• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gordo

Well-Known
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Most of these old coots think 7 rounds of 45aarp is more than plenty so take their opinions for what it's worth.
    Damn kids these days who rely on spray & pray shooting with 9 Micro Mini bullets these days.
    The only thing worse is a .30 Slimy Chicken.
    Learn how to shoot, and carry a larger pistol.

By the way, my 1911 holds 9 rounds, but we all know that math is racist...

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Since it's unlikely you will be rocking some ear muffs when you are defending yourself I recommend a gun that won't blow your damn ear drums out when you fire it. I shot an anaconda twice without ears and probably still have hearing damage from that. I want to incapacitate an aggressor not myself. Dare ya to do it once, bet you never will again.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I carry one of these. It's a bit cumbersome, but nobody's gonna mess with me.

1722913053305.png

Roscoe

Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    Our agency provided us with ear plugs that would allow normal conversations, but cut back on extreme noises. They worked pretty well - sometimes.

Brojon

Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    For what?

Firing the bullets at that speed might be more accurate than throwing them but they don't travel much faster.

If it's just "I'm old and like old shit" then have at it.
    Generally same speed as 45 so not sure why you're dissing it. I'll guarantee it will mess a bad guy up.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Generally same speed as 45 so not sure why you're dissing it. I'll guarantee it will mess a bad guy up.
    The ammo is excessively expensive, the guns generally carry 6 rounds or less, and the severe lack of actual personal defense rounds are a few reasons to diss it.

I have no personal issue with what someone likes. I don't really care. But to say it's a great round is highly inaccurate.

Brojon

Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    The ammo is excessively expensive, the guns generally carry 6 rounds or less, and the severe lack of actual personal defense rounds are a few reasons to diss it.

I have no personal issue with what someone likes. I don't really care. But to say it's a great round is highly inaccurate.
    I guess it depends on whether you reload as for expensive and there are several good SD rounds on the market - especially in 44 SPL.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Way back yonder at the range in 1970s when firing my Spesco 38 caliber, guy next to me was firing a 44 magnum, Ruger I remember. He offered to let me fire several rounds just for kicks. Was very interesting next to my pawn shop 38 cal. I can't see carrying something like that though. My 9mm hollow point and wife's 22 mag hollow point are sufficient to stop someone. Plain and simple.

Brojon

Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Way back yonder at the range in 1970s when firing my Spesco 38 caliber, guy next to me was firing a 44 magnum, Ruger I remember. He offered to let me fire several rounds just for kicks. Was very interesting next to my pawn shop 38 cal. I can't see carrying something like that though. My 9mm hollow point and wife's 22 mag hollow point are sufficient to stop someone. Plain and simple.
    Honestly mine are strictly woods and trail guns, No way I'd set off a 44 in my bedroom if someone lets themselves in. Hellcat 9mm with 17+1 is what's loaded and by the bed.
    2 mags backup and then we move to the 357 with 2 speedloaders. nearby.
    I do love to take the 44s to the range - that boom is hard to beat and since I reload with my own cast it's dirt cheap to shoot.

Top Bottom