• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Anyone know much about this round? It kind of makes me sad that I don't have a gun in this caliber every time I see the ammo for sale. You can seem to find a lot of it for something like 12 or 15 cents/ round, which beats the socks off prices of brassed .223 and handily beats steel cased .223 .

Heck, I couldn't reload a round that cheap. .035/primer, ~.07 powder, ~.08 bullet (not to mention that new brass is ~.20) I know I could bring the cost of primes and powder down some with bulk ordering, but I can't do that just yet.

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    get it.you wont want to shoot anything else. cheap ammo and an absolute pleasure to shoot. great ballistics for home defense and hunting,much better than 223/556. it tumbles very early in flesh and yaws.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Cheap does not always equated to 'effective'. .22's are cheap. Sending your hard-earned money to some communist nation so they can afford to update their ammo factory? Maybe a bit short sighted.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    The 5.56x39 is a wonderful round. And the rifles available for them are cheap (relatively) right now. Like a polish Tantal, or a AK-74.

espnazi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    El Paso
    Cheap does not always equated to 'effective'. .22's are cheap. Sending your hard-earned money to some communist nation so they can afford to update their ammo factory? Maybe a bit short sighted.
    There are test out there that suggest that 5.45x39 is more effective than 5.56, and these rounds have already been imported into the country from Russian surplus if you don't buy them somebody else will. lastly Russia has declared itself as no longer communist.

espnazi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    El Paso
    I know what you mean and I'm with you, but I'm trying to be factual here and just because a round is made in X country it doesn't make it a bad round.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Didn't say it was necessarily a bad round. It's also not particularly fantastic. Just don't like sending my hard-earned money to help out a Marxist nation overseas when I can spend it in the Marxist nation that the USA is becoming. Mostly just razzing y'all a bit.

Look, in the long run the cartridges that are going to be the most available, have the most guns chambered for them, and are most likely to remain affordable are those in use by the government. That used to be .30-06, .45 ACP, and .308. Now, it leans more towards .223, .40 S&W, and 9 mm. Berdan primers means that this round is not reloadable. Steel cases make me nervous.

But if you like it, then you certainly don't need my blessing to shoot it. In fact, I love that there is a big variety of cartridges to choose from and am always interested in seeing something different at the range.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    A little food for thought, during time of war (now) look at the back of winchester white box 9mm fmj's. They are made by sellier and bellot. Not saying there's anything wrong with the Czech Republic but it's no USA.

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    maybe they should make it here then....but untl they do im buying combloc......its a great round and more effective than 556

Top Bottom