• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    So i was thinking, again, lighter bullets go faster than heavier bullets, given the same amount of powder.... So i was thinking what is the lightest stuff to make bullets out of? If ya did that, you'd be on your way to havin the fastest bullet.

But if the bullet is to light, you are going to have problems with wind blowing your round way off course, and it seems to me like it would have less inertia and slow down quicker.

My first thought was Polymer Bullets. A nice light polymer bullet. it wouldnt hae much in the way of expansion, and would likely squirt right through a meat target if it was made pointy-like. a semi-wadcutter perhaps? seems to me that this would slow down way to fast becasue of increased friction from air. but it would stop in your target most likely...

Now i think i might be onto something with this next one - Aluminum Bullets... probably not as light as you could make a polymer bullet, but you could get some expansion in a hollow point design or insane speed in a whatever-a-pointy-bullet-is-called design (ballistic?)

Now how about copper jacketed polymer ballistic bullets with an aluminum core?

do i need sleep or are these some freaking awesome ideas?
    Texas SOT

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Take a golf ball an' a ping-pong ball (both about the same size, but different weights) an' toss 'em. Then tell us what ya think. The lower weight is gonna result in a much lower mass - equating much lower impact results.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Stick to your day job wolfie. A lighter weight bullet would also produce less terminal power making it utterly useless. That is, if it could make it down the barrel without blowing itself to pieces from the pressure behind it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    SLAP ammo for the 50 BMG and 7.62 NATO use that concept, but since the round is still somewhat heavy, they only increase velocity by 1000-1500 fps. Going any lighter reduces the effective range too much, and gains nothing.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I think I remeber hearing about using aluminum bullets with the intention of shooting a single person in a crowd, but no one was under the impression that they would be more effective, just less penetration.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    thanks for the few helpful remarks.

so what i'm gathering is, this theory is already being applied in some ammo - and in my orginal thought i was taking it way to far.

still, it would be fun to experament with some of this stuff.

say, a aluminum round, with a lead filled core, with small steel bars, (like hardened roll pins you find holding trigger groups together) embedded ina circular manner in the aluminum to add stability along with a polymer ballistic tip.

that would give you more weight to ensure accuracy, stability of the round, and still reduce weight increasing speed, not to mention, when that lead expands inside the thick aluminum jacket, and the round rips apart, those steel bars ar gonna go bananas in there as well, creating a complex wound channel.

once again, just throwing ideas around no need for obama references.
    even if i am kinda going down the path of "if it aint broke fix it till it is" hehe.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Back away from the booze, dood....

Hangover.jpg

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    We have advanced from round, soft lead balls to aerodynamic bullets of jacketed varieties engineered by trial and error....I'll stick with what we have as long as I can afford them. I do have minie ball moulds for .58 caliber when in the seldom times I shoot black powder.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    ...say, a aluminum round, with a lead filled core, with small steel bars, (like hardened roll pins you find holding trigger groups together) embedded ina circular manner in the aluminum to add stability along with a polymer ballistic tip.

The image im getting from this could and prob is way off, but wouldnt the steel bars you speak of on the outside of the bullet cause spinning/twisting probelms with the rifling of the barrels?

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    They made a sabot round a few years ago, but I don't know if the still do. The one I tried was a .308 cartridge with a .22 slug. If I remember right it was 4100 fps. I shot one at 200 yards, and it hit the target in a hurry. It did not have enough recoil to chamber the next round in my HK-91.

Example in a 30.06

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That's a 7.62x51mm SLAP. The bullet is tungsten IIRC. They can cut through armor like noboby's business. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saboted_light_armor_penetrator

On to the subject:

Wolfwood, why do you want a lighter, faster bullet? For what it's worth, heavier at the expense of slower is generally better overall. Less wind drift for long range shots. Better terminal effects overall, too.

Look at overall weight and how it relates to sectional density, and how sectional density has generally positive effects on both external and terminal ballistics.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robertmb3
    Top Bottom