• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    Hey Gang.

My stepdaughter is going to have some surgery on her brain (I just hope they find one) around the first of march.

The operation is going down at Memorial Hermann on Fanin street and the wife and I are taking our RV down to the All Star RV resort a couple days early for the family to stay in.

What kind of neighborhood am I getting into? Any security concerns in the area? Think the RV will be relatively safe if it sits empty a couple days? Will my normal CC be good or do I need to bring the whole arsenal? Anything to entertain me when i get tired of hospital sitting?

So far I have managed to avoid Houston so I know nothing about it except for the lovely weather and friendly drivers.

TIA
    Tango

Sent from my cheyenne mountain when the NSA wasn't looking.
    Texas SOT

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    When you need to get away for a break, eat at The Grove. Its a little pricey, but the food is great, and the setting is about the most relaxing place you can stop in at. Its across the street from the Downtown Hilton of the Americas.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    It's on 59/69 almost to the Beltway (near Stafford). Not too bad of an area; I'd rather be there than South Main.

The restaurant on top of the McGovern Commons building is pretty good; I don't know what's on the ground floor these days, but all of it is better than any of the hospital cafeterias.

What kind of entertainment are you looking for?

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    A quick search shows Memorial Herman may be posted 30.06 so take that into consideration.

Houston has more restaurants than you can shake a stick at, especially the international cuisine selection. Take advantage of it while you're here.

The museum district is pretty close to the medical center and offers plenty of distractions. Museum of Natural History, the Zoo, museum of Fine Arts, museum of Contemporary Arts, Herman Park, the Japanese Garden, etc.

There's a big Bass Pro at Beltway 8 and 288 which would be easy to get to from where you're staying.

I'm sure more folks will chime in with more suggestions.

tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    Thanks all. Good info.

By entertainment, I meant more like distraction. And the restaurant info is great. You're right, hospital food sucks ... Wait, hospital everything sucks. Lol.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    That RV park can be very busy and crowded. It may be a bit hard to deal with if you are a light sleeper. It used to be well taken care of and I'm sure still is but they really pack people in so you will have neighbors right up on you. Plan on it taking a while ti get in as the spaces are to small for most tow vehicles so they get parked on access roads making navigation difficult at times. Not much in the way of privacy but that also means it's a bit public for much crime. Lots of temp workers living onsite. Not bad for a few days but I wouldn't think of it as anything more than a place to park.

As to what to do Herman park can be a nice place to go and just get some air. Museums are in walking distance of the park along with the Zoo, golf course, hike and bike trails, and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is in town right now.

tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    That RV park can be very busy and crowded. It may be a bit hard to deal with if you are a light sleeper. It used to be well taken care of and I'm sure still is but they really pack people in so you will have neighbors right up on you. Plan on it taking a while ti get in as the spaces are to small for most tow vehicles so they get parked on access roads making navigation difficult at times. Not much in the way of privacy but that also means it's a bit public for much crime. Lots of temp workers living onsite. Not bad for a few days but I wouldn't think of it as anything more than a place to park.

As to what to do Herman park can be a nice place to go and just get some air. Museums are in walking distance of the park along with the Zoo, golf course, hike and bike trails, and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is in town right now.

Thanks bones. That's good info.

And I knew the rodeo was in town. The parks were all full. That one was actually our second choice. The other had no room at the inn.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    My place is in Waller so far out the level of stress getting to the Medical Center would be prohibitive for you.

To your question, lots of restaurants and museums in the area for distractions. Like anywhere stay on the main roads at night to stay out of bad areas.

The area of the RV park used to be fine but I remember when that whole area was the outskirts and thereafter it was all farm country so I may be off, as well as a little nostalgic now. You are in a good position to get to the Med center but remember, rush hour traffic in Houston is an alternate reality or, as others might say, the 5th layer of Hell.

Last edited:

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    The whole way from your trailer park to the hospital is a huge "hood" , so don't open your windows

Wife takes 90 to the med center everyday

There's a decent seafood restaurant on main

Baytown seafood

sent from the batcloset in the batcave on the batphone

tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    Thanks everyone for the information. I do feel better about letting the camper sit unattended for a little while.

More importantly, thanks for all the good wishes and prayers. They are appreciated.

PBR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Houston
    actually memorial hermann has some of the better food around -- or at least they did around 9 to 10 yrs ago -- i spent around 7 months in there 10 yrs ago recovering from a wreck where broke my neck, back and entire left rib cage (lost left lung) was in coma for 3 wks or so -- had to learn to walk again and everything -- really good people there or at least the ones i dealt with were, by far the best ever dealt with in hospital -- cant remember the name of the rehab place across the street from them but was sent there afterwards and spent around 4 months there -- was a great place also with nice people

hope all goes good and hope she recovers quickly

Top Bottom