• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Micah True: Ultramarathoner's Autopsy Could Take Days, Authorities Say - ABC News

I love to hike and camp in that area. I've done it three times, and hope to do it several more. That said... it's remote as hell (which is most of the draw), and the odds of someone finding you if you get hurt can run very low. It's up in the mountains, and this time of year you're probably seeing temps down into the 30s at night. It's easy to get lost - I've been part of a group that was lost for a night. And the last trip, I helped keep a small group from getting themselves lost because they couldn't (more like wouldn't) listen to directions. It sounds like this guy was dressed for a nice suburban jog, not a trip off the pavement. He should have had some kind of emergency shelter (couple trash bags probably would have worked, a poncho and some 550 cord would have been excellent), two different ways to make fire, and at least a jacket. Why? Because if you break a foot or sprain an ankle, you might not make it back before night falls, and without fire and/or shelter, wearing what he was, you're not going to fare well. It's rugged as hell out in this place. Fist-sized rocks love to sit in the middle of trails, so it's easy to get hurt.

On the trip where we got lost, two of the five carried "more water than we'd need". I had a full gallon at the trail head. After sharing it around to guys who stepped off with a quart or less, guess how much we had left when we finally found the river the next day? None. Dehydration leads to trouble thinking clearly, and that leads to mistakes. Things could have gone way worse if the two of us had listened and dropped four lbs of water off our already-heavy loads.

Bottom line: It's easy to get in trouble if you start taking things for granted.

Go out. Have fun. See stuff and do things. But take the hardware and software you'll need for that time when something finally goes wrong. I don't need to read another article like this one.
    Lynx Defense

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Bottom line: It's easy to get in trouble if you start taking things for granted.

This is so true, and great advice. I'd only add a couple things: Make sure at least 1/3 to 1/2 the liquid you carry is an electrolyte replacement, and personally I'd recommend using Pedialyte; check the weather before you leave; check all your gear repeatedly to ensure you have everything you need.

I did a hike in the back country in Death Valley three weeks ago, and executed a 20-hour hike with a 7,000 vertical ascent and descent, covering 29 miles. Couldn't have done that safely without having the right equipment and planning. Adventure safely, and have fun!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    This is so true, and great advice. I'd only add a couple things: Make sure at least 1/3 to 1/2 the liquid you carry is an electrolyte replacement, and personally I'd recommend using Pedialyte; check the weather before you leave; check all your gear repeatedly to ensure you have everything you need.

I did a hike in the back country in Death Valley three weeks ago, and executed a 20-hour hike with a 7,000 vertical ascent and descent, covering 29 miles. Couldn't have done that safely without having the right equipment and planning. Adventure safely, and have fun!

That's a badass hike.

Water is available out where this guy died. In fact, I heard they found him with his feet in the water... What we do when we're out there is carry pre-measured doses of Gatorade powder in zip bags. It helps get rid of the iodine taste from treating the water and the sugar doesn't hurt when that backpack is sucking calories out of your body faster than you can keep up. I usually use half-doses, because the sugary taste bugs me and I know that Gatorade tends to be a bit overboard on electrolytes for a 75ish degree day. I've been TOLD that you don't have to treat the water out there, but I always do, since Giardia doesn't sound like a good time.

Just the same, if the circumstances were right, I might take my chances... If I magically lost my fire-making stuff and canteen cup. I could see losing my iodine pills, since I have the bad habit of dosing my water while I'm standing in the middle of the river, LOL. Even then, I'd have to be separated from my buddy, since we both take a bottle of iodine pills, and one of us leaves his sealed unless we need it.

Two is one. One is none.

Top Bottom