

I don't even want to go into the discussion that because someone else is getting away with it, I should.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Not meant as "legal advice", but as cautionary.....be VERY aware that if you're found to have illegal aliens in your employ, you could be facing stiff legal sanctions. Do with that as you will.

That and I'd be too worried about them either robbing me or coming back and burglarizing my house.

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    Sorry, know you didn't want legal/moral/doing the right thing comments, but I just have too. Remember the statement about all it takes is for the rest of us to remain silent?

Take some time and look at the Legal jobs available in Craigs List. I am sure you will find a number of places that are hiring those with papers at the $8 per hour point.

That's a good idea. I didn't think of Craigslist. I could also place an ad there myself.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    why not stop on those street corners that have a "disabled Vet" and ask if they would like to earn a few bucks?
    lol... those guys already have a job... panhandling. Some of them might actually want a job, but most would rather just sit there with their sign and get money.

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    If you are close to a college or university, you might be able to find some students to work for you. Great way to get beer money.

and every time I hear panhandler I always remember the episode of the Simpson's where Homer becomes one to buy stuff for Marge

Rotgirl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2009
    Texas
    $10/hour and pay for at least 8 hours even if I use them for less time. Always buy them lunch and drinks during the day.

The vast majority will break their backs to do a good job.

I'd say 90% that I've hired aren't illegal. Just need work because they aren't "skilled" or have lost a job.

Ciao ya'll.....rg

Top Bottom