• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I am currently attending Texas A&M and had an idea the other day while shooting M16's for Army ROTC. What all would it take and who would I possibly have to talk to, to create an Aggie three gun team. A&M currently has a trap and skeet team so I don't think it would be that hard to get a three gun team going. All input is accepted.
    Venture Surplus ad

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    There's an Aggie joke in here somewhere......

How many Aggies does it take to have a 3 gun match?

One to shoot...
    one to setup targets...
    one to keep score...
    and one to call the ambulance for the second guy in the list that's holding up the targets...

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Hey now Cody!

Hotshot, what you have working against you for a varsity sport is the Title IX (equal number of girls sports). You could probably do a club team. I'd call Rec Sports and see who they can refer you to. I'm not sure if they'd let you organize formally in the middle of the year though.

I say go for it! You're going to make the Ranger Challenge guys guys look bad with their blanks and staged quad assaults, terrorizing the poor girls of the south side dorms, LOL

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    That sounds like it could become a lot of trouble really quickly. I think the first stop would be the coach of the skeet team to get advice on his program and maybe working under his umbrella. Check into Scholarships, insurance, budget, transport and all the other logistics. The Dean of students could also help direct you.
    Or you could put on a burgundy shirt and just shoot like everyone else.

Langenator

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    College Station
    Hey now Cody!

Hotshot, what you have working against you for a varsity sport is the Title IX (equal number of girls sports). You could probably do a club team. I'd call Rec Sports and see who they can refer you to. I'm not sure if they'd let you organize formally in the middle of the year though.

I say go for it! You're going to make the Ranger Challenge guys guys look bad with their blanks and staged quad assaults, terrorizing the poor girls of the south side dorms, LOL

You know, I keep saying that the way to neutralize Title IX would be to declare football a co-ed sport. No girls are going to make the team (at least in D-I), but you'd remove that big pile of 'excess' mens' scholarships.

You wouldn't be able to make it a varsity sport, anyway, since the NCAA doesn't sanction 3-gun. (I'm less than 100% sure about Olympic rifle and pistol. I was on the rifle team back as an undergrad, but I don't remember if it was NCAA, NRA, or what.)

And if you're looking for a way to get the school to help pay for your 3-gun fun, given the current budget situation, it probably ain't gonna happen.

Now, question for the OP - have you ever been out to the Cawthon Cartridge Club out south of Welborn? I just discovered them, and from their web site, and a couple of emails with what I assume is one of the guys who runs the place, it looks like they run 3-gun matches a couple of times a month, Heavy Metal one weekend and standard rules the next.

Their stage descriptions look like they go for high round count stuff, especially for the shotguns. I'm trying to figure out how to carry enough shells for every stage if I can manage to get to a match.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    Hey hotshot. the first thing you need to do is find someone on staff at A&M that is willing to sponsor a team. Next you need a range that is close buy that will let you hold matches ect. If you can get those two things done you would be 90% there.

I was the prez of the sports car club when I was in school so I may be able to help you navigate some of the club rules

Hunter

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I am currently attending Texas A&M and had an idea the other day while shooting M16's for Army ROTC. What all would it take and who would I possibly have to talk to, to create an Aggie three gun team. A&M currently has a trap and skeet team so I don't think it would be that hard to get a three gun team going. All input is accepted.

PM me and I can advise.

Be well.

Top Bottom