• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    I had a student ask if it was bad for the gun. I told him that it probably wouldn't hurt in a pinch and would be better than shooting dry. But, considering that it isn't made for that purpose, it may not be the best.

any thoughts?
    Lynx Defense

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    WD40 has a place in gun maintenance, but not for lub or rust prevention. I'll sometimes use it to "Blast" external parts, but that is always followed up with proper products. CLP, grease, what ever. It's also good for spying on/in wet guns, like if you're out in the rain as WD40 is excellent in displacing water. Again, followed up with other products. In a real pinch, with nothing else available, it will provide some lubrication for a short time.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    WD 40 was originaly sold as a penatraiting oil for nuts and bolts and noisey door hinges.
    Its not good if left in guns alone as it can work it way past primers and bullets and make
    for some dead rounds when you need them.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've had to keep MSDS sheets on WD-40 in the schools and in the prison system. It's mostly Stoddard Solvent (mineral spirits) with a fragrance and a tiny amount of lubricant. It cleans pretty well so I use it to loosen gunk then blow it off with air. It does raise Holy Ned with some plastics if left to sit. Applying a lubricant with solvent in it doesn't make sense. It's a good cleaner but lousy lubricant.

I had a kid set a toilet on fire with it so I know it burns pretty well.

Flash

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    My goodness.... I figured it wouldn't hurt much, but was no replacement for products designed to clean and lube guns. Especially considering how cheap good gun products are nowadays.

I saw a few guys at IDPA matches lubing their guns with 10w-30 motor oil. I guess there're some strange things that one could put on/in a gun. :-)

Thanks guys.

chris

I've had to keep MSDS sheets on WD-40 in the schools and in the prison system. It's mostly Stoddard Solvent (mineral spirits) with a fragrance and a tiny amount of lubricant. It cleans pretty well so I use it to loosen gunk then blow it off with air. It does raise Holy Ned with some plastics if left to sit. Applying a lubricant with solvent in it doesn't make sense. It's a good cleaner but lousy lubricant.

Flash

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston

Flash

Squirt some in an empty plastic milk jug and then wave a lighter in front of the mouth. Or better yet, tell someone it's a cool thing to do and then stand quite a bit back and watch them do it.

indpendnt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    DFW
    WD40 has a place in gun maintenance, but not for lub or rust prevention. I'll sometimes use it to "Blast" external parts, but that is always followed up with proper products. CLP, grease, what ever. It's also good for spying on/in wet guns, like if you're out in the rain as WD40 is excellent in displacing water. Again, followed up with other products. In a real pinch, with nothing else available, it will provide some lubrication for a short time.
    I've used this method as well. I think of it as kind of a pre-clean that works especially well for very dirty or neglected guns. I would always follow with a thorough cleaning with proper solvents and oils, I've never even considered leaving it in or just using WD40 alone.
    I also agree with the water displacement use - after all it was originally developed for government use as "Water Displacement - 40th Attempt".

Squirt some in an empty plastic milk jug and then wave a lighter in front of the mouth. Or better yet, tell someone it's a cool thing to do and then stand quite a bit back and watch them do it.
    Works great firing tennis balls out of PVC tubes. It'll bust the side window out of a car! or... uh... so I've heard...

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I don't use it because there are dozens of better products out there for lubricating guns.

WD 40 was originaly sold as a penatraiting oil for nuts and bolts and noisey door hinges.
    Its not good if left in guns alone as it can work it way past primers and bullets and make
    for some dead rounds when you need them.

Uh...The Box O Truth begs to differ.
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot39.htm

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    It always surprises me the things people want to 'substitute'. It doesn't cost that much to get a small container of decent gun oil, or one of the many solvent solutions for cleaning. But then theres always somebody that wants to use kerosene or brake fluid or whatever, just because they have a jug of it laying around. Years ago, when we were trying to clean up old PCB contamination, one of the old timers said he didn't understand the fuss. Why he kept a quart of the stuff around and used it to lube his rifle! Amazing.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    The best use for WD-40 with firearms is like navyguy said, to displace water on firearms. If you've just parkerized a slide and of course then run it over with water, WD-40 to the rescue. As well, when cleaning corrosive ammo deposits out of a surplus rifle or pistol with water, spray some down the barrel and then mop it and clean it.

Whatever happened to the $10 boxes of 144 M1 garand grease pots?
    That stuff is amazing!

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I use it to clean with when out of breakfree or other solvents.
    Great water barrier for those wet days.
    I have used it to cut wheel bearing grease down for slides and bolts when out of the proper lube.
    Also works well as a carrier for powdered graphite when working a stiff trigger over.

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Biggest problem with using it as a lubricant is that it dries out and leaves a nasty sticky goo in the nether reaches of your mechanism.
    then you need a proper solvent to remove it.

But it's great for removing bumper stickers.

Top Bottom