• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I realized that I have projects starting to stack up. If you're interested to hear about them, here's what I've got:

Ishapore 2A: Got this as a barreled action, I need to get the rest of the parts to make it run. I think I'm going to turn it into a scout rifle. If you don't know what a 2A is, it's basically a Lee Enfield No1 Mk III* in .308 NATO, built by the Indians for their military.

Remington 870: This one's about buttoned up, all it needs is some cosmetic work. Got it as a stripped receiver with some rust pitting. Bought the internals, 20" barrel, magazine extension (with spring and follower), tried a couple of different stocks before I found one I liked (might try one or two more) and that's about it. Finally got the shell latches staked in place (thanks, Wakal!) so I can take it apart again if I want to. Accidentally ordered a bolt for a Marine Magnum, which brings the total number of different finishes on this mutt up to three. Four if you count "rust". Just need to clean the rust up and get it Duracoated.

AR15: Got an M4, decided it wasn't really for me. Almost sold it, then I got the itch to shoot 3 gun. So now it's going to get turned into a 3 gun rifle. All I've really done before the 3-gun decision was put an H3 buffer in for reliability and to help a bit with recoil impulse. Not much done so far; added a JP single stage trigger. Plan on low profile gas block and free float tube. Depending on how much money I wind up putting into 3 gun and carbine matches, it'll wind up with a better barrel somewhere along the line. Probably keep running the 6 position stock for now because the Millett DMS is so finicky about eye relief.

Arisaka Type 99 (ground mum): Doesn't really need much. Front band screw is missing. Need to heat the rubber-coated sling and remove it because I don't want to destroy it. It should make a fun little shooter, so I need to get some ammo for it along the way.

Finnish Model 39 Mosin: Discovered the firing pin is piercing primers, and I can't screw it out any further. Going to have to think hard on this one, I don't know if I've got the grinder skills to re-profile the tip of the firing pin.
    Venture Surplus ad

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Finnish Model 39 Mosin: Discovered the firing pin is piercing primers, and I can't screw it out any further. Going to have to think hard on this one, I don't know if I've got the grinder skills to re-profile the tip of the firing pin.

I had the same problem in my mosin. I marked where I wanted to grind it to, then I stuck the end in a drill, ran it full speed and flipped on the bench grinder and slowely working it down, keeping a constant round and making re-profiling pretty easy.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Good idea! Shouldn't take too much, it's not piercing that many primers. How hard was it to get the firing pin back into the bolt with that beast of a spring?

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Good idea! Shouldn't take too much, it's not piercing that many primers. How hard was it to get the firing pin back into the bolt with that beast of a spring?

Ya, mine was pretty minimal also but it did the trick! Putting the springb back wasnt tooooo bad, I did have to chase the firing pin a couple of times though haha

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Progress! I have a compensator on the AR for test and evaluation. Need to write a review on it, which I'll get done sometime this week I think. It's a SuperComp from GoGun USA.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Progress! I have a compensator on the AR for test and evaluation. Need to write a review on it, which I'll get done sometime this week I think. It's a SuperComp from GoGun USA.

I was looking at one of them for my AR a couple weeks ago... I would be curious to see your results

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Figured I'd update this thread, since I've done some work on these projects.

AR: Did a whole build-out on it, wrote about that in the rifles section. Home-made low profile adjustable gas block, light buffer, free float handguard, bobbed the hammer. Only had a little range time on it, but holy crap did it work great. Can't wait to kick some ass with this rifle.

870: Shot it in my first 3 gun match, haven't bothered to get it painted up. Pretty back burner now that I have a FN to replace it. Which brings me to...

FN SLP Mk I: New project! I already did a quick clearance job on the handguard to keep it from interfering with loading. Sanding drum on the Dremel, cleaned up with sand paper and Scotch Brite. You'll have to look close to see what I did. Will probably open up the loading port at some point, will definitely order an orange magazine follower from Brownells (it's for an 870, but it'll work) because I like to SEE that sucker. Probably won't bother having the lifter welded, since my thumb is too big to fit into the fork. Going to hit the range soon to make sure the rear sight is adjusted properly for slugs. Will also fiddle with the trigger at some point, see if I can't improve it a little. ... or completely destroy it. Either way.

M-39: Did the deed to the firing pin today at work. Cut back and rounded on the grinder, polished with 220 grit sand paper. Looks good, and I'm happy with the protrusion now. Hope to hit the range soon and test out my work.

2A: Got the parts sitting around to make it go bang. Need stock, need sights of some kind. For now, I'll probably just order up a set of issue sights and put on there. Still thinking about going scout rifle with it.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    How hard was it to get the firing pin back into the bolt with that beast of a spring?

You don't clip your springs? It's the lazy man's trigger job! Seriously, I clip the springs on nearly every gun I own. My Mosin had plenty to spare.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Just completed (almost) my project from hell: Rebuild a travel trailer from scratch.

All required to finish: Stain furniture, apply coating to counter top, tack the quarter round trim, install gun cabinet, and shotgun rack.

Next up: Convert Saiga .223 Sporter to original AK configuration.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    M39 is busting primers from overpressure, it turns out. I have a suspicion, so Im going to slug the barrel and see if it isn't a .308" diameter instead of .311".

Happier news, I got some Coyote Brown Alumahyde II on the way to finally make my 870 look good.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    M39 is busting primers from overpressure, it turns out. I have a suspicion, so Im going to slug the barrel and see if it isn't a .308" diameter instead of .311".

Happier news, I got some Coyote Brown Alumahyde II on the way to finally make my 870 look good.

Is alumahyde pretty good stuff? I've only ever used duracoat..

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Regarding the stock(s) for the 870, do they already have a finish on them or are you going to modify one to your liking? I ask because I read a while back that a guy sanded down his old crappy wood stock and sprayed it with bed liner. The picture of it looked very nice. And of course you can get several colors. If I remember correctly he indicated it was a little lighter than the synthetic/plastic stock he had been using. The best part was he used an old stock and all he bought was some bed liner spray. I might find an old stock of some sort and try it out.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Regarding the stock(s) for the 870, do they already have a finish on them or are you going to modify one to your liking? I ask because I read a while back that a guy sanded down his old crappy wood stock and sprayed it with bed liner. The picture of it looked very nice. And of course you can get several colors. If I remember correctly he indicated it was a little lighter than the synthetic/plastic stock he had been using. The best part was he used an old stock and all he bought was some bed liner spray. I might find an old stock of some sort and try it out.

Going to paint a stock for it. I don't see how the wood could be any lighter. I've got both laying around here and the plastic and wood feel about the same to me. Hard to see how wood can be lighter than hollow plastic...

I've got a plastic youth stock, I need to get hardware for it and see how I like a 12" length of pull.

That is kind of nice... better than having to airbrush it on...

Heck yeah. I don't have to buy an airbrush, I don't have to figure out how much I have to cut the stuff to get it to spray right, I don't have to clean the airbrush...

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    shoot, I'm half way sold on this alumahyde stuff. So I'm understanding that this stuff is essentially spray paint? also how's it looking so far?

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Going to paint a stock for it. I don't see how the wood could be any lighter. I've got both laying around here and the plastic and wood feel about the same to me. Hard to see how wood can be lighter than hollow plastic...

I've got a plastic youth stock, I need to get hardware for it and see how I like a 12" length of pull.

Heck yeah. I don't have to buy an airbrush, I don't have to figure out how much I have to cut the stuff to get it to spray right, I don't have to clean the airbrush...

Think I might order me some once I run thru all of my duracoat. Id be curious to see how it wears

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!

I think it was an "overmolded" stock by Hogue, etc. that was the heavier one than the wood to the best of my memory (it's been a while back).

Top Bottom