• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    leVieux,

Like you, I've been giving away a lot of my stuff to my GK's, to my Daughter, (gold jewelry/3 kayaks/pricey paddles/all my fishing gear) and to the husbands of the GK's, both very good guys, some friends and quite a bit of things to nice folks I don't really know, who've come to the house to service my well or AC and I even delivered a high quality bicycle to the wife of the mechanic who services my truck.

I list folks other than family as candidates you might consider when giving away good stuff that your wife doesn't want to keep either.

Ungrateful/leftist GK's presents a sad situation, but there are lots of folks out there who will appreciate being given good stuff.

The mechanic's wife was ecstatic to get the bike (along with some accessories like helmet/gloves etc.)

Made me feel good to give away good stuff that's highly valued by others too...

Hey, you can't take it with you and recognizing us old guys are skating on thin ice as it regards longevity - give away the good stuff that'll be appreciated by other than family, though of course they come first...if they want/appreciate it...

OK, ramble...OFF!
    Target Sports

Last edited:

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    I have all kinds of knives, Benchmade's, Microtech's, Spiderco's, Kereshaws, Case's Bucks, German made knives Custom knives and more. But the one that I carry every day is an inexpensive CRKT Inara that my wife found in shopping basket that was in the parking lot at HEB. It is light handy and holds an edge. It is odd that I would have never bought one of these knives but now that I have it I carry it everyday. Looking it up it is only about a $30 knife.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Last edited:

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    NO.

Per the OP's definition of a "budget" knife being $20 or less, the only one I've bought in that range was a liner lock Schrade - absolute worst knife I've ever owned.

I believe the knife community considers a budget knife to be $50 or less. Some consider the top of the budget range to be $75 or maybe even higher... Having that definition, I believe the best budget knife to be had is the QSP Penguin.

I have a range of knife brands and prices paid. I've become greatly infatuated with compression lock Spyderco knives and they are the only ones that go in my pocket any more.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    NO.

Per the OP's definition of a "budget" knife being $20 or less, the only one I've bought in that range was a liner lock Schrade - absolute worst knife I've ever owned.

I believe the knife community considers a budget knife to be $50 or less. Some consider the top of the budget range to be $75 or maybe even higher... Having that definition, I believe the best budget knife to be had is the QSP Penguin.

I have a range of knife brands and prices paid. I've become greatly infatuated with compression lock Spyderco knives and they are the only ones that go in my pocket any more.

Well Tip inflation has fucked that proposition. When I bought these knives 7 years ago they were 17 dollars. Now they are 27

Screenshot from 2023-10-15 14-22-22.png

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Kershaw Cryo II has been my go-to knife for years. I've *knock on wood* managed not to lose the current copy in the almost four years I've had it. That's the longest I've ever had a knife without permanently misplacing it!

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    The only FOLDING knife in that price range is an OPINEL # 08 Carbone/Carbon Steel French knife that my husband bought for me but I do not use it. He bought it for me several years ago at SW here in town. It was LESS that $20. at the time and I have NO clue what they cost now.

It WAS or still IS one CLASSIC knife. I had asked him about it YEARS ago and when he saw one in SW - he decided to get it for me.

I only use FIXED BLADE knives due to my hand issues.

The Buck - Idaho, Swiss Army aka SAK, older Schrade knives, other older/famous = closed NY/CT factory knife companies, Boker - Germany, older/newer Case - PA, etc. FOLDING knives all cost MORE money than $20.00 years ago. Now, they cost even more money.

I do not remember some OLD, old prices on some knives due to me not PAYING for some of them way back when.

With that said, I DO remember what some knives cost in past years and now due to me paying for them or my Montana husband.

I DO remember a lot of prices on VERY specific things including some knives and guns even when my late husband and I bought them including TOOLS and other items from a to z.

Old Lady Cate

PS: I still have the OPINEL package that the OPINEL knife came in too. I did keep it. So when you guys spoke about the OPINEL knife brand name - I went to my own KNIFE drawer in my one Stickley chest and dug it out. My husband's knives are in his OWN knife drawer in a large tool chest. Plus both of us have knives throughout our house in various rooms.

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    leVieux,

Like you, I've been giving away a lot of my stuff to my GK's, to my Daughter, (gold jewelry/3 kayaks/pricey paddles/all my fishing gear) and to the husbands of the GK's, both very good guys, some friends and quite a bit of things to nice folks I don't really know, who've come to the house to service my well or AC and I even delivered a high quality bicycle to the wife of the mechanic who services my truck.

I list folks other than family as candidates you might consider when giving away good stuff that your wife doesn't want to keep either.

Ungrateful/leftist GK's presents a sad situation, but there are lots of folks out there who will appreciate being given good stuff.

The mechanic's wife was ecstatic to get the bike (along with some accessories like helmet/gloves etc.)

Hey, you can't take it with you and recognizing us old guys are skating on thin ice as it regards longevity - give away the good stuff that'll be appreciated by other than family, though of course they come first...if they want/appreciate it...

OK, ramble...OFF!

Been there - done that only I do not have children.

My late husband and I never had children and we were only married to each other.

I have done this for many years and even some before my late husband died too. He and I did this.

My Montana husband and I have done this and we are still doing this.

Good for you and for the other man on here too!

Take care!

Old Lady Cate

ADDED more.

Last edited:

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    The only FOLDING knife in that price range is an OPINEL # 08 Carbone/Carbon Steel French knife that my husband bought for me but I do not use it. He bought it for me several years ago at SW here in town. It was LESS that $20. at the time and I have NO clue what they cost now.

It WAS or still IS one CLASSIC knife. I had asked him about it YEARS ago and when he saw one in SW - he decided to get it for me.

I only use FIXED BLADE knives due to my hand issues.

The Buck - Idaho, Swiss Army aka SAK, older Schrade knives, other older/famous = closed NY/CT factory knife companies, Boker - Germany, older/newer Case - PA, etc. FOLDING knives all cost MORE money than $20.00 years ago. Now, they cost even more money.

I do not remember some OLD, old prices on some knives due to me not PAYING for some of them way back when.

With that said, I DO remember what some knives cost in past years and now due to me paying for them or my Montana husband.

I DO remember a lot of prices on VERY specific things including some knives and guns even when my late husband and I bought them including TOOLS and other items from a to z.

Old Lady Cate

PS: I still have the OPINEL package that the OPINEL knife came in too. I did keep it. So when you guys spoke about the OPINEL knife brand name - I went to my own KNIFE drawer in my one Stickley chest and dug it out. My husband's knives are in his OWN knife drawer in a large tool chest. Plus both of us have knives throughout our house in various rooms.

PS: I do know and did know some men (Alive and some now dead.) that USED or STILL USE their Opinel #08 knives (And some other specific brand name KNIVES.) almost every single day when they ate/eat their lunch at work or had a picnic or around their kitchen and dinner time.

They did NOT use their Opinel #08 knife for heavy duty stuff!

They mainly used them for FOOD or for other light work purposes.

Old Lady Cate

Last edited:

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring

and for the artistic flair...

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've had this cheap-ass knife for 3 years now. Got it from Walmart for less than $5 then. Price is a little higher now.
    I sharpen it about once ever 3 months or so and it works great. I don't hunt bears or dismember legions of thugs with it, but for opening boxes and basic shit, it works just fine for me.

View attachment 410608
    I picked one up similar to that from Walmart once thinking I would just make fun of it later, but it's actually held up well. Lot of worse ways to spend $5.

As for the $20 range I've had several Kershaws that I like.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    leVieux,

OK, ramble...OFF!
    I’d prefer to give many items to those who will actually appreciate them than let vulture relatives fight over them.

Top Bottom