• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texreb66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Cleburne, Texas
    A guy at work seemed to think you could fire a .45LC through any .410 shotguns. Since I see all of these handguns that are .410/.45LC, it makes me think it could be possible. But, without any rifling, the .45LC would fire just like a slug, of course if it were possible. My first reaction is "No freaking way"...........
    What do you all think/know???????

Thanks a million
    Texas SOT

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i read a thread similar to this somewhere on the internet. and i believe the genral consensus was "not wise"

it seems to me youd havebetter luck with a .410 going out of a .45 barrel.

the other way around seems liek asking for trouble.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    .45 > .410

The outside of the cases might be the same diameter but the projectile of the .45 is larger so the inside diameter of the barrel is also larger to accommodate. Think about how much thicker the outside of a shotgun case is than a pistol case. If you fire a .410 out of a .45 with a long enough chamber you just get a crappy pattern because of the oversized bore. If you fire a .45 in a .410 you're going to get a stuck round unless it can swage itself down to .41" diameter.

mtaylor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Montgomery, Texas
    There are firearms made for this purpose. If you want to shoot both then get a gun designed for both. A Taurus The Judge is designed to fire a .410 or 45 Long Colt, but the chamber has no forcing cones and the barrel has no chokes. Send a 45 Long Colt down a shotgun barrel and you will not likely be around to brag about it.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Holy crap! Am I the only shooter who is obsessive about putting the correct ammo in a firearm? I still have all my fingers and parts and I credit my profound respect of firearms for that feat. World class genius designers brew up these firearms after millions of dollars in research and development. I'm not going to tinker with them to improve them out in my garage.

Flash

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Actually, it's been done for years by folks. Never did it myself, but lots of folks in the country tote 45 LC cartridges just in case what needs shootin' won't respect a .410 round.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    Actually, it's been done for years by folks. Never did it myself, but lots of folks in the country tote 45 LC cartridges just in case what needs shootin' won't respect a .410 round.

I have an old stevens single shot break open .410 that I've put .45LC through as well. Not really much of a POINT to it, .410 4 shot or even 0 buckshot will dispatch most anything that needs a return trip to it's maker very effectively.

Top Bottom