APOD Firearms

Any Marlin Model 60 experts on here? Need help.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I've got a Marlin 60 that is giving me fits.

The gun is recent. Built around 2003 or so. Bought this gun recently.

The problem is it is binding up and very difficult to pull back the slide. It should smoothly glide back with minimal effort. I really have to grunt the thing rearward now. This can't be right.
    I've cleaned and lubed the bolt twenty ways from Sunday.
    The recoil buffer has been removed due to it falling into pieces. I have not fired the gun. A new buffer is on order.
    It binds up on initial drawn back and again about 1/3 rearward.
    If I hold in on the bolt release it cycles okay on multiple retracts but then I set it down and the binding occurs again.
    Can the recoil spring or guide rod be the problem? The rod isn't bend.
    The bolt slides fine without the spring in place.
    Does the missing recoil buffer act as a spacer,separating the lower receiver from the upper? The rear takedown pin is the split plastic type,not the screws with stud so I assumed the clearance between the upper and lower remain the same with or without the buffer?
    There is some battering in the lower bottom corner of the ejection port from the gun being fired with a broken buffer. It seems minimal tho.

Any ideas?
    Target Sports

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    I've never seen the inside of a Marlin but I can't imagine it's that different from a Ruger 10/22, so here are a few ideas that may ether help or give you an idea of where to look next.

Are there any screws coming through from the top, like a scope mount rail, protruding into the receiver and binding the bolt? Likewise, are there any action screws coming up from the bottom that could bind up the bolt?

Is there anything in the trigger group that is installed incorrectly that could impede the bolt's movement?

Sorry I can't help any further. Good luck!

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Are there any screws coming through from the top, like a scope mount rail, protruding into the receiver and binding the bolt? Likewise, are there any action screws coming up from the bottom that could bind up the bolt? Nothing top mounted. Has the old style dovetail along top of receiver. Action screws are not binding as the action does the same thing in or out of stock.

Is there anything in the trigger group that is installed incorrectly that could impede the bolt's movement?
    I guess so. I've changed nothing. I did the "Nickel" trick on the ejector wire but that isn't doing it.
    My guess at this point is two things.
    1.) The bolt handle - the tip of the bolt handle on the inside against the receiver wall is grabbing the wall. If I hold out on the bolt handle while retracting the binding is minimized
    2.) The bolt really binds once it contacts the hammer. The hammer face and bolt race are smooth. I have put heavy grease here. It's weird because this doesn't occur on every retract.

Sorry I can't help any further. Good luck!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    If the action binds, then you most likely have a recoil spring problem, unless the rifle was dropped and the receiver was bent.

I sold an early Model 60 to a fellow who wanted to teach his kids to shoot .22 LR. He called me a while back and asked me how often he should clean it, because after thousands of rounds it just kept on thumping and his kids hit the target time after time.

I replaced that rifle with a newer Model 60. It functioned perfectly, but I could not hit the target. Turns out the factory did not tighten the bolt that connects the receiver to the stock.

Once that was fixed, the rifle was/is a tack driver.

If I were to hazard a guess, your rifle is just bent out of shape by misuse, or was disassembled and reassembled in the wrong way.

Be well.

Vec

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 8, 2015
    suburbs
    Ive had my Model 60 since 1974, it still shoots well, and ive had it apart probably a million times (i was a curious kid and took everything apart to see what made it tick)

i'd be more than happy to look yours over if your close enough

FiremanBob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2015
    1. Recoil spring may be kinked. This is the most likely culprit.
    2. Ejector may be bent or have damage that raised burrs on its surface.
    3. The hammer may be binding on something, like an improperly installed hammer spring.

Those are my first thoughts. If it isn't one of these, post a reply with your findings after testing these and I'll pull mine apart for further diagnosis.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Right now waiting on the new buffer. Once it is all back together it will get test fired.
    I do not believe the receiver is bent.
    The recoil spring is sorta kinked. I'll order a new one.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Thanks for the replies.
    Right now waiting on the new buffer. Once it is all back together it will get test fired.
    I do not believe the receiver is bent.
    The recoil spring is sorta kinked. I'll order a new one.
    I would definitely go with a new spring if it has a kink in it.

hoghunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2014
    And order at least one more as a spare. Spring is easily kinked.

Completely agree as the spring is about twice as long as the bolt. I place the receiver upside down in a vice, hold the bolt with one hand while guiding it onto the spring guide rod with the other. If you hold the receiver in one hand and try to align the rod, spring and bolt with the other, chances are good you will kink the spring.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    A couplea times I've thought about buying a Model 60. I keep saying no because I have a 10/22.

When I finish turning my 10/22 into a "race gun", I may break down and get a Model 60.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Oh, I have no issue with the Model 60. I just don't need another .22lr autoloader right now.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I actually prefer the old Marlins to a 10/22 (I know--heresy. Right?). I've got a Marlin 60 set up as a target rifle with a Boyd's stock, a bipod and nice scope. Also, I've got an old Marlin/Glenfield Model 70 set up with TechSight peep and that sucker can drive nails. Then there's my Marlin stainless Papoose with TechSight peep and threaded barrel. I love the accuracy of the factory Marlin barrels.

To the OP's problem--my guess is you'll be fine once you get that spring replaced. Good Luck!

Last edited:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I keep fixing these or finding them cheep or bartering some labour for these and then giving them away to friends and family. Don't have one myself now but I think I've acquired 5 or so over the years. Great rifles and out of the box will out-shoot a stock Ruger 10\22.

Top Bottom