• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, I could see that being heavier. Hope he only put the bed liner on the grip and not the whole thing! Once I get the paint, I'll let y'all know how it goes. Plan on doing the 870, a 226 slide and maybe some random objects just to see how tough it is. Biggest downside I know of is the week cure time...
    Texas SOT

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Yeah, I could see that being heavier. Hope he only put the bed liner on the grip and not the whole thing! Once I get the paint, I'll let y'all know how it goes. Plan on doing the 870, a 226 slide and maybe some random objects just to see how tough it is. Biggest downside I know of is the week cure time...

I'm not entirely sure it was bed liner. It might have been some other textured spray paint of some type. And yes I think he did do the whole stock (fore end and butt stock). I think is was put on after experimenting and very light. The pics looked good but ........?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    While it's apart, I did some work on the 870 trigger. They're easy to lighten and take some of the creep out, but it'd be way too easy to take too much engagement out chasing that creep down. Debating on doing a write-up...

I'm not entirely sure it was bed liner. It might have been some other textured spray paint of some type. And yes I think he did do the whole stock (fore end and butt stock). I think is was put on after experimenting and very light. The pics looked good but ........?

Yeah, seems like it might not feel good on your cheek under recoil.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    That Ishapore 2A is a neat rifle. When I worked at the prison, I was bored to death living away from home so I restored military rifles. I restored two of those and was very impressed with them! They were designed to be rifles for rear support troops and not front line service.

The 2A is not just a rebuilt Enfield. The receiver was totally redesigned and built to handle the 7.62 Nato round (.308). They have a neat free floating barrel arrangement in the forward end of the rifle. There is a spring loaded flat plunger that supports the muzzle end of the barrel.

The downer side is the finish. It's painted black with the crappiest black paint job imaginable. The stock is slathered in varnish, too. I took both rifles apart, placed them on cardboard and poured a whole can of paint remover over them! I put two weeks of tedious labor into each of them but they turned out great! The barrels on mine are like new.

Each stock has a giant wood screw installed completely through in them below the chamber area. I could have done without seeing that!

Flash

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    My plan for the 2A is a sporter arrangement, since it's a parts gun with no real significance. Probably finish it in Alumahyde when it's done.The paint should be here today, so I can start prepping my 870 for it. Should look good in Magpul's brown color.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The Alumahyde II Coyote is VERY close to the FDE used by Magpul. A little while ago I was comparing my 870 pieces to some Magpul stuff, it's pretty darn close.

Waiting a whole week for the epoxy to cure fully is killing me. I want to get this thing together and see what it looks like!

Bonus on a light-ish brown color over black? It'll soak up less sun sitting on a bench, which had a lot to do with my choice. Later, I think I'm going to get some shade of green and do a camo job.

But enough blah blah. Here's some photos. Sorry the lighting sucks, I'm too lazy to drag them outside during daytime hours. There's a PMag sitting on the bottom of the rack for color comparison, but again, it's a little dark.

156107_428208880539919_100000524322167_1511531_2135479545_n.jpg

Anyone recognize the type of rifle on the far right?

When I was sanding everything during prep, I was reminded that bluing is just a type of rust.

533312_428208957206578_100000524322167_1511532_179763470_n.jpg

The parts are already dry to the touch, but I don't want to have anything interfere with the week-long curing process, so I might as well leave 'em hanging. If you look real close, you can still kind of see where the rust was. But you have to look close, and you have to know what you're looking for.

Didn't paint the trigger housing, since it looked like it'd be a pain in the butt. Also left the bolt alone, partly because I don't care, partly because I don't know if this stuff will stick to nickel and partly because the nickel is cool.

Parts painted were the stock, fore end, receiver and magazine, magazine extension, clamp and nut. I masked the bead before I painted, since having some contrast there is probably a good thing... The sling swivels, side saddle and hardware, trigger assembly, bolt and extension clamp all avoided the can.

I'll get more pics when I put the shotgun back together. Might decide to try going through painting the side saddle, we'll see on that. The prep would be a bit more work than I really feel like putting in...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I would have loaned you my sand blaster if I knew you were going to be doing that...

That's alright. I've got access to one, and it didn't take too long to run some sandpaper over the shotgun. I didn't bother taking all the bluing off, since I think they just wanted a clean, semi-porous surface for the paint to stick to. If I'm wrong and screwed up, I'll just blast it and do it over. Doubt I used half a can of paint on this project, and I was putting it on fairly thick.

I bought two cans. Almost wish I'd got another color for the second can.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Looks great so far. I've already located an air compressor to try and get ready to Cerakote my Mav 88. I think I'm going FDE. Hopefully mine turns out as good as yours!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thanks, I hope this one turns out good. Until it's back together and I shoot it, the jury is out.
    you had better put that thing through the ringer so I know how the finish holds up
    Don't worry about that. Pretty much all my guns are knock-around guns. At the very least everything gets out to the range. I almost didn't paint the magazine, but decided it would make a great durability test.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I finally got around to reassembling the 870. It looks good, the un-painted parts make it look pretty cool. I'll get a picture tomorrow when it's light outside (and I can maybe freak my new neighbor out).

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    I finally got around to reassembling the 870. It looks good, the un-painted parts make it look pretty cool. I'll get a picture tomorrow when it's light outside (and I can maybe freak my new neighbor out).

I love doing that!!! full camo on my tailgate picking a banjo... you get the picture

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    A little late, but pictures.

From this ugly POS...

155870_173560449338098_100000524322167_488641_6405685_n.jpg

... to this.

546375_443382209022586_100000524322167_98333153_739280148_n.jpg

537709_443382329022574_100000524322167_98333154_1047564851_n.jpg

It looks good in that shot, all propped up on a rock or something.

I didn't paint the bead, any screws, the side saddle (duh), or the sling swivels. The shiny Marine Magnum bolt (that I ordered by mistake) actually looks pretty nice, IMO, and I like not having to worry about silly things like maintaining it properly.

The only change I'd like to make is ditch the TacStar side saddle for a Mesa, but the cheapy has held up alright. I'll upgrade when/if it shows signs it's going to fail.

Very glad I ditched the Knoxx stock. Junk. Though I do really like the fore end - it's comfy.

While it was apart, I did a trigger job on the shotgun. No idea what the pull started out at, but it's much lighter, and has a ton less creep. It was really easy, but I've been debating whether or not to post a how-to. It would be a really easy trigger job to get greedy and go too far. Honestly, that's the only hard part to it; knowing when to stop.

Shotgun specs as it is in the "finished" pictures:
    • Remington 870 Wingmaster
    • 20" improved cylinder barrel
    • 870 Marine Magnum bolt
    • Knoxx fore end, modified to clear saddle
    • Standard synthetic butt stock
    • TacStar 6 round saddle
    • Remington +3 extension
    • Modified trigger

Thanks to Wakal at Dreadnaught for helping me out by staking the shell latches in place.

... and tomorrow, I shoot it. Bexar Community range, I'll be shooting this and my AR. Might goof off with my Mark II while I'm there, don't know. Just look for the POS green Pontiac.

Top Bottom