Hurley's Gold

Anybody digging out their ponds in this drought?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Thank you sir. It has consumed me from dawn until dusk trying to get it done.
    The drought has sucked, but you have to take advantage of the cards you are dealt. This pond will never go dry in my lifetime.
    Back in 2010 we had a really bad drought in Texas, and lots of people took advantage of it to do the same as you. Clean up and enlarge their stock ponds and such.

One Saturday I had to take a trip to Sulphur Springs to pick up some parts for a truck I was working on, and outside of Emory on hiway 19, a guy was redoing his stock pond, and he mounted an old Ford 9N tractor on poles in the middle of the pond. I'm supposing that when the pond filled back up, it would look like the tractor was floating or driving across the pond.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    And just like that, it’s full. It rose 10 foot in less than 5 hours.

Last night.

35CCD8D0-9F2C-4286-AD3A-CED2EFC82511.jpeg

Today

E9BC4043-7D33-4D70-91D6-2B5BDAA3EAD8.jpeg

The overflow pipe

1FCB46F2-0BA3-48FD-AA67-6861039C3B55.jpeg

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    A slower fill would have been better, I’ve got a lot of erosion. As long as my overflow pipe holds today, I’ll call it a win.
    In no way am I an expert but did you at least get to compacting the ground? If you did, it should be ok.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    In no way am I an expert but did you at least get to compacting the ground? If you did, it should be ok.
    The only compacting was driving the tractor over it. I hadn’t even filled the trench all the way back in after setting the pipe.

When the wife sent me a picture of how full it was, I left work, immediately!

Trench is now filled. But it was getting very mushy up there. When it dries up some I’ll get more dirt on it

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Back in 2010 we had a really bad drought in Texas, and lots of people took advantage of it to do the same as you. Clean up and enlarge their stock ponds and such.

One Saturday I had to take a trip to Sulphur Springs to pick up some parts for a truck I was working on, and outside of Emory on hiway 19, a guy was redoing his stock pond, and he mounted an old Ford 9N tractor on poles in the middle of the pond. I'm supposing that when the pond filled back up, it would look like the tractor was floating or driving across the pond.
    Something similar to this!

tractor art...jpg

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Daughter's lake was getting low, did see some fish bedding pools. Her MIL says it's up to normal now. One bank is full of goat grass, the other is pretty bare. She planted some winter rye but new crop hasn't come up yet. Looks like sage and thistles where they replanted pine. Without ground cover they silt up pretty fast.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    It already has turtles, lots of frogs, and some snakes.

But no fish. :mad:

If you have a big cooler you might wanna get a portable aerator from Academy (they're like, $15) or two, and start transplanting baitfish from other ponds or public waters? At least get some bait in there, give them a chance to acclimate and grow, then stock bass in.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Amazon has all kinds of cheap fountains to oxygenate the water for the pond too.
    I actually have two wells. A shallow one and a deep one.

It appears that the shallow one was going to the pond before I cut the line.
    It still had amazing water pressure last week when it was still dry. I heard that well is only like 150’ deep.

Top Bottom