Texas SOT

5-16-2014...33 Years Clean & Sober Today!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Today, 5-16-2014 is a HUGE anniversary for me! Today marks the 33rd year that I was freed from alcohol and substance abuse! With your permission, I'd like to credit those responsible for that transformation.

First, I was into a lot of things but will not mention those things in the open forum because the "Blue Meanies" are listening in. Let it suffice that my life had turned to shxt, I was in despair and saw little of value in my existence.

I got into Alanon, a program designed for family and friends of alcoholics because my father was a drunk. Knowing that I couldn't work that program through a haze of chemicals, I stopped using anything of that nature. I worked that program for TWO YEARS before admitting that I had an abuse problem of my own! I couldn't see it, myself. That's why they call substance abuse "cunning and baffling."

So......I got straightened out because my dad was a drunk then finally figured out that I had some issues to work on myself!

I was fortunate as I was never arrested or charged with anything! My record is absolutely clean with no hiccups. I damned sure deserved to be slapped down but that never happened!

New members of 12 step programs are asked to speak to share their stories with others and they spend a lot of time on the "drunkalog". I'm not going to do that. Fill in the blanks and what you imagine will probably be correct.

Since May 16 of 1981, there have been many profound changes:

I trashed who I was and created an entirely new person. I am actually a composite of many people that I met over the years. I'd meet someone and think "I'd like to be like him" then I'd adopt his/her traits as my own. The 12 step programs taught me that I wasn't tied to the past and I could be anything that I wanted to be.

I returned to school and earned my Masters Degree with a perfect 4.0 from Oklahoma State University. Graduated with honors and was elected to Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society.

Became a teacher and worked in that profession for 23 years, helping many people find a better life.

Earned "Master SCUBA Diver" and "Divemaster" ratings and went diving in many exotic locations.

Traveled extensively all over the US by air, car and motorcycle.

Moved, lived and worked all down the center of the US.

Earned good money, spent a lot of it and made a wonderful life that started at ZERO as a baseline!

The use of substances was totally removed from my life. I never "slipped" and became a new person. I am 67 years old. Half of my life was centered on the dark side. Half has been centered on the side of, honesty, truth, light and enlightenment.

This thread is not about bragging or self congratulation. Someone out there may need to hear this story!

This transformation was created by my Higher Power and the wonderful people in the 12 step programs. I did NOT have sense enough to do this for myself. Thank God for delivering me from darkness and despair and lifting me into the light!

Flash
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Congratulations on another successful day Flash. I mean that with utmost sincerity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    That's awesome! Congratulations! I just made 4 years at the end of March. I still have a ways to go, but I believe I am doing things right.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Congratulation! Your story would be the same inspiration for quitting smoking. Give Jake a pat on the head while you're at it, he'll have you around a lot longer.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Today, 5-16-2014 is a HUGE anniversary for me! Today marks the 33rd year that I was freed from alcohol and substance abuse! With your permission, I'd like to credit those responsible for that transformation.

First, I was into a lot of things but will not mention those things in the open forum because the "Blue Meanies" are listening in. Let it suffice that my life had turned to shxt, I was in despair and saw little of value in my existence.

I got into Alanon, a program designed for family and friends of alcoholics because my father was a drunk. Knowing that I couldn't work that program through a haze of chemicals, I stopped using anything of that nature. I worked that program for TWO YEARS before admitting that I had an abuse problem of my own! I couldn't see it, myself. That's why they call substance abuse "cunning and baffling."

So......I got straightened out because my dad was a drunk then finally figured out that I had some issues to work on myself!

I was fortunate as I was never arrested or charged with anything! My record is absolutely clean with no hiccups. I damned sure deserved to be slapped down but that never happened!

New members of 12 step programs are asked to speak to share their stories with others and they spend a lot of time on the "drunkalog". I'm not going to do that. Fill in the blanks and what you imagine will probably be correct.

Since May 16 of 1981, there have been many profound changes:

I trashed who I was and created an entirely new person. I am actually a composite of many people that I met over the years. I'd meet someone and think "I'd like to be like him" then I'd adopt his/her traits as my own. The 12 step programs taught me that I wasn't tied to the past and I could be anything that I wanted to be.

I returned to school and earned my Masters Degree with a perfect 4.0 from Oklahoma State University. Graduated with honors and was elected to Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society.

Became a teacher and worked in that profession for 23 years, helping many people find a better life.

Earned "Master SCUBA Diver" and "Divemaster" ratings and went diving in many exotic locations.

Traveled extensively all over the US by air, car and motorcycle.

Moved, lived and worked all down the center of the US.

Earned good money, spent a lot of it and made a wonderful life that started at ZERO as a baseline!

The use of substances was totally removed from my life. I never "slipped" and became a new person. I am 67 years old. Half of my life was centered on the dark side. Half has been centered on the side of, honesty, truth, light and enlightenment.

This thread is not about bragging or self congratulation. Someone out there may need to hear this story!

This transformation was created by my Higher Power and the wonderful people in the 12 step programs. I did NOT have sense enough to do this for myself. Thank God for delivering me from darkness and despair and lifting me into the light!

Flash
    Congrats and you have the right to brag in yourself. It takes a great person to turn their life around and change their life for the better. I have family members and neighbors that had their problems and I haven't witnessed anyone completely turn their life around and I've personally lost some friends to the prison system and god from their addictions. Be strong and continue.

Good job.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish

Flash

Thanks for letting me be a part of this cyber-celebration. I have the utmost respect for you, sir.
    You don't need permission for anything ... you earned the right, as far as I'm concerned.

Growing up one of my many step-fathers was a raging alcoholic.
    His dual personality had a huge impact on my life.
    It was my day of "awakening".

For those who don't have or never lived with someone who has an addictive personality, you can't fully appreciate Flash's accomplishment.

My hat's off to you, sir. Have a tall glass of iced tea on me.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Congrats flash an accomplish worth bragging about and if it helps someone else out even the better

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Way to go Roger! As the son, brother, and friend of three alcoholics I know first hand how devastating the disease of addiction can be. My hat's off to you sir!

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Since I retired, my life has slowed down, stress is almost zero and I have lots of time to occupy with hobbies. Having time to think can be a two edged sword. I keep seeing mini movies in my head of things that I did in my previous life. I hurt many people and there's nothing I can do to make those things right. SO....I gave myself permission to let the past go. It was a different time, different place and it was a different me. It's hard to forgive even yourself but that's what is necessary.

On a lighter note, the Gypsy life enabled me to adopt the many changes that were required in my rebirth. I would move to a new town and decide who and how I wanted to be. I was able to try out that role until the next time I made another career change. Some changes worked and some didn't but adjustments were made as the years went by. I know that sounds strange but when your life starts out badly and just gets worse, there's very little worth keeping. There's no point in remodeling a hulk. Tear the SOB down and start over!

NICE didn't work well. NICE just encouraged folks to walk on me. I'm clean & sober but there's no rule saying that I need to be a door mat. I am very assertive and have always stood up for myself. I don't back up, back down or take crap. Many years ago, I wrote this:

FLASH'S CREED
    I am what I am, no more, no less,
    I have nothing to prove and no one to impress!

Truthful, loyal, I'll do what's right,
    and for a friend, to death I'll fight.

That is how I CHOOSE to be,
    and I would never change for thee.

So....if you like me,
    that's a gas.

If you don't then
    Kiss my ass!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    "I am very assertive and have always stood up for myself. I don't back up, back down or take crap."

I was born & raised in Chicago and moved a lot. Everywhere I went, I felt out of place. My attitude sucked according to everyone else and I was perpetually homeless. That is............until I got to Texas! Hell, I fit right in with Texans! I've been in Texas longer than any other place that I've lived. I have come home.

My will states that I be cremated and my ashes be sprinkled in the back yard of my home. I love it here and I'm NOT leaving!

Flash

Top Bottom