Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Today was the anniversary of the 1900 Galveston hurricane, and September 10 is, historically, the highest point of Atlantic hurricane activity.

What will become Tropical Storm Francine is supposed to turn north and then east, curling up the Texas coast, theoretically (at this point) going to land near the Texas/Louisiana border. That they think it's going to make landfall on 9/11 gives me no comfort.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon! FKH
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    I saw center point trimming some trees a couple weeks ago, so they will at least look nice when they fall on the power lines that they are still right next to.
    The area that took our power out for six days has a lot of tall pine trees, much taller than the power lines they're next to. They need to go away, but CenterPoint hasn't done anything yet.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The area that took our power out for six days has a lot of tall pine trees, much taller than the power lines they're next to. They need to go away, but CenterPoint hasn't done anything yet.
    Centerpoint's ROW is probably not wide enough to be able to trim those trees.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Franchise row usually gives the power utility 3' of row to set poles or bury lines up against private property. Based on street/road easement.
    There's really not much a power company can do about trees growing on private property when the 8' crossarms hang 2' over into someone's trees and the owner won't allow further trimming.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    The NOAA 04:00 update for today still classifies this as "Potential Tropical Cyclone Six"; not a named storm as of yet. The good news for Texas is that, even though there's no well-defined center of circulation, the best-guess computer models have pushed landfall a little farther east, more toward Louisiana.

Not that I wish anything bad on our neighbors. I have friends in Lake Charles and they seem to be like a magnet if any big disturbance gets anywhere near them. But I'm also not wanting something to plow into our community of 8 million around Houston/Galveston this season. Let's just get through another six weeks peacefully, please.

The other good news is the seasonally unusual cold front we had. That's dropped surface water temps a bit near the coast which could impede this puppy strengthening. At least maybe a little impedance.

Anyway, here's the 04:00 snapshot. Still a bit unnerving that it continues to move NNW very slowly, but all the models show it turning north and then northeast.

NOAA_2024-09-09_0400.png

Top Bottom