• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Toki Wartooth

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Leander, TX
    I recently moved to a 5 acre parcel outside the Leander city limits and have been trying to decide how to construct a proper backstop for pistol and shotgun practice (most likely at a distance of 7-14 yards from firing line). As it is, I'm firing at a slope with woods behind it. But a ricochet could conceivably cross my property line.

I had considered using 3 or 4 of the large round hay bales as a backstop, as this was suggested on another forum. But after additional research I discovered that hay, even tightly compressed hay in large quantities, doesn't make the best backstop. Also I'd hate to think of a deer feeding on tainted hay and then ending up on someone's dinner table.

I'm willing to hire a landscaper to dump a truckload or two of dirt in a pile, but I'm thinking that there has to be a slightly more efficient solution. For one thing, dirt has a tendencies to obey gravity and slump, and over time it's washed away.

I've also heard used tires suggested. Something about driving posts into the ground and then stacking tires on them? But I also read that rounds can ricochet off of tires.

So any advice concerning matieral and methods would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
    Gun Zone Deals

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    You could build a 4-foot wide/3-feet deep concrete frame that allows you to stack some 2x4's vertically in front and back, and put dirt inside that. That way, you still have the dirt, and you have a retaining mechanism that can be refreshed with new wood when it's necessary.

dickttx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I am probably the one who asked about hay bales on the other forum. There were several good ideas presented there. The best to me were probably using cross ties to build a frame and filling it with sand. I particulary liked the one who periodically mined his sand for lead. If you have a tractor and loader that would be pretty easy to maintain.
    Around here, the cost of cross ties and a couple of loads of sand would be pretty substantial. However, if you just bought your place, the cost over the long run would not be too bad. For shotgun, I think all you would need is a little space.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Since you are shooting up a slope, why not rent a tool to level out the range and thus create an earthen backstop. If the slope is not enough then use the removed dirt to fill the backstop. Whatever you do, I envy you your own place to shoot. Its a dream of many of us. Congratulations.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Unfortunately in that area the ground is not very deep before you hit solid limestone.

What I would do is this ... get some railroad ties or large timbers to build in the sides of the backstop. I would excavate out the sides of the slope to a point and build out the berm on this "foundation". The idea is loose material like a sandy loam or something that will not compact like a chocolate loam or predominantly clay dirt. Sand works perfectly for this, but it also has no surface tension ... so it erodes fast.

Build the berm about 8' tall if you can. The taller the better, and grow grass on top of it. The grass will help the erosion issue.

Toki Wartooth

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Leander, TX
    Fantastic! Thanks for the advice, guys!
    I am in the process of digesting it all.
    1911, you're absolutely correct about the composition of the soil out here on the edge of hill country. We've got a few inches of topsoil and then it gets rocky as hell, otherwise I'd hire/rent a mini excavator or something and just pile up my own dirt rather than having to ship it in.

No one commented on the used tires. I will take that to mean that they don't make an optimal backstop :)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've thought of making a wall with railroad ties or timbers and then lining the wall with sandbags. When one sandbag gets shot out I can remove it, dump the sand and sift for the bullets. Maybe even patch the bag up and reuse it.

Toki Wartooth

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Leander, TX
    My father was a carpenter. Now I wish I'd spent more time learning his trade rather than playing zork or planetfall. Being able to build a simple wall is something I never thought I'd have to do. Now I pay the price :P

So a single layer of sandbags should be able to stop .45 ACP hardball or even 5.56 mm cold, correct?

codeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    TX
    Unfortunately in that area the ground is not very deep before you hit solid limestone.

What I would do is this ... get some railroad ties or large timbers to build in the sides of the backstop. I would excavate out the sides of the slope to a point and build out the berm on this "foundation". The idea is loose material like a sandy loam or something that will not compact like a chocolate loam or predominantly clay dirt. Sand works perfectly for this, but it also has no surface tension ... so it erodes fast.

Build the berm about 8' tall if you can. The taller the better, and grow grass on top of it. The grass will help the erosion issue.
    +1 on the grass idea. That's what I was thinking about. I've always considered dirt or sand as the best back stop.

My father was a carpenter. Now I wish I'd spent more time learning his trade rather than playing zork or planetfall. Being able to build a simple wall is something I never thought I'd have to do. Now I pay the price :P

So a single layer of sandbags should be able to stop .45 ACP hardball or even 5.56 mm cold, correct?
    I wouldn't count on a single layer of sandbags.

Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    If you could build that berm 8 ft. high, caliche would be good also. Backho a ditch in front of the berm for your railroad ties , drop them in upright as wide as you like. That would work also. Those big lumbered railroad ties would make a good backstop for almost anything fired at them with that berm behind it as a 2nd stop.
    Doesn't have to be caliche dirt ...just some kind of a berm behind the wall.

Top Bottom