• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    Always seemed like the 5.7X28 was an interesting option, but the price of ammo and the difficulty of reloading always made me choose other options. So, with the renewed interest by the industry, what is today's wisdom for choosing the 5.7X28?

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    5.7x28 just doesn't have the track record or the production volume of other cartridges right now. It has a niche as a HD gun for people who are sensitive to recoil....but a 10/22 loaded with Velocitors can serve that purpose, too.

I'd stick with 9mm and .22lr for volume storage....maybe add .38Spl and. 357Mag for heavier uses.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I've shot a lot of 5.7's, i have no problems with the caliber itself, but no one seems to be making economical range ammo, or good reliable defense ammo in sufficient quantities. AAC has been making some, but their loads are pretty weak, from what I've heard.

I'd take a 9mm. Lots of good JHP's with good street rep, everyone makes guns in this caliber, and range ammo is cheap and plentiful.

twarr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Austin
    I have a Ruger 57 and love it. But I wouldn’t count on it for EDC. I still depend on my SR9 with a high level of confidence.
    I reload for all my guns, so ammo in general and the scarcity of 5.7x28 in particular isn’t really a factor. Even though it takes 3-4X as long to reload the 5.7 because it’s a finicky round, I can produce enough to practice regularly. Someone who doesn’t reload has to consider the availability and limited selection of ammo. Also, the unique loads that the caliber was designed for, the SS190 and SS193 subsonic, have been banned in the US, leaving it more of a curiosity than a unique caliber.
    One (unnamed) company makes some radical defense rounds for the 5.7, but I personally have a low regard for this company and who wants to be tied to one supplier?

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    With the Cartels being abundant, my CHL instructor ( VN era Green Beret) bought one for it's ability to penetrate a Level III vest.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    There is nothing 5.7 can do that bi-metal FMJ Wolf 9x19 115-gr can’t
    Cost a little more and for some it looks cooler when your loading the mags.
    Side note.. I'm sure it shoots flatter and farther but Really?
    I've never been interested enough to research it much, but is if it were Awsome everyone would have one or six.

Top Bottom