• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    Year and a half ago I decided 60 lbs overweight was too much. Sick and tired of being tired all the time. Went on a low-glycemic index diet - essentially a diabetic diet though I was not diabetic.

Pretty much laid off anything "white" - white flour, white sugar, white rice... If you consider insulin as being the hormone that converts carbs (and sugar is pure carb) to fat, then cut the carbs and you cut the weight. BUT - not so simple. Complex carbs aren't as bad as "white" or refined carbs - take longer to break down, so insulin doesn't spike.

Still not that simple, though. Media would have you believe "just stop x and you lose weight".

It's the mechanism of how carbs and fats get into your bloodstream. There is a barrier in your gut to stop toxins created by bacteria in your gut from getting into the blood. Gram negative bacteria release endotoxins when they die. Endotoxins are incredibly poisonous (without the barrier, mamals would never have evolved). However, they can sometimes hitch a ride on fat molecules. When they enter the blood, they cause a general low-level inflamation. How YOUR body reacts to the inflamation varies, but it is generally presented as arthritis, obesity (due to imbalance in hunger-realted hormones), hypertension, artherioscelrosis, and several other "modern" diseases. "Maybe" even some cancers. Maybe!

The low-fat craze leveraged off this hitchhiking mechanism - lower the fats, lower the toxins in your blood, and the inflamations subside... However when you remove fats, food tastes terrible. So manufacturers subsituted all sorts of chemicals, trans fats, and SUGARS, to make the food taste good again. Back to square one, or worse.

Seems the answer is more in killing off the gram-negative bacteria. Bitter foods tend to alter the pH in your system making for a less hospitable environment for the gram negative bacgteria but leaving good bacteria unharmed. Chinese use bitter melon. Other bitter foods will have similar impacts. The results of removing gram negative bacteria results in fewer toxins entering your blood. Hunger hormone imbalances go away (as do many cravings), the overal infalmation dies down, and your particular reaction to the toxins diminishes.

I lost 40 lbs in 6 months, and have kept it off. I eat a balanced diet, having added far more greens and leafy vegetables. I'm off blood pressure meds, and cholesterol was cut in half and the HDL (good cholesterol) is way up. I still minimize taters, rice, pinto beans, BBQ beans, peas, and anything with white flour or sugar in it. Splenda seems to work fine for me in coffee. Desserts - I look for "no sugar added" ice creams. Kroger house brands and Blue Bunny seem to have a reasonable selection. I look for low carb items, and particularly avoid those where most of the carbs are not dietary carbs (dietary carbs are OK). Meats, natural fats, cheeses, Ranch dressing, eggs are all prominent in my diet. Not much exercise was added, if any. If it's a "low fat" item, I avoid that to avoid the crap they add to make it tastier. Herself kept wanting to buy Lite Butter - until she read the ingredients! Gag.
    Guns International

Tgoody14

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Lake Amistad
    About 10 years ago I gave up sodas. I didn't change anything else about my diet or exercise and I dropped 10lbs in 2 months...
    I never crave them anymore! Well, except for random times when I find those Dublin, TX real sugar cane Dr Peppers. But that's only once or twice a year and I can barely finish them when I do find em...
    Nowadays I just stick to water and OJ

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I have lost 45 pounds which took about a year. What I did was take advice from my wife and started to count carbs. Since I had never looked at the labels on food I was shock to see the amounts that I was consuming! and quickly made changes. The best part is that I have done this without an exercise program. I was never "fat" since I carry my weight over a 6'4" athletic frame but I was at a 40" waist and had some flab. Now I am down to a 35" waist. The foods to look out for are bread or any food like it. The low cal bread is nasty when eaten straight out of the bag but the trick is too always toast it and then make your sandwich. Another trick to losing weight is to buy low cal gum by the brick and chew it when you get hungry. I buy Extra Polar Ice at eh libtard Costco store for cheap and carrying it everywhere. Stay far away from restaurants and fast food which are both so loaded with carbs its criminal. Most everything can be looked up on Google from your phone to see whats in it or you can carry a small carb book just to get started. Another source of extra carbs/calories that I don't need is alcohol. I haven't had a drink in almost two years.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Artificial sweeteners can be counter productive. Your tastebuds trigger your digestive juices to crank up, because you have just consumed something tasting sweet. When your stomach trys to digest something that is not there, it sends a signal back that you are hungry. Artificial sweeteners make you hungry, causing you to eat more.

I have trouble with joint pain when eating any of the artificial sweeteners. It was not apparent until I stopped using them. Mostly I eat the same foods, but every once in a while I try something new and get joint pains. They are usually in things that I would not expect to find them in. They are pretty sneaky about hiding them.

Yes, sugar is bad for you. I don't think it is as bad as the replacements are. Just eat in moderation and variety.

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    ... Another source of extra carbs/calories that I don't need is alcohol. I haven't had a drink in almost two years.

Not at all trying to influence your life style, just a small quibble if I may...

Alcohols are a hydrocarbon, not a carbohydrate. So they are metabolized differently. For all I know the liver breaks it up before it is used as fuel. If you ever see an alcohol-fueled dragster (the 4-wheel kind, not the 2-legged) you know it's got a lot of energy. I'm just not clear if or how that translates to weight gain. I have not moderated my booze intake and weight has not been affected one way or the other. That may be one reason sugar alcohols (xylitol) don't contribute to insulin spikes, therefore don't create fat.

Lots of beer means lots of carbs which goes back to the original discussion! So would sweet wines, and cocktails. I tend towards gin/diet tonics, light Margaritas, or bourbon/rum and diet colas. Easy on wines. really rare to see me drink beer anymore. Thankfully I'm OK with Splenda and other sweeteners. Not so everyone, I know.

It's how things are metabolized. It's certain carbs like sugars and processed starches being the first turned into fat, that count. Then other carbs on down the line.

For whatever reason you're laying off the sauce, congratiulations and more power to you! Don't let me sway you!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Happened to catch a radio show about 12 years ago on Men's Health.

It was not a paid announcement. (The radio station had to do their civic duty to keep their license).

Anyway, the doctor on the show urged his listeners to quit all forms of refined sugar and bleached wheat.

No sodas, sweet tea, candy, cookies, cakes, white bread, etc. (Dark chocolate was O.K.)

I gave it a try, and over the years have shed over 45 pounds of fat.

It does not happen overnight. My weight loss took about a year to start, but then it shed rapidly.

I do walk one or two miles daily, drink lots of water, smoke, and drink my coffee and beer as before.

Your body will hit several plateaus. It is normal as the metabolism adjusts.

Sometimes my normal blood pressure spikes when the wife commences to bitching.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've never liked sweets. Instead, I'm a salty snack person. I drink no soft drinks or other drinks and don't drink anything alcoholic. I do eat some trail mixes that have little bits of chocolate in them and that's PLENTY of sugar for me.

I do miss ice cream but haven't had any of that in years.

Flash

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I cut sugar out of my tea a long time ago but still eat in other ways. I used to consume loads of sweet tea.My brother had cut it out and I soon followed. Moderation is key to all.

I'm not sure Splenda is any better for you, hell it may be worse.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Stay away fro artificial sweeteners, they wi send you to an early grave. Go natural, like sugar, honey, fruit pectin These are much better for your body as it can actually process them. Give up high fructose corn syrup. That stuff will kill you.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Stay away fro artificial sweeteners, they wi send you to an early grave. Go natural, like sugar, honey, fruit pectin These are much better for your body as it can actually process them. Give up high fructose corn syrup. That stuff will kill you.

sugar will send you to an early grave.
    How cancer feeds on sugar (and other big reasons to avoid refined sweets) - NaturalNews.com

Stevia is an herb and is all natural so long as you buy the pure form, you can have as much of it as you wish.

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I've felt a little extra room in my pants over the past 3 weeks. The cravings for a bowl of coco pebbles at 9pm have all but gone away. I treated myself this morning to a biscuit with a spoon ful of my homemade prickly pear jelly. That was darn good.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I've felt a little extra room in my pants over the past 3 weeks. The cravings for a bowl of coco pebbles at 9pm have all but gone away. I treated myself this morning to a biscuit with a spoon ful of my homemade prickly pear jelly. That was darn good.
    What's that stuff? Bacon and eggs for breakfast whenever I can swing it. I'm close to 70 and drank out of the water hose when I was a kid, believe it or not!

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    @vmax, yes if you have cancer it does feed on sugar. If you do not then it is a mute point.

like in can't hear mute? or maybe moot?

I'm not gonna argue with you, heck you may be a medial doctor. All I know is that I have decided to make a change and I feel for the better. Most Americans eat way too much processed sugar, if you don't believe me, go to Walmart and walk around

Top Bottom