• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txfireguy2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Temple
    I actually had this situation not too long ago. What did I buy? Remington 700 Varmint in .308 (the ADL version, not SPS) from Dick's Sporting goods with a scope, $499-$50 mail in rebate from Remington. Total was $490 after taxes. Now, I splurged a bit, over the $500 dollar budget because I swapped to a better scope, a Vortex Viper, but the cool deal was that I had broken a previous cheaper model Vortex scope and they upgraded me to this $500 scope for next to nothing. The rifle is now my "project" gun, it will eventually have a new custom laminate stock, hinged bottom metal, Timney trigger and a few other nice mods, all in good time though. But all that said, for $500, you can get into a functional Remington 700 that shares the same barrel and action as the 700 Police model, just with a cruddy stock and non-user adjustible trigger. It can also be had in other calibers as well.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I was drooling over ADL's a long time ago in an Academy catalog. I loved the price, and I wanted something in .308. However it didn't have a drop plate if I recall correctly, meaning if I inserted ammo, I'd have to cycle it out by chambering it. That wouldn't be a problem for me, because I wouldn't load live ammo if I weren't going to use it. Man, there are so many types of guns out there that I want, but you never know which one to get next :D

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would find the cheapest CETME I could, looked over thoroughly to insure headspacing and everything was in order, buy tons of mags for it because they're cheap. Buy ammo with what's left over. A mosin and several cases of ammo is probably the best idea, but semi auto is king when it comes to any kind of defensive stuff.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I would find the cheapest CETME I could, looked over thoroughly to insure headspacing and everything was in order, buy tons of mags for it because they're cheap. Buy ammo with what's left over. A mosin and several cases of ammo is probably the best idea, but semi auto is king when it comes to any kind of defensive stuff.

I've always wanted a CETME but prices have soared over a few years. I remember when you could get one for around $250 new, at least thats how much this other guy I know got his for. Said they were great when they were running right, but it would stovepipe alot with certain ammo, and I haven't heard too many good things about them. Plus I prefer the HK drum sight. I'd still buy one though lol.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    A worked over Ruger 10/22 with some Ruger and Butler Creek mags... Hogue Stock, better receiver, barrel, trigger group... 10,000 rounds of ammo... mainly because if standing ground it should last a bit and if one had to go mobile it would be fairly light to carry...

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    A worked over Ruger 10/22 with some Ruger and Butler Creek mags... Hogue Stock, better receiver, barrel, trigger group... 10,000 rounds of ammo... mainly because if standing ground it should last a bit and if one had to go mobile it would be fairly light to carry...​
    You could fend off alot of rabid squirrels with that set-up !

texradop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    conroe
    custom 10/22 or ak maybe a mosin or a few if the wife lets me damn do i have enough room in the safe for another gun??

slammr

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    Plano, Tx
    Mags can make a huge difference in over-all affordability and should always be factored in. A $500 AK with 30 mags ($9-$20 each) costs almost the same as a much nicer $900 PTR-91 with 30 mags ($.99 each)!

And how the hell is one person supposed to carry 30 mags around... :-)

American ME!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    North Texas
    I'm not looking to buy anything, but hypothetically speaking, if you had a thirst for a rifle around $500 OR LESS, and one rifle only, what would you buy? Now that doesn't mean get 2 of some cheap rifle for $500, but instead only one.

For example, a cheap saiga 12 gauge or an AK in any caliber. Maybe a GSG of some sort.

I honestly don't know. I'm only being up front about it.:patriot:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    SAV 96782 93R17TRRSR 17HMR THREADEDBBL

71748.jpg

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That's a tough question. Probably a milsurp, but if we're talking new rifles it would probably be a nice rimfire like the savage posted before me, only in .22 LR.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Wow surprises me no one mentions a .22. I would choose a nice 22, any of them I have a Weatherby and Browning but have had some others. For 98% of what we have for game (if it were legal) a .22 handles it. Most anyone can stock up 10,000 round of ammo easily, not as easy with other calibres and if SHTF a whole bunch of .22s hitting you is going to at least make you think. If I only had one rifle to provide food and protection it would be the 22. I have lots of other calibers but a .22 is the ultimate rifle..

Top Bottom