• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Someone needs to explain the who tj and jk thing. It's jargon to a non-Jeep owner. I appreciate all the advice but you're talking right past me on those.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Jeep fans (myself included) will often refer to models by their chassis code. For example, the 84'-01' Jeep Cherokee had a chassis code of XJ, the 87'-95' Wrangler with the square headlights had a chassis code of YJ, etc.. As for most things, there is a Wikipedia article deciphering the various codes.

::EDIT:: Ninja'd!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I had both in my driveway for 5 months or so. Still have the Prius :D

My other car is a small Toyota Yaris hatchback, and I sometimes drive a Prius for the SAPD. I honestly love the Yaris, it's a fun car albeit a lightly-powered one (105 hp); but the Prius just doesn't do it for me and some owners are really snotty towards 4WDs...

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    My other car is a small Toyota Yaris hatchback, and I sometimes drive a Prius for the SAPD. I honestly love the Yaris, it's a fun car albeit a lightly-powered one (105 hp); but the Prius just doesn't do it for me and some owners are really snotty towards 4WDs...

Not to get off topic but I test drove a Yaris hatchback and drove a good friend's numerous times and despite the tiny engine those cars weigh next to nothing so they seem really quick and agile. Better gas mileage than a smart car, more room, and cheaper. I hate the newer body stylings but it is definitely one of my favorite subcompacts.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Not to get off topic but I test drove a Yaris hatchback and drove a good friend's numerous times and despite the tiny engine those cars weigh next to nothing so they seem really quick and agile. Better gas mileage than a smart car, more room, and cheaper. I hate the newer body stylings but it is definitely one of my favorite subcompacts.

I love my 200 Yaris, it's a lot of fun on back roads but not so much on the highway. It gets great gas mileage (35 MPG) despite being an automatic paired with larger, wider tires. Unfortunately, the southcentral Texas sun has not been nice to the paint job of Toyota's entry-level economy car; but despite that I will drive it until the day it dies or I do.

It's always a tough decision as to whether to drive it or the Jeep. Both are fun vehicles, but completely opposite of each other!

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    I was about to give up this dream but someone around the corner is selling a '97 Jeep Wranger with 88k miles and wants $7000. It's a 4 banger, which is less than ideal but other than that seems to be in good condition. May be able to schedule a test drive today and contact a mechanic buddy. Trying to decide if I want a 20 year old Jeep though. Certainly in the budget, I could pay cash for that.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I was about to give up this dream but someone around the corner is selling a '97 Jeep Wranger with 88k miles and wants $7000. It's a 4 banger, which is less than ideal but other than that seems to be in good condition. May be able to schedule a test drive today and contact a mechanic buddy. Trying to decide if I want a 20 year old Jeep though. Certainly in the budget, I could pay cash for that.

At least it doesn't have square headlights! :D

Honestly, that's extremely low mileage for a 19-year-old vehicle. I would check it out and if it's in good shape, offer him $6000 for it. Not being the 4.0 I6 takes a bite out of the value, as does the age even despite the low miles. At worse he comes back at $6500 which gives you $500 to put into it if needed. If not, it's still not a bad deal.

What would you do with it? Would it be an extra vehicle or a primary daily driver. Even if that's the case, as long as it's a manual the four banger should suffice as long as you don't try to add 35" booger tires on it!

Cheers! M2

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Talked about it with my wife and just too many questions around it, we decided to pass. Breaks my heart a little bit but realizing that waiting for a couple of years until my younger son is driving and getting myself a new vehicle then may be a better option.

Realized this morning I really don't want the 4 banger because I have driven one of the older Jeeps before and it was really tough when you get out on the Dallas highways with such a slow accelerating beast. The more I thought about it the more I didn't want to settle just so I could have a fun vehicle and our experience with used cars has not been positive overall.

For a moment though, this weekend I thought my dream of getting a Wrangler as my next car was still alive, but damn common sense and reason overruled me.

Vec

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 8, 2015
    suburbs
    i drive my 2001 TJ 4.0 5speed daily, and love it, especially with no doors and just the safari top.

if you really want a jeep get one.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I slightly disagree. 4 banger is slow, but it gets up to 55 mph pretty quick.

Maybe 65 heading north with a summer tail wind.

When I was in college, I drove one with 32" tires. I NEVER got a speeding ticket.

Never got in a wreck. Cuz I was never going fast enough. It was a brilliant a move by my parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schep

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2013
    I have had 4 jeeps '99, '02, '09, and '14. That have all been a lot of fun. I prefer TJ's but the JK's ride much more like a "car."
    1ad62f9e053bcf2dee99e1fea62c83c5.jpg

Top Bottom