• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • REDSMITH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    jourdanton, tx
    has anyone heard of, seen or even shot an AR15 with a .50 BMG upper? i found a company that sells the conversion, i want it, but how well do u think an AR lower will handle that force? on the really gutblowing down side is the cost of ammo!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    A good brake will negate most of the recoil, and reloading will help with the cost. I have seen one in action, and they seem to do pretty well.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Someone at Westsidemustangs has shot one in. 50 Beowulf, if I recall correctly. He said recoil is reduced with... I believe he mentioned something about swapping in a heavier recoil spring.

read this link for more specific info
    its my build thread on westsidemustangs. The .50 Beowulf talk was in this thread.

my AR15 build

subhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2010
    tyler, TX
    +1 on the bohica, we have over 400 rounds down the pipe on ours and it works great, get the 24 inch barrel, we have a tru dot scope from walmart on ours and its just damn fun shaking the neighbors houses! Cheapest cannon you can buy.

REDSMITH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    jourdanton, tx
    its just damn fun shaking the neighbors houses! Cheapest cannon you can buy.[/QUOTE said:
    so true...that conversion is something i have to put on my wish list unfortunately, the price for pretty muchly any .50 conversion is a little too much for me @ the moment. i can do something a little smaller if any1 knows where i can find a 7.62x39 or 243 upper.....spent hrs looking on the net and calling gun shops, i can buy the entire rifle, but if i can find an upper.....what i save on that can go towards a good scope to match.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I also have a BOHICA. Love it. No issues. You can find 50 BMG rounds pretty easy now for less $2.50 each. so it's cheaper than most Weatherby's to feed.

While I do like my rifle, you must be warned that there was a Kaboom involving one last year or so. Search the internet for that, it happened in California and might have been the shooter not the gun. Just fair warning, what caused it is common on AR uppers like that. Be sure to place the rifle on safe each time you load, and make sure the bolt handle is fully down before switching to fire. I know it's a PIA, but some of these rifles can fire when the lugs are not fully engaged.

subhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2010
    tyler, TX
    +1 , We always safe the bohica in between loads and check to make sure the firing pin is not emerging from the lug, glad to see there are some other bohica folks on here, local LE friend came over and tested ours on saturday, "How hard does it kick", he asked, at which point myself and my brother both said bout like a 12 gauge, lol , should have told him more like a 12 gauge with 3 1/2 slugs. It is so much fun.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    has anyone heard of, seen or even shot an AR15 with a .50 BMG upper? i found a company that sells the conversion, i want it, but how well do u think an AR lower will handle that force? on the really gutblowing down side is the cost of ammo!

I've seen issues with hammer springs being too light for some of the .50 BMG primers, other than that, it's good to go.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Besides the LA blow up mentioned earlier, I haven't heard too much bad about them if you use a stronger hammer spring.

What a buyer has to decide though is trying to spend as little money as possible to fire off a 50 BMG two inches from your face really a good decision? I know any gun can have problems and all that, but just something to think about.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    1432d1045880652-new-50-cal-jadedbig.jpg

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    saw that somewhere else on here i think.
    seemed liek a perfect opportunity to use it again though

Top Bottom