• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Personally, I'm so chuffed that PC-BSD has finally set up full disk encryption in their installer that I'm considering testing it. If they've ever gotten around to packaging a proper usenet client, I may well change my OS.

I haven't heard of that. As a noob should I stick with Mint or Ubuntu?
    Target Sports

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    As a noob should I stick with Mint or Ubuntu?
    As a noob, forget any form of BSD. It's another world.

Mint is just Ubuntu that's been enhanced a bit to work better with media files. I prefer it over Ubuntu assuming you don't run into a hardware compatibility problem. (There should actually be less hardware problems with Mint but I'm one of those lucky people with a few weird components...so I'm on plain Ubuntu atm.)

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    As a noob, forget any form of BSD. It's another world.

Mint is just Ubuntu that's been enhanced a bit to work better with media files. I prefer it over Ubuntu assuming you don't run into a hardware compatibility problem. (There should actually be less hardware problems with Mint but I'm one of those lucky people with a few weird components...so I'm on plain Ubuntu atm.)

I just downloaded Mint and realized I didn't have an empty disc to put it on so I'm off to get one. Would it be okay to install it on my hard drive? How large of a partition do I need. I don't know anything about them.

cncfan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Houston
    If you are going to play with different OS's and if you do not already have a second HDD in your pc you might want to install one and do a disk image of your main drive that your current os is install on.

I use a free program called Reflect . http://www.macrium.com/

That way when/if you want to install old system it only take 20-30 min depending on how big your drive is. I do a disk image once a month. Has saved me a few times.

Last edited:

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    If you are going to play with different OS's and if do not already have a second HDD in your pc you might want to install one and do a disk image of your main drive that your current os is install on.

I use a free program called Reflect . http://www.macrium.com/

That way when/if you want to install old system it only take 20-30 min depending on how big your drive is. I do a disk image once a month. Has saved me a few times.

Love Macrium''s Reflect free version. It's so good, hard to believe it's free.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    BEN, thank you for post #20. It'll take me awhile to look at those links. I wanted windows because I know whatever software I'll ever need will run on it. Perhaps some of the alternative OS' are more versatile in that regard these days. BTW, I tried the MS link you mentioned and that's the one that failed. I can't remember why, now. I'll try it again and report back with MS' error message.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I just downloaded Mint and realized I didn't have an empty disc to put it on so I'm off to get one. Would it be okay to install it on my hard drive? How large of a partition do I need.
    I assume by "empty disc" you mean a DVD-R onto which to burn the ISO. If that's not right, then let me know.

Install Mint only if you want to destroy everything on your hard drive.

You can burn the Mint DVD, boot from it, and work with Mint for a while off the DVD. This is called a "LiveCD" (traditionally, though sometimes now you'll see it called a "LiveDVD"). It will be slow but it'll show you what the OS is like. It won't touch your current hard drive. Do that for a while, especially since it's a good way to make sure all your hardware works with Mint.

If you really decide to switch, then you

• back up everything,
    • boot the same DVD,
    • click on the option to install, either in the beginning or using the icon on the desktop after it's fully booted, and
    • accept all the defaults.
    Don't worry about the partition size. Just let it have your whole disk and it'll set up the partitions automagically.

Now, if you want to dual-boot between Windows and any form of Linux, any good installer will hold your hand through the process. 100 gigs is plenty of space if you have to specify a number and you have that much available. However, I've successfully installed Linux on 50 mb (That is not a typo.) hard drives so if you can't spare much space, don't sweat it. You won't need more space than is occupied by a season of Game of Thrones to give Mint a fair test. (Though, to be fair, if you want to install in just 50 mb, you'll have to choose a different, much simpler distribution.)

That last link I sent to Mike ( http://lifehacker.com/5778882/getting-started-with-linux-the-complete-guide ) is a decent guide even though it's several years old.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I wanted windows because I know whatever software I'll ever need will run on it.
    The MS link will fail if you don't have the right key. It'll also fail if MS is truly being dickish about ending support by actively withdrawing resources that Win7 users need. I wouldn't put it past them.

As for wanting Windows because you know you'll want software that runs on it - What software? If you're doing word processing and spreadsheets, LibreOffice does 99% of what MS does with Word and Excel and allows you to save in formats that your Windows-using friends can open and read.

OTOH, if you're managing a construction site and you live and die by MS Project, then Linux is probably not for you. Also, if you're a hardcore gamer, forget Linux. Those are just a couple of examples but they're really shots in the dark.

So, what software did you have in mind?

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I started another thread so I wouldn't derail this one but it is yours. lol

According to the Mint installation guide -

If you choose to install it alongside other operating systems, the installer will use
    the free space available on other partitions to create a new one for Linux Mint.
    You will be asked how much space you want to allocate to it. The installer will
    then shrink a partition and take care of everything for you. Post-installation your
    computer will have a boot screen from which you'll be able to boot all your
    operating systems.

I will run it from the DVD some today but I was thinking of doing this to avoid getting rid of windows completely, for now at least. If it's not working for me or I screw it up I can just wipe it out and start over right?

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    The MS link will fail if you don't have the right key. It'll also fail if MS is truly being dickish about ending support by actively withdrawing resources that Win7 users need. I wouldn't put it past them.

(1) I have the right/valid key. MS no longer allows access to download the OS... an ISO file, I think.

As for wanting Windows because you know you'll want software that runs on it - What software? If you're doing word processing and spreadsheets, LibreOffice does 99% of what MS does with Word and Excel and allows you to save in formats that your Windows-using friends can open and read.

(2) I want to run my browser of choice (currently that's Chrome) and I want all the common plug-ins to work, Adobe CS (not the latest version), an RC plane flight simulator called RealFlight... I guess those are the primary ones. Yes, LibreOffice is fine.

OTOH, if you're managing a construction site and you live and die by MS Project, then Linux is probably not for you. Also, if you're a hardcore gamer, forget Linux. Those are just a couple of examples but they're really shots in the dark.

(3) I don't use MS Project and I don't like gaming.

So, what software did you have in mind?

***See answer (2) above.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I'm running Mint from the DVD now. I don't seem to be having any issues at all.

I usually only use Firefox and Steam to play one game in particular. According to Steam, the game I like is compatible.

Can (or should) I install Steam while running off of the DVD to check it?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have the right/valid key. MS no longer allows access to download the OS... an ISO file, I think.
    Wow. They're really being dicks, aren't they?

(2) I want to run my browser of choice (currently that's Chrome) and I want all the common plug-ins to work, Adobe CS (not the latest version), an RC plane flight simulator called RealFlight... I guess those are the primary ones. Yes, LibreOffice is fine.
    Chrome and most plug-ins are good to go on Linux. Adobe CS and most flight sims of any sort are not.

Unless you know more about how to make those things run on Linux than I do (Wine has traditionally had problems with Adobe CS but I haven't checked into that situation in quite a while), you need Windows, not Linux.

The easiest (not quickest and, based on your prior dealing, probably not a reliable) way to fix the problem would be to let the guy use his student discount, buy you a copy of Windows, wipe the machine, and start over.

I miss the old days when I could pick up MS Office, Project, and Visio for $20 apiece because of the discounts available to my employer. If this guy can get you a deal like that, you'll have a lot less frustration than trying to restore a pre-existing install into which you're not able to boot.

You got screwed. My heart goes out to you and I hope the guy makes it right for you.

A few final and miscellaneous points -

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Well, the laptop is really just a backup to my desktop so I can access my eBay, PayPal and email accounts just in case my PC crashes. So I could run Linux on it but I'd be neutered regarding what I can do until my desktop is repaired or replaced. I contacted the guy who sold me the laptop and asked if he would supply his Win 7 PW so I can create a system recover disc hoping that I can wipe the drive of his data and make a new installation from the system recovery disk.

However, I just checked... no, I can't do a new installation from a recovery disc.

Maybe I should embarrass the seller on the forum on which he sold me the computer. That could backfire though because it's been about three months.

EDIT #1: LUCK LUCK LUCK!!! I contacted the seller again explaining I don't have the funds to buy an OS and asked for his PW so I can use the thing. He complied and I'm in. First thing is to make a system recovery disc. I've asked him if he needs copies of any of his files before I delete them. Once that's answered I'll eliminate his files and uninstall all his SW and clean up the HD as much as I can. Then I'll backup the HD. Yay!!

EDIT #2: There's a message on the desktop, "This copy of Windows is not genuine". What now? Is this just because it was never registered with MS?

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    EDIT #2: There's a message on the desktop, "This copy of Windows is not genuine". What now? Is this just because it was never registered with MS?
    Does the message prevent you from using the machine?

If it's a home version of Win7, have a look at: http://www.whatvwant.com/this-copy-of-windows-is-not-genuine-easy-solution/

If it's a higher level version (Professional or above), try: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2008385

There are hundreds of pages (at least) covering that error message on the internet. Some research should help.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    As to Linux, if you like keeping your software up to date with upgrades and fixes be sure to compare the methods used by each distro. They can be different. And for me, requires a cheat sheet.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I haven't kept up with Windows for several years. What I'm seeing is downright scary. Buried in the 45-pages of the Privacy Statement and the Services Agreement is this gem:
    That's a very low bar to set. Essentially, it says "We'll tell anyone we want anything about you we know."
    VERY scary, hopefully they receive enough backlash on this to change course. I'm not holding my breath.

The computer has a working copy of Ubuntu that boots to the previous owner's desktop without me having to enter his password but when it logs itself out after a few minutes then I can't log in again. The previous owner doesn't remember the PW and prefers I do a fresh install anyway to clear his data.
    You can boot from a Linux LiveCD and reset any password you like with minimal headache (provided the disk isn't encrypted, which if it is, since you can boot you could still do it - just with an extra few steps). Pretty much all you do is boot the LiveCD, chroot, and passwd. I'd describe in more detail, but ....

LUCK LUCK LUCK!!! I contacted the seller again explaining I don't have the funds to buy an OS and asked for his PW so I can use the thing. He complied and I'm in.
    Great news, made that easy!

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Does the message prevent you from using the machine?

No, it boots and operates fine. In fact, I spent the entire afternoon and half the night installing updates that the previous owner never did.

If it's a home version of Win7, have a look at: http://www.whatvwant.com/this-copy-of-windows-is-not-genuine-easy-solution/

It's Win 7 Pro which is a good thing because, from what I understand, MS will support this version until 2020.

If it's a higher level version (Professional or above), try: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2008385

Excellent... I'll have a look.

RE the "not genuine" message: My guess is it's there because the OS was never activated by the previous owner and now MS is giving me the middle finger.

There are hundreds of pages (at least) covering that error message on the internet. Some research should help.

I was busy doing updates then had a medical appointment this AM. I'll do some research now.

Top Bottom