Austin - Rockdale
    1717097869393.png

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    In other news, a major tech company is using AI as an excuse to trim your privacy rights. It's going viral as of today.

As a graphic designer who used Adobe products for well over 15 years, I can tell you that one of my fondest wishes is to travel to San Jose, visit the Adobe headquarters, and kick every fucking ass I find there. Adobe is like Microsoft - their product is crap, but they've bought out just about all of their competitors. Thankfully my current employer uses CorelDraw, so I at least have a new dream of driving to Canada to visit the Corel headquarters...

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've been using the same standalone copy of Photoshop for ~15 years and will never "upgrade". Never bought into their cloud bullshit, and this is just the culmination of it. If you don't custody it, you don't own it.

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    I’m waiting for the babe robot like above, but with no AI… my kind of gal :)

Last edited:

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I've been using the same standalone copy of Photoshop for ~15 years and will never "upgrade". Never bought into their cloud bullshit, and this is just the culmination of it. If you don't custody it, you don't own it.
    You know you can upgrade and not use the cloud.

I use Photoshop everyday and with the right plugins, it does everything I need. I can not imagine doing my job without it.

I just upgraded to the newest version and the generative fill feature has been the single bigest time saver for my work.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    You know you can upgrade and not use the cloud.

I use Photoshop everyday and with the right plugins, it does everything I need. I can not imagine doing my job without it.

I just upgraded to the newest version and the generative fill feature has been the single bigest time saver for my work.

If you're using the latest version, then you don't own the software. You're just a subscriber and when Adobe decides to bump the subscription price up, you're stuck paying it or your subscription will be canceled and the software you've installed won't work anymore.

There hasn't been an option to just stick with the version you've got since CS6 in 2012. And if you're having to send documents back and forth to other organizations, you won't be able to open their art with your older software.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    If you're using the latest version, then you don't own the software. You're just a subscriber and when Adobe decides to bump the subscription price up, you're stuck paying it or your subscription will be canceled and the software you've installed won't work anymore.

There hasn't been an option to just stick with the version you've got since CS6 in 2012. And if you're having to send documents back and forth to other organizations, you won't be able to open their art with your older software.
    I am aware of that, but it is one of the necessary tools for my work so I have no problem with it.

As for not being able to stick with the older versions, before I did the recent upgrade, I was at least 3 versions behind and everything worked just fine even if I was not connected to the internot. I would not have upgraded at all but there were some new features that would help me with my work flow.

I also do not have to open art from other originations, although they often have to open mine and there has never been a problme there.
    The only files from others that I have to open, are files out of the cameras of the photographers I have working for me.

Anyway, as I already said, PS is a necessary tool, so I will continue to use it until there is something better that does everything I need it to do.
    On the other hand, Adobe Lightroom sucks. Tried it. Hated it, and won't make that mistake again.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    In other news, a major tech company is using AI as an excuse to trim your privacy rights. It's going viral as of today.

It doesn't really have anything to do with "AI". It's a red herring they intentionally injected to justify them stealing your shit. They issued a response to the backlash which doesn't address the concerns. This guy entertainingly goes over it while calling them rapists:

Bigguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2024
    Texarkana
    I am aware of that, but it is one of the necessary tools for my work so I have no problem with it.

As for not being able to stick with the older versions, before I did the recent upgrade, I was at least 3 versions behind and everything worked just fine even if I was not connected to the internot. I would not have upgraded at all but there were some new features that would help me with my work flow.

I also do not have to open art from other originations, although they often have to open mine and there has never been a problme there.
    The only files from others that I have to open, are files out of the cameras of the photographers I have working for me.

Anyway, as I already said, PS is a necessary tool, so I will continue to use it until there is something better that does everything I need it to do.
    On the other hand, Adobe Lightroom sucks. Tried it. Hated it, and won't make that mistake again.
    Adobe

I despise Adobe, but recognize that it is a necessary evil if you’re doing professional graphics.

I remember when Quark Express was the default layout application in newspapers and most other publications. Aldus Freehand was the most popular vector graphics application.

When we fired up our telephone modems to download photos and graphic from the AP, you selected from several formats, the first most popular was TIFF. (Tagged Image File Format) You’d get a huge file of marginal quality coming over your dial-up modem. (56 KPS or less.)

From my seat in the newspaper industry I watched Adobe get in bed with the AP and get PDFs (which was a superior format in those day) set as the standard. So newspapers, and anybody else using AP graphics, had Adobe Acrobat.

Non vector files went with the Joint Photographic Experts Group. (JPEG) format. Adobe didn’t fight it because their bread and butter was in vector images, not photos.

Fast forward a year or so, and Adobe sales people came slinking around with smiles sweet as sugar offering “competitive” upgrades to Illustrator and InDesign. Basically we paid an upgrade price for the Adobe programs.

This was attractive to newspapers, and other graphic designers and publishers, because the files were more likely compatible. In the early days, it was not uncommon to be unable to import an Adobe graphic into an Express file. We’ve had to print the graphic, then photograph it and import it as a photo.

Another smart strategy was that they offered “lite” versions of PhotoShop free with the type of high end scanners business used.

So we wound up with dozens of copies of PhotoShop Lite throughout the building. You only had to buy the expensive app for the relatively few employees who needed the full capabilities.

Then, the moon turned full. Those smiling, friendly Adobe sales people showed transformed into monsters with bloodshot eyes and gore dripping from their fangs as they demanded we run audits on all of our computers to be sure we weren’t running illicit Adobe software.

My shop was one of, if not THE only, places that did not have illegal software installed. I’d been in screaming matches with other department heads and threatened with my job many times. When the boss started refusing to send me signed memos ordering such installations, I began to send him memos saying something similar to, “As per your orders, I have installed …” etc. They gave me the nick name “The Memo King.” But they wouldn’t go on the record to force me to install unlicensed software.

The app Adobe gave us to run disingenuously found things like free versions of PhotoShop lite long forgotten in a Rosetta Stone folder. They also tried to ding us for copies of CS-2 we’d bought from third parties. Back in those days, that was completely legal. Adobe had changed the EULAs in later versions to make them nontransferable, but that in no way delegitimized our copies.

I looked for open source alternatives, but never found anything that was reliable in a professional setting.

Now retired, I no longer need vector graphics. Pixelmator serves my photo and graphic editing needs. I used Open and Neo office for a while, but when I started self publishing I discovered that they were unreliable when exporting to PDFs. So I bit the bullet and got one of the last stand alone copies of MS Office. It has served my needs so far.

Last edited:

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I no longer need vector graphics.
    If you ever get back into it checkout Inkscape. I used to use Illustrator for both dimensionally accurate 2d drawings as well as art, but have completely switched to FreeCad and Inkscape for those two tasks.

As far as I can tell, there's still no good FOSS competitor for Photoshop or Lightroom. I'm content to use old ass copies for those.

It's not FOSS, but I've switched over to Davinci Resolve from Premier. Once I got used to it's workflow I like it a lot better, too.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon! FKH
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    Then, the moon turned full. Those smiling, friendly Adobe sales people showed transformed into monsters with bloodshot eyes and gore dripping from their fangs as they demanded we run audits on all of our computers to be sure we weren’t running illicit Adobe software.
    For some time, Adobe printed serial numbers on the outside of the box for retail versions.

One of my favorite days was when Steve Jobs made John Warnock of Adobe (I think that's the right name) cry.

Bigguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2024
    Texarkana
    I meant to mention in the above post, but forgot, that Adobe tried to not recognize the competitive upgrades from Quark. They claimed they never did that. Fortunately, one of our vendors had kept and sent us a copy of the correspondence from Adobe instructing them to recognize those upgrades.
    It didn't take many years for Adobe to change from humble, hat in hand, "give us a chance" people to Il Duce issuing demands, decrees, and threats.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    ' “We don’t have the same biases or emotions that can sometimes cloud decision-making, and can process large amounts of data quickly in order to make the best decisions.'
    AI is a 'search engine' that 'finds' possible answers to a question. AI search algorithms can be 'colored' by the programmer.

Top Bottom