• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Looking for real experience for people with Level IV security guard cert. I'm really looking into getting that. I have seen some good prices on Level III and IV.

TXinvestigator, if you have any helpful tips or links please let me know! IIRC you train security guards/and know the business.

Recently unemployed from the Oil job I landed in August (short lived). Work slowed for them since they aren't as popular down here as they are up north yet...My last day we were working a job that didn't even need started for another MONTH! Then I got the fatal call that night saying "we don't need you anymore". Me and the other Temp that was hired with me got the boot.

Now looking to get back into the LE/Corrections/Security career. I have training and 108 credits in CJ. Only reason I haven't tried getting on somewhere yet is due to credit problems from when I was in college... Planning on taking the Academy at SAC this January for Peace Officer.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    Venture Surplus ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    First steps would be to find a school and get your level 3 abd 4 done. You will probably get some contacts in the class.

It can be difficult to break into, as teams tend to be very close knit.

Also the state mandated training is VERY basic. You should look into advanced schols also.

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    There is a school here in San Antonio that is offering the Basic and Advance for 5 days/$425. Level III the week before for like $125.

I'm just looking for ALL/ANY info. Pro's/Con's, training, general job experience/job hunting tips, ect.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I worked Security level I/II when I first moved here in 08, I can't remember what I had to do to get my I/II either. I think I did it online (I) and had a class for II? I remember having to do some stuff online and then I went through a class for the company I worked for. Obviously I need my I/II redone before I can get my III/IV.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    I is now gone, you can take the II/III together usually in a week. I can recommend a good school here in SA. There are plenty of bad ones out there too.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Curious, I've got very little understanding about these things. Why is becoming a jailer work out? I have known some jailers and that is what peeks my interest.

Security work pays nothing unless someone is former high speed mil/LE. Jailer usually pays more and is a steady job, with possibility to move up to Deputy.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Security work pays nothing unless someone is former high speed mil/LE. Jailer usually pays more and is a steady job, with possibility to move up to Deputy.
    He is looking at PPO, which can pay $25 an hour and WAY up.

we placed some guys last year with a Forbes top 400 client and the pay started there at $60k plus all expenses paid, all inside CONUS

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There is a school here in San Antonio that is offering the Basic and Advance for 5 days/$425. Level III the week before for like $125.

I'm just looking for ALL/ANY info. Pro's/Con's, training, general job experience/job hunting tips, ect.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I worked Security level I/II when I first moved here in 08, I can't remember what I had to do to get my I/II either. I think I did it online (I) and had a class for II? I remember having to do some stuff online and then I went through a class for the company I worked for. Obviously I need my I/II redone before I can get my III/IV.
    please advise who the school is for the advanced. There are some places that you will just waste your money.

Look for places like The Executive Protection Institute, TFTT, TEES - Tactical Energetic Entry Systems - Training for Tactical Entry and Explosive Breaching

etc

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    I'll get the name for you in a few. I'll have to look it back up.

The main reason I'm asking/highly interested is b/c my mom is good friends with a guy who has done some big time security. He was a LEO for like 10years, has worked SS for a short time, got an offer from a millionaire to be a bodyguard, later worked security for Will Smith, just last couple of years was head of Security for the Spurs, and is now on his 2nd interview with Jay-Z.

This guy has contacts, and I'm thinking might be a good foot in the door into the business. He has been plenty helpful with giving me some LE advice, even was going to try and hook me up with a Department of Homeland Security gig, but I needed a 4yr degree.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    The good jobs I have heard about require LE or military background. Finish your CJ degree, get a job in the jail as was suggested and you will start to hear about opportunities to go on the street or onto a PPO career. Having experience at a LE agency is always a plus.

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    The good jobs I have heard about require LE or military background. Finish your CJ degree, get a job in the jail as was suggested and you will start to hear about opportunities to go on the street or onto a PPO career. Having experience at a LE agency is always a plus.

Agree, which is why I am going to take the TECLOSE in January. Good advice!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    For many jobs LEO/military is not required. In fact, it takes time and a lot of training to get former cops out of cop thinking. It did for me. The schools are a big help. Most details would take a non-LEO with great credentials over a LEO with only state mandated training.

A cook from the military is not going to get any preference over a non-mil with good training. UNLESS you are Casey Ryback. ;)

I will look at those schools in the morning and give you some feedback.

I have done some great PPO jobs and some crappy ones. I worked for Jerry Springer a few years ago when he was here in Dallas for Americas Got Talent, spent two days with Bill O'Reilly, and workeda Dallas Cowboy personal event a couple of years ago. I did a personal job for an actress from Law and Order. She was my favorite. O well, I digress.***********

Top Bottom