APOD Firearms

A letter to the editor that should have been...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Received this in an e-mail today.

ORANGE COUNTY ( CALIFORNIA ) NEWSPAPER-New Immigrants
    This is a very good letter to the editor. This woman made some good
    points..
    For some reason, people have difficulty structuring their arguments when arguing against supporting the currently proposed immigration revisions. This lady made the argument pretty simple. NOT printed in the Orange County Paper...................

Newspapers simply won't publish letters to the editor which they either
    deem politically incorrect (read below) or which does not agree with the philosophy they're pushing on the public. This woman wrote a great letter to the editor that should have been published; but, with your help it will get published via cyberspace!

"David LaBonte"
    My wife, Rosemary, wrote a wonderful letter to the editor of the OC Register which, of course, was not printed. So, I decided to "print" it myself by sending it out on the Internet. Pass it along if you feel so inclined. Written in response to a series of letters to the editor in the Orange County Register:

Dear Editor:
    So many letter writers have based their arguments on how this land is made up of immigrants. Ernie Lujan for one, suggests we should tear down the Statue of Liberty because the people now in question aren't being treated the same as those who passed through Ellis Island and other ports of entry.

Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people
    like Mr. Lujan why today's American is not willing to accept
    this new kind of immigrant any longer. Back in 1900 when
    there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come to the
    United States, people had to get off a ship and stand in a
    long line in New York and be documented. Some would even get
    down on their hands and knees and kiss the ground. They made
    a pledge to uphold the laws and support their new country in
    good and bad times. They made learning English a primary
    rule in their new American households and some even changed
    their names to blend in with their new home.

They had waved good bye to their birth place to give their
    children a new life and did everything in their power to
    help their children assimilate into one culture. Nothing was
    handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labor laws
    to protect them. All they had were the skills and craftsmanship they had brought with them to trade for a future of prosperity.

Most of their children came of age when World War II broke out.
    My father fought along side men whose parents had come
    straight over from Germany , Italy , France and Japan . None
    of these 1st generation Americans ever gave any thought
    about what country their parents had come from. They were
    Americans fighting Hitler, Mussolini and the Emperor of
    Japan . They were defending the United States of America as
    one people.

When we liberated France , no one in those villages were looking
    for the French-American or the German American or the Irish
    American. The people of France saw only Americans. And we
    carried one flag that represented one country. Not one of
    those immigrant sons would have thought about picking up
    another country's flag and waving it to represent who they
    were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had
    sacrificed so much to be here. These immigrants truly knew
    what it meant to be an American. They stirred the melting
    pot into one red, white and blue bowl.

And here we are with a new kind of immigrant who wants the same
    rights and privileges. Only they want to achieve it by
    playing with a different set of rules, one that includes the
    entitlement card and a guarantee of being faithful to their
    mother country. I'm sorry, that's not what being an American
    is all about. I believe that the immigrants who landed on
    Ellis Island in the early 1900's deserve better than that
    for all the toil, hard work and sacrifice in raising future
    generations to create a land that has become a beacon for
    those legally searching for a better life. I think they
    would be appalled that they are being used as an example by
    those waving foreign country flags.

And for that suggestion about taking down the Statue of Liberty , it happens to mean a lot to the citizens who are voting on
    the immigration bill. I wouldn't start talking about
    dismantling the United States just yet.

(signed)
    Rosemary LaBonte

KEEP THIS LETTER MOVING. FOR THE WRONG THINGS TO PREVAIL THE RIGHTFUL MAJORITY NEEDS TO REMAIN COMPLACENT AND QUIET!! LET THIS NEVER HAPPEN!!

I sincerely hope this letter gets read by millions of people
    all across the nation!!
    Gun Zone Deals

Alamo Ann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    DeSoto, Dallas County, TX
    AMEN!
    A beautiful tribute to those who legally made America "the melting pot" that She is and to their children who cherished the blessings of being an American.
    My greatgrandparents on both sides came through Ellis Island; their histories still amaze me and they and their progeny all are depictions of lives "you can hang your hat on".
    Thank you for sharing this and GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I couldn’t have said it better, the main thing that pisses me off about these protesters is that they are throwing down the American flag and waving the Mexican flag around proudly instead of just standing on the fact that they want to be Americans too. The problem is that some of them want to live here and make money but be separate in all other regards. I have no issues with anyone who wants to enter this country, legally, and become a productive citizen, learn our language and culture and help defend our great nation. If you want to sneak in to this country, denounce our laws, fly your own nation’s flag, speak your own language and do whatever you feel then this is not the place for you. This country is a melting pot no question and anyone upstanding who abides by the laws of our country for the most part have nothing to worry about. Are there going to be instances of DWM, Driving While Mexican... yes our world is not perfect and you still have yahoos out there who where a badge and believe that America is for the white man and the white man only. For the most part LEO's have a pretty good handle on what a suspicious character is and why they may need to ask a particular person for proof of citizenship.

2Shots1Wound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    What pisses me off is the pseudo mexican nationalism and fake outrage of some of the spoiled juvenile students. These guys are just foaming at the mouth for some cause which seems to have arrived for them. Not one of these idiots can name a country that has jettisoned the right to preserve its own sovereign borders. The very idea of a map to these emotional people must conjure dark thoughts of racism and oppression that they never have really experienced themselves. These are the same offended individuals who wear their Che T-shirts like a badge of honor without knowing anything about the man. I don't lay this description on every protestor. The ones with legitimate concerns are unfortunately being drowned out by the hysterical herd. The media amplifies this position and morphs the debate further. It's about defining ourselves as a nation of laws and sharpening our ability to call out those that think otherwise..

Texas should follow Arizona

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    "In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American... There can be no divided allegieance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one lanutage here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Press 1 for TEXAS-ENGLISH .....I would give that tri colored flag of the Mexican Republic the same treatment and care that General Sam Houston gave it at San Jacinto, None, nada !

Top Bottom