Ammo run? Availability? Buying stock-ups?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Stocked up for years. Usually in election years, prices go up and it's the worst time to buy though it seems to apply more when we have a republican president in office that could lose to a democrat. Since FJB is already in office, maybe that's the difference or possibly nobody believes he'll win.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You can only have too much ammo if you're swimming or on fire!

Of course, after headlines like "Trump shooter bought 50 rounds of ammo hours before assassination attempt" which "Senior law enforcement officials" claimed was "a large amount;" or if Biden wins the election, things could get slim pickings like the did when Obama was first elected (I still have ammo stocked from them).

By it cheap and stack it deep!

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Stocked up for years. Usually in election years, prices go up and it's the worst time to buy though it seems to apply more when we have a republican president in office that could lose to a democrat. Since FJB is already in office, maybe that's the difference or possibly nobody believes he'll win.
    I would say prices rise during elections when Democrats are expected to do well. It appears ammo buyers do not think this election will be a problem.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I'm good on ammo, hookers, and blow. Do need new gym shoes, though.....
    I would think you will be able to pick and choose on some slightly used kicks once TSHTF. Stacking their dead bodies (using a tractor of course) into a wall for the buzzards to feed on will reveal Antifa, BLM, D.U. and imbibes for Palestine all have nice new gym shoes. Y ou know how they love to enter high end stores and help themselves.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I would think you will be able to pick and choose on some slightly used kicks once TSHTF. Stacking their dead bodies (using a tractor of course) into a wall for the buzzards to feed on will reveal Antifa, BLM, D.U. and imbibes for Palestine all have nice new gym shoes. Y ou know how they love to enter high end stores and help themselves.

Some things I just don't buy used.....

....however, if you know where I can find a slightly used DPMS rifle.....

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Prices are actually pretty decent right now across the board. Definitely not pre-pandemic but also not sky high. Since I reload I don't sweat it much. I've spent this last year investing in metals...brass, lead and copper. I've probably got enough primers stacked away to cruise through a few decades of reloading but I'm also not a high volume shooter of late.

I would advise buying now at affordable prices. What's coming around the corner will not be good for the civilian ammo market. The world's top producer of gun cotton is China(30+% world supply) and they cut us and the Europeans off at the beginning of the year. Aka nitrocellulose it's absolutely critical to make gunpowder. I think US manufacturers are running on borrowed time. The bottle neck will inevitably send prices sky high going into 2025 and it will have nothing to do with the winner of the election.

Already Alliant powders are in short supply and what's out there is double or triple what it cost just a few years ago. It will price new reloaders out of it before they even start. A pound of RE15 sells for $100 if you're lucky. That pound will load you about 140 rounds so it's creeping towards $1/shot just for the powder. Once you add a projectile and primer you're screwed at today's prices. Other top choices for calibers like 6.5 creedmor(H4350) are already $80/lb before ship and hazmat.

I'm not trying to encite the panic buying but if you have the means, don't hesitate. When 223 shot up to 60cpr a bunch of people here thought they could wait it out, I predicted 50cpr as the new norm and I haven't been proven wrong. I'm not saying we're going back to $1/Rd 223 but I wouldn't be surprised either. It's on the horizon with rough seas ahead gentlemen.

HelotesChaparral

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2024
    San Antonio
    RE15 is discontinued.

Hodgdon Trail Boss is discontinued. That is why the price is so high.

There is no gunpowder shortage.

There is no nitrocellulose shortage.

Ammo prices are dropping rapidly. Good Winchester FMJ practice ammo is .16c/round vs .34c/round pre covid.

Just a bunch of fear-mongering morons trying to drive up prices because they sell ammo and reloading supplies at gun shows.

cbp210

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I have been stocking up my ammo since Y2K. The only ammo I have been burning like crazy is my 12 gauge target loads for obvious reasons and 9mm but I have several boxes for free a month from my employer.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well it's true back in January a tech with Alliant responded to an email, saying demand is high but they are still manufacturing regularly. He said they have no control beyond initial distribution. So it's possible it's out there but there was no word of reloader 15 being discontinued. My inquiry was specifically about that powder. Of course that was in January.

Care to share where you're getting that Winchester at $8/box Helotes, I'd love to know and stock up. Best deals I've seen are at $12/box or 24cpr.

TexnJpr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    Houston
    I’m pretty stocked up but am always looking for “deals” and purchase when I find them. Don’t want to be caught saying I should’ve bought more when it was cheaper because it likely will never get cheaper. If anything the price will rise with inflation.

kpg4923

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2024
    Central Texas
    I could probably never by another cartridge and not shoot half of what I have. But for every cartridge I shoot I buy ten more right now. When my mother died I inherited a bunch or furniture and silverware. My kids are going to get guns and ammo.

Prices on hunting ammo have fallen dramatically. Loaded Barnes/Nosler/Berger stuff is cheaper than it has been in years. And not Academy has 9mm every day for $12.99 a box of 50 and $59.99 for a box of 250. That is 10% cheaper than their every day prices just a couple of months ago.

KTXdm9

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2024
    Katy, TX
    Availability seems pretty good. Prices are okay, considering how much inflation has impacted everything. I miss the days of sub-$200 cases of 9mm.

Txdweeb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    I try to stock up during summer months since I don’t shoot as much but fall to spring I go thru it. I’ve had no problem with availability even in the one antiquated cartridge I have a jump on the free shipping deals.

Top Bottom