• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I tried finding primers and titegroup powder in 1 place. Midway, graf and son, natchez, Cabelas, bass pro, no back orders allowed, no primers in stock.
    Sinclair allowed a backorder on primers and powder and the option of hold shipping till all items are in.
    FYI

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    In austin, McBrides gunshop had no primers except for 3 boxes(100ct) of shot shell primers. They were also cleaned out of projectiles in 223 and 7.62x39 except for a couple of 100 ct boxes. I talked to the guy behind the counter about using small rifle primers in small pistol loads. He said that back in the day,several magnum and other high-powered calibers actually called for them in a few reloading books. I'm tempted to batch out a few for my 9mm and test that theory.

jtyler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Peeltown
    In austin, McBrides gunshop had no primers except for 3 boxes(100ct) of shot shell primers. They were also cleaned out of projectiles in 223 and 7.62x39 except for a couple of 100 ct boxes. I talked to the guy behind the counter about using small rifle primers in small pistol loads. He said that back in the day,several magnum and other high-powered calibers actually called for them in a few reloading books. I'm tempted to batch out a few for my 9mm and test that theory.
    I may be wrong but I understand that rifle primers are harder than pistol and may not fire in a pistol or may need to be struck more than once to fire.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    The guy said the cups may be harder but said any stock hammer spring would still set them off, no problem. He thought the bigger issue was the seating depth and claimed rifle primer cups were more shallow than pistol ones and would potentially seat too deep increasing the chances of a misfire. Don't know if that is fact or fiction so I may measure some out today with a caliper and find out.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I wanted to take a ride on the Harley so I rode over to Carters Country in Pasadena yesterday.

Ammo was scarce except for unusual rifle calibers, powder was down to a few pounds of less popular types and primers were down to one little box of bench rest primers. The primers were totally cleaned out....even 209 shotgun primers! The shelves were totally bare!

There were a couple of 10 foot sections of their wall mounted gun racks that were empty so they stacked ammo in those places. The guys told me that they walked through a crowd of 25 people to get in for opening time and those stacks of ammo disappeared immediately when the doors opened.

Flash

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The guy said the cups may be harder but said any stock hammer spring would still set them off, no problem. He thought the bigger issue was the seating depth and claimed rifle primer cups were more shallow than pistol ones and would potentially seat too deep increasing the chances of a misfire. Don't know if that is fact or fiction so I may measure some out today with a caliper and find out.

I measured spp depth @ .122" and small rifle benchrest primer @ .122" , both remington primers. I'll probably load some small rifle primers in some .38 spl and try the revolvers and lever action rifle. I'll report results when through testing.

Top Bottom