Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Negative. You'll just loose a little velocity. Hell, playing with ammo will effect the accuracy more than loosing 2".

Those are both excellent rifles. That twisted barrel and bolt on the high country is sweet looking in person.

I have the Predator in .243

Thats good to hear. I am really liking the predator but the high country isnt much more expensive. I was also considering the browning x bolt but I need to kill a few more hookers before I have the lettuce saved up for one of those lol

Hey you're back!

That one had me scratching my head too. I figured the high country being a mountain gun they would have went with 24-26 but still looks like a sweet gun. For their "magnum" calibers they go to a 24" barrel (300 win, 300 WSM, 7mm) with a muzzle brake and yep I am still here. I just butt heads with the admins of this place a little too much to come back fully :cool:

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thats good to hear. I am really liking the predator but the high country isnt much more expensive. I was also considering the browning x bolt but I need to kill a few more hookers before I have the lettuce saved up for one of those lol

That one had me scratching my head too. I figured the high country being a mountain gun they would have went with 24-26 but still looks like a sweet gun. For their "magnum" calibers they go to a 24" barrel (300 win, 300 WSM, 7mm) with a muzzle brake and yep I am still here. I just butt heads with the admins of this place a little too much to come back fully :cool:
    Yeah... that X-bolt is a premium. I wanted one too. But, the savages are lights out for the money.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Yeah... that X-bolt is a premium. I wanted one too. But, the savages are lights out for the money.
    Im having major regrets with going with a Ruger American over a savage. I have put just about every single factory 308 load through this thing and the best group I get out of it is 1.25 with 180 gr Power Shoks. I think I may have just gotten a bad one but I am very disappointed since most people usually get very tight groupings with them

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Before you judge the ruger make sure you’re stock is gtg. Not touching the barrel and mine likes the action screws at 55 inch lbs.

Other thing to consider is did you see what it did with cold bore groups?

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im having major regrets with going with a Ruger American over a savage. I have put just about every single factory 308 load through this thing and the best group I get out of it is 1.25 with 180 gr Power Shoks. I think I may have just gotten a bad one but I am very disappointed since most people usually get very tight groupings with them
    Yeah that is a bummer to hear. Guess you can unload it easily as a deer rifle. 1.25" at +-200yrds should work for a lot of folks in these parts. Hell, sometimes those are good to trade in and just put it behind you. A rifle that doesn't shoot tight just bugs the chit outta me.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Before you judge the ruger make sure you’re stock is gtg. Not touching the barrel and mine likes the action screws at 55 inch lbs.

Other thing to consider is did you see what it did with cold bore groups?
    Ive tried everything with it. I checked the torque on the original stock. Tried a boyds stock. Cold bore groups / hot bore groups. Breaking in the barrel etc. I just need a gun that works out of the box and I am tired of working on this one. I am going to stable it for awhile until I get around to trying some reloads with it.

Yeah that is a bummer to hear. Guess you can unload it easily as a deer rifle. 1.25" at +-200yrds should work for a lot of folks in these parts. Hell, sometimes those are good to trade in and just put it behind you. A rifle that doesn't shoot tight just bugs the chit outta me.

Yea I have shot a few axis deer, blackbuck and an elk with it. I hate to sell firearms that I have used successfully while hunting so I will keep it for now until I can try out a few other things. It came with a muzzle brake installed, but one thing I havent tried yet is shooting it without the muzzle brake. Not sure if that would change anything but I have heard of some people whose accuracy goes to shit once they put a brake on.

For the time being, I am looking forward to going the 6.5 cm route with a new rifle brand

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive tried everything with it. I checked the torque on the original stock. Tried a boyds stock. Cold bore groups / hot bore groups. Breaking in the barrel etc. I just need a gun that works out of the box and I am tired of working on this one. I am going to stable it for awhile until I get around to trying some reloads with it.

Yea I have shot a few axis deer, blackbuck and an elk with it. I hate to sell firearms that I have used successfully while hunting so I will keep it for now until I can try out a few other things. It came with a muzzle brake installed, but one thing I havent tried yet is shooting it without the muzzle brake. Not sure if that would change anything but I have heard of some people whose accuracy goes to shit once they put a brake on.

For the time being, I am looking forward to going the 6.5 cm route with a new rifle brand
    Oh yeah try that, man. That brake is affecting the harmonics of your rifle. Those rifles also have a skinny barrel. I bet you see either improvement or it get worse. Harmonics are a big part of a rifles accuracy. My savage LRP didn't shoot as tight until I got my can on the end. It calmed the rifle down substantially.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I wouldn’t even put anymore time into it. You got a bad one. I seen worse...my first gen American ranch in 300 blackout shot disgusting groups. My current one in 5.56 shooting hornady black 75 grainers shoots 3/4 or less. Way she goes. Like fireinthewire says he’s had good luck with savage. I will be making my next center fire bolt gun a savage.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Everyone I know with the Savage 6.5 Creedmoor likes them. Savage seems to have them dialed in pretty good.
    I built an AR in .224 Valkyrie and could not get it to group very well so I tried taking off the muzzle break. I have not sat down at a good bench with it but off a rickity folding table it will now hit an 8"-10" plate at 500yds all day long.
    Try the muzzle break.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wouldn’t even put anymore time into it. You got a bad one. I seen worse...my first gen American ranch in 300 blackout shot disgusting groups. My current one in 5.56 shooting hornady black 75 grainers shoots 3/4 or less. Way she goes. Like fireinthewire says he’s had good luck with savage. I will be making my next center fire bolt gun a savage.
    That is some damn good ammo. It shoots tight for the $ per box.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I seem to remember for the 6.5CM that you need at least 22" barrel. I think either would be fine.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Just a suggestion, but look at the load data books and see what barrel length they are using for the loads listed. Many times, that is usually the optimum barrel length for those loads in that cartridge. Sometimes the also the most common barrel length for those cartridges as well that are offered in factory rifles.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I'd get the 24" barrel if it were me. I run 26" barrels on both my custom 6.5 CM's,but they are mainly used for long range work out to a mile.
    If you hunt out of a blind,the shorter 22" barrel might be a good choice also. I've cut most of my hunting rifle barrels down to 20" since I use suppressors. Trying to maneuver a 26" barrel with a 9" long can hanging off it around in a blind can be a lot of fun trying to stay quiet!

Top Bottom