Hurley's Gold

Any Marlin Model 60 experts on here? Need help.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    I have a marlin 795 which I understand to be a redesign of the 60 to be a mag instead of tube fed. I have had a 10/22 before and sold it and kept the 795. All of them are decent guns but I do like my Marlin enough that the others just don't really call to me. Wait I may be exaggerating, I have been eying the 70pss a little bit.
    ARJ Defense ad

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I have a marlin 795 which I understand to be a redesign of the 60 to be a mag instead of tube fed. I have had a 10/22 before and sold it and kept the 795. All of them are decent guns but I do like my Marlin enough that the others just don't really call to me. Wait I may be exaggerating, I have been eying the 70pss a little bit.
    No, the 795 is an updated Model 70, with the last shot bolt-hold-open. And the 70PSS is a totally bad-ass little rifle. I recently duracoated my 70PSS in olive drab and I'm pleased with the results.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    No, the 795 is an updated Model 70, with the last shot bolt-hold-open. And the 70PSS is a totally bad-ass little rifle. I recently duracoated my 70PSS in olive drab and I'm pleased with the results.

Which came from the 60. The 795 has the same receiver and action as the 60. The 60 is a bit heavier and has a longer barrel.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Order a new spring! Look for gouging in the receiver/bolt area. Broken buffer is usually from firing hot ammo,stingers are specifically not allowed. To install the spring, get a drinking straw the right size to fit into the bolt hole. Cut to length, split it lengthwise. Scotch tape the straw back together with it IN the bolt hole. Place spring and pin in the straw and compress the whole rig into the receiver. Hold the bolt down, it tends to pop back up. Remove tape and straw anyway you can. Done. Reassemble. Make sure the feedramp block is clean and not damaged. They are tack drivers at 50 yds. Oh, when reloading, hold on to the plunger or you get to chase it AFTER the range goes cold. They go about 5 feet.

Last edited:

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Which came from the 60. The 795 has the same receiver and action as the 60. The 60 is a bit heavier and has a longer barrel.
    yes, the BHO came from the 60, but the 795 is an update of the 70. To borrow one feature from the 60 is not to say the 795 springs forth from the 60. If one is at all familiar with the old Model 70, one would never claim that the 795 is an update of anything other than the 70. All that was required was to redesign the mags to work with the new BHO. The new mags work in my old 70; however, the old mags don't work in a 795 or 70PSS.

Last edited:

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    yes, the BHO came from the 60, but the 795 is an update of the 70. To borrow one feature from the 60 is not to say the 795 springs forth from the 60. If one is at all familiar with the old Model 70, one would never claim that the 795 is an update of anything other than the 70. All that was required was to redesign the mags to work with the new BHO. The new mags work in my old 70; however, the old mags don't work in a 795 or 70PSS.

The receiver and action is one feature? You know you can literally interchange the parts? Whatever I'm done. I disagree with your analysis but this is a stupid tangent to even go on.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    What a diabolical piece of ill designed crap.
    Simply changing the buffer block requires complete take down of the hammer/feed block group.
    Why the hell didn't Marlin build in a removable buffer pin?!?!?! Idiots.
    Spring change direction didnt help. Made things worse actually.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Guess they weren't worried about it.

Mine lasted 40+ years before needing any work done, because the firing pin had worn an indention in the hammer.

Wasn't hard to replace. Just be more manly :p

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    The receiver and action is one feature? You know you can literally interchange the parts? Whatever I'm done. I disagree with your analysis but this is a stupid tangent to even go on.
    :headbang:

Literally, the ONLY difference between the old 70 and the 795 is the bolt hold open. So, the 795 is an upgraded 70. How you bring the 60--a tube-fed mag weapon--into the mix is beyond me. If you had ever actually held/shot/admired a 70, you'd be saying that the action and receiver of the 70 is the same as the 795 except for the bolt-hold open device borrowed from the 60. You can be done with the conversation all you want, but that doesn't cut off the facts.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Spring change direction didnt help. Made things worse actually
    Did you put in a new spring? Turning the old one around won't do it. I know. There is also a trick to re-assembling the receiver to stock, IIRC it has to go all the way back. Did you look for burrs in the receiver? worked on one that wouldn't go into battery due to a mild burr. The spring pushes the bolt to the top of the receiver, a burr there will stop it. Also check the spring hole in the bolt - burr there will keep the spring from compressing. Once you get it fixed, you won't have to do anything but clean it. Pain to work on but when done they work great.

Last edited:

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I've checked everything.
    There are no burrs.
    Yes I tried new spring. New guide rod too.
    I put the old ones back in.
    The hammer seems extremely hard to cock. Once it is cocked the slide moves fairly smoothly if I pull out on the cocking handle before I try to retract the slide.
    Gun range tomorrow morning to test fire.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    :headbang:

Literally, the ONLY difference between the old 70 and the 795 is the bolt hold open. So, the 795 is an upgraded 70. How you bring the 60--a tube-fed mag weapon--into the mix is beyond me. If you had ever actually held/shot/admired a 70, you'd be saying that the action and receiver of the 70 is the same as the 795 except for the bolt-hold open device borrowed from the 60. You can be done with the conversation all you want, but that doesn't cut off the facts.

I may not have been clear. The parts interchange between the 60 and 795. The 795 is a 60 with a mag feed added.

FiremanBob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2015
    If the hammer is hard to cock, you may have a problem with the hammer spring and its strut being installed wrongly.

The more I work on Marlins, the more I like 10/22s.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Range tested the gun today.
    Fired 300+ rounds.
    Several jams. Usually a spent case not clearing the receiver.
    calling it good.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    That is the bolt hold open - pull it out for shooting. There is a notch in the receiver to keep the bolt open. The straw trick keeps me from kinking the sprig when installing. I found the older ones have a tighter throat and don't like the new bulk ammo.

Top Bottom