APOD Firearms

Any tips on reloading with only one arm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swcc22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    fannin county
    Now I have two arms but after my accident I can only use my right arm.
    Today I went out to the reloading room and figured I would try since I havent been in there and a couple months.
    It was going ok sized and primed 100 cases and it went ok till I went to chage the case. I dont like progressive presses I have a single stage and I have and auto throw charger. So I have to take the pan off the scale and pour it in the case.
    It was so frustrating after 50 rnds which took 3 hours and spilling at least 10 pans full I cleaned up the bench and gave up. Any advise would be grateful.

The only easy day was yesterday.
    ARJ Defense ad

swcc22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    fannin county
    No I just got out of the cast but pt is going slow. I lost 90% of range of motion it just kind of hangs there physical therapist is having my pick up 5lb weights as high as I can. Which isn't far maybe 6in off the table.
    It will get better god won't give me more than I can handle. But I am bored and I enjoy reloading and shooting and im itching to do both.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Ok, I asked because, in my mind, it makes a difference in the ideas to overcome. Not sure that makes sense but that's what I was thinking.

When I lost the use of my right hand for several months, I just fought through everything I needed to do. It also helped somewhat that I am ambidextrous.

swcc22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    fannin county
    I am ambidextrous so writing eating and shooting a pistol is no problem.
    But shooting a rifle which I have three new ones I haven't shot yet and now I have found out reloading is a pain in the rear end if you don't have two hands.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I am ambidextrous so writing eating and shooting a pistol is no problem.
    But shooting a rifle which I have three new ones I haven't shot yet and now I have found out reloading is a pain in the rear end if you don't have two hands.

I didn't mean to come across as arrogant. ( You didn't say i did, i just reread my post) I was just relating my experience. Honestly I don't know what to do to make it work better one handed.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I like this question/post a LOT as I am a one one armed individual that would like to get into doing re-loading when I can find the components for it. And the space.

swcc22 - NOT trying to hijack your thread, just an interesting topic

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I like this question/post a LOT as I am a one one armed individual that would like to get into doing re-loading when I can find the components for it. And the space.

swcc22 - NOT trying to hijack your thread, just an interesting topic

For a permanent situation, such as yours, I would think a full scale progressive with all the attachments would be the way to go.

SinisterNerd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    New Braunfels
    I need to properly introduce my self in the Introductions board. I've been lurking here for year. But you're thread was timely.

I lost might right arm in a boating accident back in 2004. Hasn't slowed me down a bit. But I recently started reloading.

No great tips. But on a single stage press priming is a bit of a challenge. I have an RCBS press mounted waist high. I've found I have to get the primer arm situated with my good had. Raise the lever with my prosthetic and then put a hip check into it to seat the primer.

I screw the powder measure into where the die goes (same threads) and run a shell up and release the powder. A bit of an extra step. But I'm usually in no rush.

I can still knock out 50 rnds in an hour. Not bad for a hobby that I enjoy.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    I was unable to properly use one arm for about 18 months. I did reload a few times during that period. On the progressive the only change was I remained standing so I could go from one side to the other. It was a tad bit slower but I am sure had I done it enough I would have gotten into the "groove." As to the single stage I was able to work the press almost was well as with both hands. I just sat to the side and worked the lever in a top to side arc instead of pulling straight down from in front.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Well, with anything and especially with something like this, you just need to do keep on doing it. As you do you will be surprised at the tricks you will teach yourself to compensate for the loss. Try not to get too frustrated. The tricks you pick up may feel awkward and clumsy at first but you'll perfect them in time.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Well, with anything and especially with something like this, you just need to do keep on doing it. As you do you will be surprised at the tricks you will teach yourself to compensate for the loss. Try not to get too frustrated. The tricks you pick up may feel awkward and clumsy at first but you'll perfect them in time.

Adapt and overcome.
    I may be next, so, I'm paying close attention to this thread.

Bear67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    East Texas
    I am temporarily one armed right now due to cancer surgery on left side. Am still sore, but went out to shop to run the Dillon a while and was ackward reaching around to place bullets. Moot point as it was putting a hurt and strain on the left side. I am bored, but have plenty of loaded ammo to take the grand kids shooting tomorrow anyway.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    winchster

If I might ask, what is a "full scale progressive" and what are the attachments. I have no clue as to what all is required, and what kind of space is required for said items. And are said items adaptable to one hand/arm use? I know how to adapt to most tasks or situations, but I know my limitations as well.

With apologies to swcc22

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Use a really good bullet seating die. The one I wound up with for .223 doesn't require the bullet be terribly straight in the case to get seated straight.

Top Bottom