• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Powder valley is already out of stock on most of their primers, all small pistol primers are gone.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    On back order at Cabela's also. CCI, Winchester, and Federal Small pistol. Maybe some small rifle left but I didn't see any.

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    If y'all ever get around Houston/Cypress area, 10 Ring has primers and powder. They are kinda skinny on bullets and brass for 556 and 308 though. Word is they have orders being shipped already so ya might want to keep an eye out.
    Next time I go by there, I'll give a reoprt as to their inventory.

JimBobKelley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2010
    I went by 10-Ring today. I needed some things to get started loading with my Father-in-laws old RCBS and Jennifer at 10-Ring was extremely helpful. Damn that girl knows her stuff especially to someone new to reloading.

10-Ring had some powder and primers in stock. I loaded my first six today and look forward to many many more after I figure out some problems I ran into.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    The Powderhorn in San Antonio has Primers/Powder/Bullets/Brass, and black powder substitutes, still. No bulk orders for .223 Bullets, though. (Lots of .452 Dia. Lead still on the floor.)

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I went by 10-Ring today. I needed some things to get started loading with my Father-in-laws old RCBS and Jennifer at 10-Ring was extremely helpful. Damn that girl knows her stuff especially to someone new to reloading.

10-Ring had some powder and primers in stock. I loaded my first six today and look forward to many many more after I figure out some problems I ran into.

Be careful...she talks real fast, but once you start reloading you'll discover most of it's just pitching.
    I heard her tell a guy that titegroup was the best pistol powder because it grouped tight. I shit you not.
    She's a sweetheart, but that doesn't mean she knows jack about reloading.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I will say if you can only buy a little and it needs to go a long way tight group is the one to buy. It seems to go about twice as far as other powders.

natgas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    I've got about 8,000 primers and finding more isn't easy; I've been hunting all day and no SPP to be found anywhere (unless you want to pay some retailers really high prices)

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Good call, IXLR8. I saw some SP primers available at a few places last week. Decided not to panic-buy and what do ya know...all sold out now. Glad I've got about 2K left, might get me through the drought. Otherwise, it may be time to do some horse-tradin' here on TGT. I've got plenty of WIN LP, CCI LP mag and STD, Fed LR,etc but my sp primer supply is shrinkin' by the day.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have seen any online in two weeks, didn't expect the primers to get hit so quickly but I guess others were more on the ball than I was.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Dare I say that there will be shortage of reloading equipment next? It seems as though I fail to keep a positive outlook through these tough times. If they really do start limiting online or bulk ammo purchases, more people will have to turn to reloading. From a long term perspective, it would be nice to have a secondary source for ammo.

MR2Aaron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I have seen any online in two weeks, didn't expect the primers to get hit so quickly but I guess others were more on the ball than I was.

Yes and no. The biggest consumers of primers aren't reloaders, but rather the factories that make ammo all day every day. Those are the folks who have the greatest need for this particular commodity, and probably also the preferred customers of the factories that make it. I'd imagine that's where all the primers are disappearing to.

Now, I could see a run on reloading gear and materials if there's legislation passed that would limit the amount of finished ammo you can have at one time or something, but I don't think that's what's happening yet.

Edit: If there were a shortage on reloading equipment, it would be a short term deal. Once the initial wave of folks who decided to start reloading all once got satisfied, the demand would settle back to a sustainable level. That could actually be a good thing, though, in the longer term.

Imagine what it would be like if Dillon or Hornady offered a fully automatic reloading press. You basically dump all the components in, and turn it on, and it spits out finished rounds. They're not quite there yet, from what I can tell, but if reloading was the only way to get enthusiast quantities of ammo, I could see something like that catching on.

Last edited:

drawl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Jeff Cooper, several years ago, in his column in Guns and Ammo, said feds were trying to outlaw interstate shipment of primers, due to lead content, so everyone should go buy 5,000 primers. 1/2 mill people read G and A at the time. It took the primer makers YEARS of 24-7 operation to catch up with the demand, and they also developed "non-lead" primers, which, or so I understand, don't have as long a shelf life. So store the lead Azide primers and use up the non lead stuff.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Yes and no. The biggest consumers of primers aren't reloaders, but rather the factories that make ammo all day every day. Those are the folks who have the greatest need for this particular commodity, and probably also the preferred customers of the factories that make it. I'd imagine that's where all the primers are disappearing to.

Now, I could see a run on reloading gear and materials if there's legislation passed that would limit the amount of finished ammo you can have at one time or something, but I don't think that's what's happening yet.

Edit: If there were a shortage on reloading equipment, it would be a short term deal. Once the initial wave of folks who decided to start reloading all once got satisfied, the demand would settle back to a sustainable level. That could actually be a good thing, though, in the longer term.

Imagine what it would be like if Dillon or Hornady offered a fully automatic reloading press. You basically dump all the components in, and turn it on, and it spits out finished rounds. They're not quite there yet, from what I can tell, but if reloading was the only way to get enthusiast quantities of ammo, I could see something like that catching on.

Your right, reloading equipment is not a consumable like primers or powder. Good call.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I visited my local reloading store in Mesquite, Texas two weeks ago. The guy who runs the store is a friend of mine. When I entered the store he said "if you are looking for anything related to .223 reloading, I am out of stock on everything". He was not kidding. He had no brass, no small rifle primers, no .224 dia. bullets of any size, and no powder of any brand that one could use to reload .223 ammo. He said his distributors were telling him they had no idea when he could place new orders. I have acculated over 15,000 small rifle primers over the past two years and have a couple of thousand Sierra MatchKing bullets on hand. I use Winchester 748 for most of my rifle loads and have 16 pounds on hand. Depending on what the government does, we may have a hard time getting componets in the future. Worse yet we may have to pay considerably more for them.

Top Bottom