Lynx Defense

Anyone have a Rossi/Puma 92 Lever action?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm considering picking one of these up in either .45 Colt or .454 Casull. I've heard good things about them but I wanted to get the skinny from some people on here. If I got the .454 I'd like to also shoot .45 Colt through it, I cannot imagine there would be a problem with that but I figured I'd ask.

I've wanted a lever for a while and I already have a .45 Colt single action so this would be a natural thing to get.
    Target Sports

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I've been considering the same gun, probably in stainless with the darker furniture and HiViz front sight. Anyways, yes, you can shoot .45 long colt in the .454..........but don't try shooting Casull in a .45. It's worth getting the .454 just so you can safely shoot either round.

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    I have one in 45 Long Colt, it is the case hardened reciever octogon barrel western stlye. It is a great shooter, but you need to wear safety glasses when you shoot it because it has a rather large barrel throat for enhanced feding of the bullets and it spits alot of gas towards the rear. It worse with cast bullets than jacketed bullets.

But other than that I like the crap out of it, I hate that they put that safety on top of the bolt but you can remove it and install a plug in the hole. There is a custom gunsmith over by Beamount that slicks them up.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have an older production M92(pre-safety) and I love it. It is chambered in 45LC. It is a hoot ta' shoot and holds 14 rounds ! My semi-octagonal barrel puts the POI off about 6 inches a fifty yards due to the slight offsetting of the rear sight. One of these days I'll get a sight pusher and get it back on the mark. Even though my gun is a 45LC I find that it does have a long throat and will blow-back at ya' if you shoot light/cowboy loads in it. Overall, the action is smooth and reliable, a well built gun. Also, unlike a winchester the loading gate is designed to add rounds as you go and doesn't require that you empty the mag before reloading.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I have one in .357 mag and .44 mag. Absolutely fun to shoot and currently my favorite. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

DSCN0598.gif

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    You can pick up a Marlin 1894 in 357 or 44 for about the same money. I have both of those and love them.

The Marlins have nicer wood, side ejection, no funky top safety and a metal mag follower...not a plastic one that can jam. They're also made here in the USA, not Brazil.

Have you looked at the Marlins yet?

- brickboy240

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You can pick up a Marlin 1894 in 357 or 44 for about the same money. I have both of those and love them.

The Marlins have nicer wood, side ejection, no funky top safety and a metal mag follower...not a plastic one that can jam. They're also made here in the USA, not Brazil.

Have you looked at the Marlins yet?

- brickboy240

I have but I'm not really interested in either caliber, I have .45 bullets at least. I think I'm going to pick something up in .45 colt though.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I've held, but never shot, Marlins and Henrys. Don't like how they feel.

The plastic follower hasn't given me any trouble yet, but from what I've heard, it will eventually. I'll send em over to Steve Gunz one day.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    EMF (Early Modern Firearms) Company out of Santa Ana CA is a good source for the Rossi model 92s. Have done mail order business w/ them on several occasions in the past, and have been satisfied every time.

They have a website; you can google it.

Smokewagon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    West Texas
    I have a M92 Puma, and they are pretty fun rifles, if you're into that style. .45Colt 20" Octagonal barrel. Easily accurate within 100 yards, and with work, good a little farther out. The rear site on mine is a little cheesy lookin' but guite functional. I've worked up blackpowder cartridges for my Ruger Vaquero, which are a hoot to shoot, and intend to try these in the Puma eventually.

Top Bottom