Texas SOT

About to take the plunge and...............

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    .......need some recommendations please. I've realize we've got some Class 3 dealers supporting the forum and I've read about some good one's on here but I need to stay in the San Antonio area mostly but Austin might also work. Houston is just a too far at this time. I'm not looking for cheap just a "good" suppressor for a competetive price and I definately want somebody with a good reputation to work with. I started reading in the Class 3 forum about Chuck's Class 3 and it looked good............until I got further down the page. I wish him luck with his issues. I have a trust (generated by an attorney) in place so that part is not an issue. I'm basically looking for a suppressor for a Glock 23. I already have a threaded barrel for this pistol. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    I'm sure you will find an excellent dealer in your area but i don't have any personal experience in your part of the state with which to make recommendations. For a first can I highly recommend a .22 of some sort. I find I use my .22 cans more than any others and they are also quietest due to caliber. A good 9mm can from any of the reputable manufacturers should be fine and the choice depends most on which options you desire. Titanium for light weight, multiple mounting options and price can all be a specific enticement depending on the individual.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I'm sure you will find an excellent dealer in your area but i don't have any personal experience in your part of the state with which to make recommendations. For a first can I highly recommend a .22 of some sort. I find I use my .22 cans more than any others and they are also quietest due to caliber. A good 9mm can from any of the reputable manufacturers should be fine and the choice depends most on which options you desire. Titanium for light weight, multiple mounting options and price can all be a specific enticement depending on the individual.

I appreciate the input and recommendations. I don't own a .22 or a 9mm at the moment so for the moment I'll be staying with the .40. If I see a trip to Houston in the near future, I'll certainly give you guys a call.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    What ever can you decide upon, be sure you are still able to use your sights.
    The can I use on my HK Tactical is great on that gun, but when I use it on my Glocks, the sights are not truly functional.

This can is also functional on .45, .40 & 9mm by merely switching out the piston.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I appreciate the input and recommendations. I don't own a .22 or a 9mm at the moment so for the moment I'll be staying with the .40. If I see a trip to Houston in the near future, I'll certainly give you guys a call.

To get the most benefit, the round needs to stay sub-sonic.
    .45acp does this naturally, & .22lr out of a short barrel (3.5") should also.....anything else you should purchase ammo designed to stay sub-sonic.

Please correct me on these statements if they are incorrect.

subhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2010
    tyler, TX
    you've got several really great options for a 45 can, most are wet suppressors. In 45 from my experience just means that every 8-13 shots you throw a little more gel or water in the can to help cool the gasses and maintain your suppression. Some of the newer 45 cans are hearing safe dry and they sound pretty good but with 45 a little media in the suppressor always drops the sound. Ive heard gemtech, silencerco osprey, aac evo, and aac ti rant and all did the job they were meant to do, even though the ti rant can be ran dry it was still better with wet media in it. There are a ton of cans out there so its hard to see them all, I do know that the Evo 45 dropped in price whenever the ti rant came out and its been great on both my hk usp and 45 1911. Ive had mine for about 5 years now and its still working same as the day I got it. Not plugging an aac here but Its a pretty good can for around $500. Just stay within your budget and listen to as many in person as possible. Also remember to run 230 grain or higher through whatever you get to maintain sub velocities.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    you've got several really great options for a 45 can, most are wet suppressors. In 45 from my experience just means that every 8-13 shots you throw a little more gel or water in the can to help cool the gasses and maintain your suppression. Some of the newer 45 cans are hearing safe dry and they sound pretty good but with 45 a little media in the suppressor always drops the sound. Ive heard gemtech, silencerco osprey, aac evo, and aac ti rant and all did the job they were meant to do, even though the ti rant can be ran dry it was still better with wet media in it. There are a ton of cans out there so its hard to see them all, I do know that the Evo 45 dropped in price whenever the ti rant came out and its been great on both my hk usp and 45 1911. Ive had mine for about 5 years now and its still working same as the day I got it. Not plugging an aac here but Its a pretty good can for around $500. Just stay within your budget and listen to as many in person as possible. Also remember to run 230 grain or higher through whatever you get to maintain sub velocities.

You are refering to .45acp.......he wants a can for a .40S&W.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Thanks for the info, folks. You've brought up a couple of points that need to be seriously considered. The sights on my G23 will definately NOT work so I would have to get them replaced (after just having the fiberoptic/tritium put on) or basically just end up point shooting :banghead:. Or..... I could get a threaded .45 barrel to fit in my Para (ramped) or my Colt Commander. The Para would be my preference right now if I could find a threaded barrel. The sights are dovetailed front and back on the Para and would be easier to change out. I do reload so I can put together subsonic loads for whatever I get. The .45 is looking better and better for the can. I really appreciate the recommendations.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    It's a little higher in price, but the Silencerco Osprey is available in .40, and it's an eccentric can, so it won't block your sights. I haven't picked up my Silencerco .22 can yet, so I can't say anything about their cans from personal experience, but their customer service is fantastic and the Osprey line seems to be very popular.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    It's a little higher in price, but the Silencerco Osprey is available in .40, and it's an eccentric can, so it won't block your sights. I haven't picked up my Silencerco .22 can yet, so I can't say anything about their cans from personal experience, but their customer service is fantastic and the Osprey line seems to be very popular.

I own a Silencerco Osprey in .45 (which can be used on .40 & 9mm by simply changing the piston out)....The sights on my G22 are NOT visable above the top
    of the can....maybe the .40 can is not as high, but then you still have to worry about finding sub-sonic ammo to get full potential out of it.

I am awaiting the stamp for my sparrow as well.

Top Bottom