• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I want to buy a .22 LR rifle, but I want something that is more accurate than your average rifle. About the only thing I can come up with is a bull-barrel 10/22, but I'm not sold on it being on par with what I want.

Anyone got any ideas?
    DK Firearms

armadillo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    TX
    Take a look at the CZ 452 bolt action - good accuracy out to 100 yds. I like the "American" - no fixed sights and set up for standard US 22 dovetail scope mounts. The other CZs take a european scope mount that may be hard to get.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Define good, like 1 MOA good?

Out to what kind of range? 1 MOA at 100 yards is pretty tough for a .22. 1 MOA out to 200? No way.

You'll also have to select your ammo very carefully if you want to go past about 75 yards and remain accurate, even with a very accurate .22.

I can clock golf balls at 100 about 1/3 with my Marlin M60 and Aguila Supermaximum hollowpoints. Golf balls are under 2"..

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    The CZ 452 is good, even better with a trigger job. With a decent scope and ammo that your rifle likes (mine shoots Winchester Dynapoint better than Eley RWS ETC go figure) you can expect 1 MOA at 100yds.

Not sure if you are wanting a single shot bench gun or a repeater, but my best shooting rimfire is a B.S.A. International, a martini action topped with a 12X Lyman Super Targetspot. With Lapua Midas or the now discontinued Federal Ultramatch it will definitely get 1 MOA and better depending on my skill that day

armadillo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    TX
    Define good, like 1 MOA good?

It gives me 2-2 1/2" 5 shot groups @100 yds using W-W High velocity HPs.

I understand the heavy barrel ones do much better, but I went for the handier, lighter one for my purposes.

I used a Neil Jones rim thickness gauge to sort the ammo, but it doesn't seem to make any difference with this rifle.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    That's not bad at all.

I have an old Winchester that is a family hand-down, but I really don't want to shoot it alot for fear of damaging it. It's not worth much more than $75, but it's something I want to keep intact.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The CZ 452 is good, even better with a trigger job. With a decent scope and ammo that your rifle likes (mine shoots Winchester Dynapoint better than Eley RWS ETC go figure) you can expect 1 MOA at 100yds.

Not sure if you are wanting a single shot bench gun or a repeater, but my best shooting rimfire is a B.S.A. International, a martini action topped with a 12X Lyman Super Targetspot. With Lapua Midas or the now discontinued Federal Ultramatch it will definitely get 1 MOA and better depending on my skill that day

That's what I'm talking about!

I know CZ builds a good accurate rifle. My friend's .204 Ruger CZ shoots on par with my other friend's heavy barrel Remington with a B&C stock, tuned trigger, etc.

I love the look of the "African" version of the .22 LR CZ bolt rifles. I'm not sure what the name is, but it looks like a .375 H&H African big game rifle, but it's .22 LR.

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    I love the look of the "African" version of the .22 LR CZ bolt rifles. I'm not sure what the name is, but it looks like a .375 H&H African big game rifle, but it's .22 LR.

Sounds like the "Lux" version, oh yeah I like the look of it, very classic. I have the 452 Silhouette version with a 22.5 barrel, they now make a 452 Ultra-lux that has a 28.6 barrel that I just bet shoots sooooo sweet

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I have a 10/22 reworked with bull barrel,2lb trigger, bolt polished andpinned and Boyd stock, shoot 50 yard groups about dime sized and 1.5 at 100 yards with match ammo on a no wind day,cost about $500,but it is super fun. I have a Marlin 981T(bolt) that will do about same at 50yards have not tested yet at 100, but it cost $180.

The fun factor is with the 10/22,but getting good groups you will spend some bucks while the Marlin will do so out of the box.

Cost wise and accuracy goes to savage and Marlin with Bolt action 22.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I know its not best for it.. but I put my ciener kit in my 24" bull barrel and shoot .22 at a 10x10 steel plate at 300 yards.. Its alot of fun and a challenge. Ive never counted my moa on it since i just start at zero and mil till i make a hit then adjust the turret so i dont know the drop.

Anyway Rem 514 .22 single shot. Stock they are pretty good and I know alot of people back in the day put a little work into them and turned them into very accurate little rifles.

Side note: I traded a rambo knife to my dads friend for the Rem 514 youth model. Still have it to this day. Nothing more frustrating than trying to shoot rabbits with a finger loading single shot .22 its all i had though till i was probably 11

Top Bottom