• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Been seeing these guys at the local gun shows and it re-sparked an interest in these things. Up until recently it was pretty expensive to get a decent cannon, but these folks got it down to reasonable prices.

Golfball Launchers by American Cannons

Prices range from $325-$385 for just a basic barrel and $185 for a stand. You can upgrade from there to carbon wrapped barrels and black oxide coatings if you want to spend some more.

I figure a homemade stand could be put together from scrap wood and a few fasteners from the hardware store for <$10 similar to those wood ones shown in their videos.

They use a shot glass to measure the black powder charges and I am sure a full 500 grains of powder will give an impressive bang on the range.

oxide%20cannon%20stand.png

Might be a blast to one. I know the shot will travel a long ass way and can do some damage due to experiences with the golf balls I've launched using only a 5.56mm blank out of my AR.

I estimate you could be on the range with one of these with a budget of less than $400.

(disclaimer: While this may seem like a ThreAD, I am in no way associated with these folks. But if there is a large interest, maybe ask them to be a sponsor and offer TGT discounts. Sure there could be a spot found at the next Hicksville event for them.)

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I posted about my cannon experiences a while back so I won't bore you guys with them again. My machinist friends in Tulsa got into cannons pretty deeply. The biggest one had a 1" bore, used motorcycle wheels on the carriage and shot a 3000 grain solid lead projectile. That monster used a LOT of black powder for every shot! I don't remember what the powder charge was but it had to be close to a can of powder per shot!

Another cannon creation was a platform gun like a rail car gun. It was about 12" long. We couldn't understand why that one shot so high until I snapped a 35mm picture of it under recoil. When I got the film back, we got the answer......The cannon was standing straight up 12 o'clock but it happened so fast that we couldn't see it!

I tried to chronograph that 1" bore cannon and the blast was so intense that it blew my entire sky screen setup downrange!

My advice? Keep it small! I have a neat little .500" bore cannon that would be pretty inexpensive to shoot if I chose to do so. It's unfired.

Flash

Last edited:

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I've seen the bowling ball morters, but nothing like this....

If we could gt them to run us a deal, I'd be interested, I wouldn't put an eye out, but it'd take a hand off! LOL!

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Isn't a morter just a cannon pointed more.....up?
    Ya, I'd guess the difference is between lobbing something up and over to the target and direct shooting.

Wiki: A mortar is an indirect fire weapon that fires explosive projectiles known as (mortar) bombs at low velocities, short ranges, and high-arcing ballistic trajectories. It is typically muzzle-loading and has a barrel length less than 15 times its caliber.

Top Bottom