• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Non-issue.

You hope it's a non-issue...

Quoted from the story, a common caliber and standard self defense ammo painted by an "expert" to seem sinister and evidence of malice:

The firearms investigator said that Fish’s gun — a 10mm — is more powerful than what police officers use and is not typically used for personal protection. And the ammunition Fish used to shoot Kuenzli three times, called “a hollow-point bullet,” is made to expand when it enters the body.

When he decided to pull the trigger, the prosecutor said, Fish should have known what the consequences would be.

Now imagine what this "expert" who thinks hollowpoints are unusual and that 10mm is too powerful would describe a .44 magnum as...

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    What happened to him?

Was it due to the ammo he used?

Partially, yes, and a judge that wouldn't allow evidence of the history of violence the man who attacked him exhibited. Fish was exonerated after spending three years in prison. But part of his conviction was from a lying "expert" who painted 10mm hollowpoints as some kind of super dangerous ammo that no honest person would carry.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Apr 15, 2013
    What happened to him?

Was it due to the ammo he used?
    Got charged for using 10mm for self defense..went to trial...got off..but it was very costly and a very bad ordeal for him.

Look it up

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I did.

Who would call 10mm overkill if someone is hiking and could encounter wild/dangerous animals.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Feb 19, 2015
    You hope it's a non-issue...

Quoted from the story, a common caliber and standard self defense ammo painted by an "expert" to seem sinister and evidence of malice:

The firearms investigator said that Fish’s gun — a 10mm — is more powerful than what police officers use and is not typically used for personal protection. And the ammunition Fish used to shoot Kuenzli three times, called “a hollow-point bullet,” is made to expand when it enters the body.

When he decided to pull the trigger, the prosecutor said, Fish should have known what the consequences would be.

Now imagine what this "expert" who thinks hollowpoints are unusual and that 10mm is too powerful would describe a .44 magnum as...
    Maybe the fact he shot an unarmed man might have something to do with all this?

No indication that the stupid caliber comments had anything at all to do with the conviction.

I would have to see a far better example than this.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Feb 19, 2015
    Got charged for using 10mm for self defense..went to trial...got off..but it was very costly and a very bad ordeal for him.

Look it up
    Got charged for shooting an unarmed person. The caliber had nothing to do with, other than some stupid comments by the prosecutor, from the story there.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    From the article....

"The firearms investigator said that Fish’s gun — a 10mm — is more powerful than what police officers use and is not typically used for personal protection. And the ammunition Fish used to shoot Kuenzli three times, called “a hollow-point bullet,” is made to expand when it enters the body"

Sure, not typically used, but he was in dangerous territory.
    And, not overkill anyway.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    They would have had a field day if he was in bear country carrying a 12ga.

Is one supposed to carry a gun for 4 legged animals, and another for 2 legged animals?

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Maybe the fact he shot an unarmed man might have something to do with all this?

No indication that the stupid caliber comments had anything at all to do with the conviction.

I would have to see a far better example than this.

"The stupid caliber comments" came from an "expert" brought in by the prosecution. You can decide not to believe they had anything to do with the conviction, but the prosecutor made them part of the strategy to try to put Fish in jail so they very much did.

As for the "unarmed person" he shot, you mean the guy with the history of violent behavior who attacked him? Whose history the judge refused to allow as evidence, which denied Mr Fish a fair trial? The same judge that refused to allow the forensic investigation of the scene, which showed that the dead guy was charging toward Fish when he was shot, to be admitted as evidence?

Read the story again - the deputy who responded was pretty sure it was clear-cut self-defense, but a friend of the attacker started a petition to have Fish charged and it turned into an effort to railroad him. Luckily he was exonerated, but he had to spend 3 years in prison waiting for it. Ignore what you choose to, but for the rest of us the facts are pretty clear.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Feb 19, 2015
    "The stupid caliber comments" came from an "expert" brought in by the prosecution. You can decide not to believe they had anything to do with the conviction, but the prosecutor made them part of the strategy to try to put Fish in jail so they very much did.

As for the "unarmed person" he shot, you mean the guy with the history of violent behavior who attacked him? Whose history the judge refused to allow as evidence, which denied Mr Fish a fair trial? The same judge that refused to allow the forensic investigation of the scene, which showed that the dead guy was charging toward Fish when he was shot, to be admitted as evidence?

Read the story again - the deputy who responded was pretty sure it was clear-cut self-defense, but a friend of the attacker started a petition to have Fish charged and it turned into an effort to railroad him. Luckily he was exonerated, but he had to spend 3 years in prison waiting for it. Ignore what you choose to, but for the rest of us the facts are pretty clear.
    None of the jury's post-trial comments made any reference to caliber. They did reference other issues.

I am not passing judgement on whether or not he should have been convicted or if the trial was properly conducted, so please leave that strawman out of the discussion.

Sorry, I am not buying it with regard to caliber having been a determining factor in the jury's decision.

One could be hit on the had by a meteorite. But I am not going to go around under a mobile meteorite shelter. Something to do with probabilities. I will carry what I believe to be an effective caliber without regard to any other factors.

Feel free to have the last word.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    None of the jury's post-trial comments made any reference to caliber. They did reference other issues.

I am not passing judgement on whether or not he should have been convicted or if the trial was properly conducted, so please leave that strawman out of the discussion.

Sorry, I am not buying it with regard to caliber having been a determining factor in the jury's decision.

One could be hit on the had by a meteorite. But I am not going to go around under a mobile meteorite shelter. Something to do with probabilities. I will carry what I believe to be an effective caliber without regard to any other factors.

Feel free to have the last word.

Well, hey, I guess you were there so you know better, right? You know how DA's spend the money to hire so-called experts who'll come in so they can have no bearing on the trial...crazy, I know.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Hi guys and thanks still looking I have looked at 9 mm high capacity. auto but not for me if you can not do in one or two rounds well what can I say and moral is practice. practice thank goodness I have a very good friend. that reloads He can load them from mild to hot
    Well, you cannot do: Two to the chest and one to the head on five assailants with a six shooter without reloading a couple of times but you can with a 9mm holding 15 in the mag and you'd still have one left over. Just saying that in a jolly & good-natured way, not starting an argument for either type gun.

Brojon

Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Here comes the shit show...
    While I don't personally care what you carry..I would have to at least consider a slimy defense lawyer on a perp I shot a hole thru during a crime. As the crying mother sat there saying "ma baby din' do nuffin"...asking me why I decided to carry a round like that when police carry 9s and 40s.

Like I said...I personally don't care..but this is a question some people may think worth pondering.

This is the main reason I don't carry hand loads for SD.
    God forbid they found that out during the investigation into a shooting..
    A slimy lawyer would have fun with that.

Anyway..just wanted to toss that out there..
    The apocryphal stories about DAs making a case over handloads is pure fiction.
    Nobody has ever tried that one in a court of law.
    The sheer dumbass logic of claiming something is "more deadly" is easy to refute.
    Deadly is deadly - there is no more or less dead and all firearms are intended to be deadly.

Top Bottom