• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I am going to ask what may turn out to be a dumb question. But here we go.
    I have a Dillion 550B reloading press set up for .45 ACP. As I get older, I have started to lean more toward the 9mm 1911s than the 45 ACP 1911s. I have a touch of arthritis in my right wrist.
    Up until now I have been buying 9mm ammo by the case, but I think I want to start reloading it. No use in leaving all that shiny new brass laying on the ground.

Here is where the question comes in. Would you buy a second 550 press and dedicate it to the 9mm bullet, or would you buy separate 9mm components and do a caliber swap each time you switched calibers?
    I am a lazy sort and the idea of changing the shell plate and tool head on my existing press each time I switched bullets doesn't thrill me. First off I do not know what kind of time frame we are talking about to do the swap. I also do not know what a total separate tool head would cost. If the conversion [I mean tool head, dies, powder measure, a complete stand along setup] is around 50% of the retail cost of a new press, I would probably spring for a new press. My reloading area is limited, so I would have to add on to it if I went with another press, or even the tool head stand.

Who has experience with this situation?:usflag:
    Gun Zone Deals

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    Once you have your die heads setup swapping out between calibers doesn't take very long as long as you stick with the same size primer. Switching the primer from large to small (or vicey versy) takes a little longer.

As far as adding another press, I mounted a flat aluminum plate to the top of my bench. Drilled and tapped mounting holes for each of my presses. Just loosen a few bolts and swap out the entire press.

Hope this helps.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I would not personally buy a 2nd press. But several people I know have 3+.

One thing you will find surprising is the increased effort to size 9mm over 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    To save money, purchase a caliber change kit with a spare tool head so you dont have to mess with your 45acp settings. Just remember to swap out primer components for small primers and you're good. In terms of cost, the new tool head is around 100, and youll have to buy the new dieset anyway for the new caliber so I guess all in all itd be pretty close to your percentage mark. Just depends how much money is bur ing a hole in your pocket. I'd save the extra cash for more components.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have two Dillon RL550b presses. One is for large primers and the other for small primers. I bit hard on the replaceable tooling heads and have 23 sets. It's a good idea to get the Dillon tooling storage bases as the assemblies get pretty hard to store. When you drop one of the sets on these ceramic tile floors, there's plenty of damage.

I got the sweet spot for caliber changeover. When a cartridge comes up on the schedule regularly, I get a complete caliber conversion for it. That includes the powder measure, powder die and all that remains is the switch of the shell plate and locator pins. Doing that gets me going in a short time, all the dies are set correctly and the powder measure just needs a check on the scale. Currently, the only calibers that are set up totally ready to go are .40 cal, 9mm, 300 Blackout and .458 Socom. We are doing experiments with the .375 Socom, so that may be completely set up, too.

Reloading is fun and I try hard to keep it from becoming work! Anything that makes it easier to load, is fair game.

Flash

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I have reloaded for over forty years. I currently have four assorted presses.
    I currently reload a few 9mm rounds each month on my Rock Chucker. I use Lee Premium dies.

Reloading the 9mm is not hard, but it takes quite a bit of time when you use a single stage press. I currently have about 4K factory rounds at the house. Like I said before, as a reloader, I hate to walk off and leave good brass on the ground.

My 550 is about fifteen years old and it has produced many thousands of rounds since I bought it.
    Last fall it got to acting up so I took it apart for a good cleaning and relube. A call to Dillion informed me that I was using a lubricant that was too light in viscosity. They told me to use 30wt motor oil on the parts that rub against each other. I did and it runs like a champ. I can't average the numbers Dillion brags about, but I can generally load a couple of hundred in an hour. Refilling the primer tube takes the most time.
    At my stage in life I want to jus be able to go to the workbench. Remove the dust cover and get to it.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I see the pictures of the Dillon loading kings running a round on each station of the loader. That must be fast, but I don't do it that way!

I start a round at station 1 and run that round all the way around until it's ejected at the end. That's a lot slower but I can focus on each operation of the round and the quality is primary.

Flash

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Get a second press and don't look back

I did the same thing
    I have a 650xl set up for 223 and 38(both small primers)
    And a 550b dedicated to 9mm
    And a Lee Pro 1000 dedicate to 45acp

I love having it this way

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If space and budget allow, buy a second press.

I load in limited space also but I C clamp my presses down so I can put them away when done.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My presses are bolted to a small but heavy table. Each uses a standardized wooden base and identical bolt patterns. I pull the table out, turn it in the direction of the press that I need and get after the loading. If necessary, I can remove a press and replace it with something else.

My house is tiny and using the table that way leaves room for a heavy 8 foot tinker bench and tool box.

Flash

Attachments

• RELOAD SMALL 1  1-6-2013.jpg
      RELOAD SMALL 1 1-6-2013.jpg
      60.2 KB · Views: 151

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    It is a pain changing primer sizes on the 550b. If you have the room, a second press dedicated to small primer is the way to go. Heck, you could even get a square deal just for the 9mm if you want. Not as versital but really good.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I can't imagine having a progressive press and loading one round at a time. I am not saying it is bad, but it kind of defeats the propose of the machine. Every time I pull the lever a finished bullet falls into my catch tray.
    I reload with all stations full. Once you get into a rhythm, it is like walking down a fight of stairs. It just comes naturally. That being said I only average about 200 rounds per hour. I see no reason to get in a big hurry.
    I like all of my fingers.

I had a Square Deal B press several years ago. I always had trouble with the primers feeding correctly. Dillion providde me with many replacement parts, but nothing ever seemed to work.
    When I used it, I would hand prime all of my cases and just skip the primer drop.

I have decided to just order a new press. Dillion is now offering a 550C model. Apparently they have made some improvements in the mechanical lever system.

I took a quick inventory of my 9mm ammo last night. I have 4,500 rounds on hand. It may be awhile before I need the new press, but I should have a good quantity of spent brass when I get started.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I have two 650 XL's, one for small primers and one for large primers. In addition I have 2 Rock Chuckers and a Lee single stage for various duties as well as an old Lee 1000 that I need to refit. I hated changing out primer setups from small to large and back.

I use the Lee single stage for bullet pulling. The two RCBS get used for rifle loads or final bullet seating/crimping duty.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I made a primer wrench for my Dillon 650. I will post a pic when I get home. It makes short work of the primer ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I made a primer wrench for my Dillon 650. I will post a pic when I get home. It makes short work of the primer ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Show a pic of it. I've been looking for something to make that job easier.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    My only complaint with my Rock Chucker press is the random primers that get spit out on the garage floor.
    I saw an article on the internet some time ago about a fellow that had designed a catch bottle for the rock Chucker press. It was similar to the Hornaday primer catch bottle concept. I contacted him to see if he would make one for me. He said he was so far behind trying to fill the orders for other people that had seen the article, that it would probably be a year before he could get me one. Why can't I think of something new and novel like he did!!

Stumpnav

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I like having 2 550s set up. One for Large Primers and one for Small Primers. I find changing the primer size to be the biggest pain so the two 550 setup takes that pain away.

Top Bottom