• codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    December 19, 2010

.308 Winchester/7.62 NATO Outlawed by Iraq for PMCs?
    I just had a very interesting phone with a defense contractor, who informed me that the Iraqi government just passed a law that outlaws the use of .308 Winchester/7.62 rifles in Iraq by private military contractors.

As a result, overwatch teams that have been using rifles chambered in this caliber for counter-sniper roles are going to have to find other long-range calibers that meet the standards of Iraqi law. I have no idea if this affects 7.62 machine guns as well.

Why has this been done? I have absolutely no idea, and cannot find the first mention of this in the MSM or military media at this time. There is the possibility that this is a false alarm or miscommunication of some sort, but if it is, it is a miscommunication serious enough that PMCs are reaching out for alternative weapons.

I'll update if I learn any more.

Confederate Yankee: .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO Outlawed by Iraq for PMCs?
    Hurley's Gold

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well if that's true, maybe 7.62x54R would be fine so PKM time baby! ;) There's also .300 Winmag, .338 Lapua, and any number of other calibers. Still, if that's true, it's yet another example of government douchebaggery.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Pretty easy here: Mooslim state, non-mooslims killing mooslims. Gotta stop that regardless of what those mooslims were doing at the time the non-mooslims killed them. Next rule will require asking the mooslim terrorists to stop 3 times before shooting them.

Gamer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Baghdad, Iraq
    That is not all the way true. The 308/7.63 round is good to go, it is the M240 MG (7.62) that we are not allowed to use anymore. Only the M249 (5.56)

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    That is not all the way true. The 308/7.63 round is good to go, it is the M240 MG (7.62) that we are not allowed to use anymore. Only the M249 (5.56)

Is the PKM still on the table? 5.56 doesn't stop a car anywhere near what a .30 cal will do.

Good thing your old broomhandle Mauser is still good to go though...lol

Top Bottom